PDA

View Full Version : This is school, right?

TestifyToLove
03-24-2005, 11:25 AM
LOL.

Ds and dd begged me to teach them how to play chess last night. They are supposed to be doing their last school day before the Easter break and they are into their second game of chess for the day. I still want them to accomplish some math and geography today. But, otherwise, I think chess is a wonderful way to spend their school day. I'm amazed. They are 8 and 6 and I walked them through one game last night. They keep asking me if pieces can move X way, but otherwise they are playing the game themselves. Though, they get more wrapped up in capturing pieces and getting pawns across that they tend to forget to target the Kings! But, not bad for just having learned last night.

Cindy
03-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Hmm... thinking skills, problem solving, strategy... Yep chess is school :thumbsup

Sarah and I spent our day making "Easter Eggs" out of string and liquid starch... that's art right? ;)

Miss Priss
03-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Absolutely!

CelticJourney
03-25-2005, 06:08 AM
I sure hope so because working in the yard and starting food for Sunday is school (home ec) today! I also counted the 2 1/2 days we spent participating in a performance at church this past weekend. They learned a lot about theatre, time management, technology and animals (specifically if you want to keep a camel busy for a little bit, give him a potato to eat).

There are some things that can't be learned in a classroom; chess is one and camels eating potatos is another. :tu

Winkie
03-25-2005, 09:05 AM
sure thing!

waremock
03-25-2005, 01:47 PM
It sure is indeed :) Just like walking to get the mail is a form of gym class as is sledding :) :smile We count everything..Here in MA they require 900 hours and we just got it covered!! We have 6 weeks left of school!! WOO-HOO!!!

AttachedMamma
03-27-2005, 07:13 AM
Oh, you'll like this link! I'm sure there are more studies out there.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kaech5/benefits.html

Our 4 yo DD recently became enamoured w/playing checkers and I was surprised and glad. These are good games for the brain! :)

cindi

TestifyToLove
03-27-2005, 07:17 PM
Oh Cindi, I like those statistics on chess!

Truthfully though, I mostly want them to learn the game now because 1)they are interested and 2) if they can get it down-pat, then they get to play chess with my grandfather this summer at the family reunion. This summer may be the only time they get to meet my grandfather, and he's is a chess fanatic, but is terrific with kids (gives guidance and helps them win). Its my number 1 memory of my grandfather and its an experience I want them to have while they still can. Plus, chess is just FUN, imo.

I have to say, they played about 3 games that day. Eventually, the 6 yo got mad because she kept losing and refused to play anymore. But, they probably spent 3-4 HOURS actually at the board together, so that was fine too.