PDA

View Full Version : Counted thread embroidery?

Wonder Woman
03-24-2005, 02:51 PM
I *love* to do embroidery, but have picked it up only a few times since I was 20 weeks pg for ds. He's 16 mo now, so I'm starting to miss it!

I'm hoping talking to some of you other mamas will inspire me again.

I love any counted thread embroidery that I've tried. So far, I've done Hardanger, Drawn Thread, Pulled Thread, Cross-stitch, Bargello, Silk Ribbon, and Beadwork. I love to design samplers...sometimes they look great, other times they don't. But I still have fun with them! I incorporate words into samplers a lot...I really like words. Can you tell? :P I tend to do a lot of 32ct. Jobelan over 1, so things are itty-bitty.

I just found a sampler that I started for our anniversary 2 years ago and didn't get to finish it. It *will* be dh's present this year! It's very subtle overdyed thread Bargello for sky and grass, with silk ribbon roses on one side. Then I will backstitch this poem: (Too old to be copyrighted)

Now the rite is duly done,
Now the word is spoken,
And the spell has made us one
Which may ne'er be broken:
Rest we, dearest, in our home,
Roam we o'er the heather,
We shall rest, and we shall roam,
Shall we not? Together.

From this hour the summer rose
Sweeter breathes to charm us;
From this hour the winter snows
Lighter fall to harm us:
Fair or foul - on land or sea -
Come the wind or weather,
Best or worse, whate'er they be,
We shall share together.

W.M. Praed

Of course, it will be 8 years since we got married...and the poem is entitled "The Newly Wedded" - but we have been through best and worst together. And more in love than ever....mushy sigh..... :heart :hearts :heart

lenswyf
03-25-2005, 04:53 AM
I like to do reproduction samplers for two reasons -- I love history and I love doing samplers with phrasings that direct ones sight to the Lord. Ok, three reasons -- they use lots of different stitches.

Wonder Woman
03-26-2005, 05:49 PM
lenswyf,
I haven't tried any repros yet. One day....
Here are a few pics of details from samplers I've done and kept. Most of my needlework is more elaborate but gets given as gifts. And I always forget to photograph it.... :rolleyes
http://www.picturevillage.com/photo/data/4855678ca8b08b092ab353309336db8a/20533_p277404.jpg

http://www.picturevillage.com/photo/data/4855678ca8b08b092ab353309336db8a/20533_p277405.jpg

http://www.picturevillage.com/photo/data/4855678ca8b08b092ab353309336db8a/20533_p277406.jpg

http://www.picturevillage.com/photo/data/4855678ca8b08b092ab353309336db8a/20533_p277407.jpg

cklewis
03-26-2005, 06:06 PM
Ooooo -- you're good!! :highfive

Really -- that's cool!! I'm impressed.

I've done this one for my niece (http://www.stitchability.co.uk/lavender%20lace%20guardian%20angel.jpeg). And someday I want to do this one (http://www.stitchability.co.uk/lavender%20lace%20angel%20of%20mercy.jpeg) for . . . well, you know what it's for. :) I know Elise has prett curly hair like that in Heaven. :hearts

C

Wonder Woman
03-26-2005, 07:38 PM
Gaaaack! Lavender&Lace? Girl,you are waaaaay out of my patience level! Those are gorgeous :heart I've never attempted anything that detailed. Well, I did try a Paula Vaughn once but only got the first rose spray done before tossing it aside. :shifty

I love designing samplers because I get to play with fiber and fabric and no one knows if I mess up because the *pattern is in my head* :P :P :P

And I love trying out new stitches.

Do you buy the L&L kits or but the stuff separate? My downfall is not buying a kit...I just add to my stash....and then I think "Oh, I could add this fiber here and change this stitch there" and I wind up with something totally not like the original :rolleyes

I think the one in memory of Elise would be beautiful..... :heart :heart :heart :heartflower :hug

lenswyf
03-27-2005, 04:31 AM
Beautiful! Most of my samplers are in a box waiting for me to frame them. I love doing them, and have grand plans for where I'm going to hang them, but the framing always nails me. I think I balk at the expense as much as anything...

booboo
03-29-2005, 06:04 PM
I've been cross stitching for nearly 15 years. I'm not a big sampler fan, though I've done a few mostly as gifts. I'm currently working on a small geranium picture for a woman at my church. Her birthday is the end of April and she's a very sweet lady. :heart Then hopefully I'll get started on Christmas gifts!

chelsea
08-08-2005, 04:51 PM
Beautiful work Rebecca! Alright, as this is one of the few embroidery "threads" (pun intended, hehe) :rolleyes on here I'm going to ask you girls...is embroidery how you put a slogan on a t-shirt? Does it take a long time? Is it difficult for an amateur? Just came up with an obsession to learn how to make slogan t's and wanted some advice! I hope this post belongs here!

Wonder Woman
08-09-2005, 02:11 AM
Thanks Chelsea!

Actually, the easiest way to make a slogan tee is to buy the transfer paper for your printer.
You can usually find it a W*lmart....just type out what you want your tee to say and print it - iron it on - and voila! a slogan tee :mrgreen

Teribear
08-09-2005, 08:15 AM
Yeah, embroidery is actually one of the more difficult ways to do a slogan tee. Particularly by hand. I don't know how you'd ever get the t-shirt knit stable enough for that. I have a commercial machine and do T's and stuff all the time, but they're SO not my preference.

You gals are making me want to get my cross stitch stuff out of storage and finish my "In the Beginning God" project that's been laid aside since DD was a toddler.

Wonder Woman
08-09-2005, 08:26 AM
You gals are making me want to get my cross stitch stuff out of storage and finish my "In the Beginning God" project that's been laid aside since DD was a toddler.

:poke :popcorn :rockon

chelsea
08-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Hey Rebecca, transfering on is a great idea! The slogan would probably just be more susceptible to "wear and tear" that way I guess! Although for what I'm going to use it for it is probably good enough (t-shirts for my son and for baby gifts, etc) I think I'll go check out Walmart today for transfering paper.
I don't know how you'd ever get the t-shirt knit stable enough for that.
Yah, I noticed on a breastfeeding t-shirt I ordered for my son they had to put a thick fabric behind the slogan/t-shirt to stabilize it. :think