PDA

View Full Version : Climbing...

Mama Bird
03-24-2005, 05:37 PM
How on earth do I get my son to stop climbing? He's 2 1/2 and an extremely busy little boy. He climbs on everything...he's a total monkey. He climbs onto the kitchen cabinets, which scares the life out of me. He climbs onto my exercise bike. He climbs onto the back of the futon...

When the weather is nice, he can play in the backyard on the gym, but it has been cold and rainy here lately.

I've tried telling him that it isn't safe, that I love him and don't want him to fall down and get hurt. He says, "I won't fall, Mommy."

I've tried taking him down and redirecting him.

I've tried taking him down and showing him the damage he is doing to the drawer pulls.

I've thought about buying a small climbing toy (like the ones often found in church nurseries) to have in the house for these kinds of days, but our house is small and I don't know where i'd put it. Help! :shrug

MarynMunchkins
03-24-2005, 06:10 PM
My kids are monkeys too. :) I've found Doug and Ana on top of the fridge more than once. :eek :D

Honestly, having climbing toys inside is the easiest way to curb it. We have a toddler slide, and I let Colin climb onto the table. I'd just keep him out of the kitchen in order to keep your drawars intact. :)

godsgracegiven
03-24-2005, 07:05 PM
Climbers here too, and the only thing that helps for us is redirecting. The thing that amazes me is that they rarely ever get hurt. :eek I would buy the climbing toy, then with the others stuff maybe, when your redirecting him say the exercise bike ect. is off limits.

Joanne
03-24-2005, 08:24 PM
Climbing toys are the best way to go. If that's not possible, set up "safe" climbing opportunities at home at regular intervals throughout the day.

Chairs, benches, stacks of cushions, stairs..... Anything. Because if you have a climber, you won't be able to change the fact that he WILL climb. You might be able to change whether he does it appropriately or inappropriately.

Charlie U
03-24-2005, 08:35 PM
My oldest dd has been climbing since she was 9 months old. We helped her by taking her off everything but the couches. She is not allowed to climb on chairs or tables. Every time dh or I take her off something she's not supposed to be on, we tell her why we're removing her.