PDA

View Full Version : What should my house SMELL like?

waremock
03-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Ok, the dilemma is this............. My house is having a (Open House) This Saturday as already stated in previos thread.
The Real Estate agent told us to do lots of things like repaint, shampoo all carpets, have all the window treatments open and to have the house SMELL GOOD :think I can not open the windows because it's freezing here still, and mind you that my house does not stink by no means :lol I will make sure there are no dirty dipes and the laundry will be done etc. My question that I hope you can all help me with is what is the best frangrence that would appeal to basicly EVERYONE!! I was thinking of crisp and clean cleansers like (Lestoil or Pine-Sol the floors an hour before?) Or should I use my Chocolate Brownie Home Interiors candle. or my Grape Vineyard Yankee Candle? What would you all recommend? TIA ~Michelle

MarynMunchkins
03-24-2005, 11:53 AM
I've heard that baking a loaf of bread will work. Personally, I'd simmer some apples and cinnamon in the crockpot and let it smell like apple pie. :yum

2TMama
03-24-2005, 12:56 PM
Reading the subject line of your post made me chuckle ......don't ask why, just sounds funny! I've also heard not to eat anything really fragrant.......greasy, fishy, garlic\oniony.......and second the baking bread along w/ your original deep cleaning !

Maggie
03-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Bread is good, but of the things you mentioned, I like the grape candle best. :)

2TMama
03-24-2005, 12:59 PM
oh, sorry this is separate, but right after I posted I thought about Febreezing the furniture/drapes since you said you can't really "air out" your home by opening the windows.

I know what you mean about your house not "stinking"..........but you know how homes can have their own distinct smell..but not "stink".........I guess a new home owner/potential buyer needs to be made to think it's "unscented" and just WAITING for them to move their OWN smells in! :lol

Maggie
03-24-2005, 01:04 PM
I guess a new home owner/potential buyer needs to be made to think it's "unscented" and just WAITING for them to move their OWN smells in!
:lol :lol

ArmsOfLove
03-24-2005, 01:32 PM
the suggestions I've been given by real estate agents include baking a loaf of bread, putting a few drops of vanilla on the burner and turning it on for a few minutes (so a vanilla candle might work for an open house). People seem to be drawn to the smells of baking and home--makes them feel domestic and see themselves in the house :)

waremock
03-24-2005, 01:36 PM
ok, I do have fabreeze.. do they make a Vanilla one? :think

cheri
03-24-2005, 04:45 PM
I think you should stay away from anything too strong or unusual. As one person earlier stated that she thinks the grape scent would be nice. honestly, smelling grape candle would make me sick and want to leave the house.

Most people like neutral or baking scents... like bread, pie, buttercream.

Maggie
03-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Good point, Cheri. Those would probably have more universal appeal. :)

tiglet
03-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Count me in with the baking scent people. I have reactions to a lot of the perfumes in candles and air fresheners - so I would want to leave the house really quickly if it was permeated with one of those, and might not take the time to really look at important things.

:)

MidnightCafe
03-25-2005, 12:59 PM
I just wanted to say that the smell of cleaners (like pine sol) would turn me off. They make me sneeze. I think baking bread or apples in the crockpot are both very good ideas. Candles can be strong & they have emissions that give some people headaches.

BeckaBlue
03-25-2005, 01:09 PM
I'd use fabric softener sheets all over the house for a few hrs befre they came home, gives a kinda 'clean laundry' smell

I love the clean linen smelling stuff and havent met anyone personally who didnt.

melbel1038
03-25-2005, 06:32 PM
Don't wanna go too crazy though cause they might wonder what you are trying to hide (i.e. using tons of febreeze ) :lol. But I'm with the others in using an apple or vanilla scented candle.

Miss Priss
03-25-2005, 07:55 PM
We sold our house (by owner) last summer. I actually got some of those microwave choc chip cookies and made them. It made the house smell really good, and then I left the cookies on a pretty plate beside the flyers with the details about the house with a sign that said, help yourself, please and enjoy! We didn't have an open house, but I did this every time I got a call that someone was coming to look. Don't know if the cookies had anything to do with it, but our house was only on the market for a week. :P

waremock
03-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Well, I went with the simmering of apples and cinnamon and :ptl We got 2 outstanding offers on our house today;-)))))) 5 grand more then what we were asking!!!!!!!! We might have to be out sooner then we planned also..Will find out Monday evening :dance :mrgreen

ArmsOfLove
03-26-2005, 09:49 PM
:congrats :roll Keep us posted :)

CakeLady
03-28-2005, 09:32 AM
I definitly think the smell of something baking is the way to go.