PDA

View Full Version : Freecycle

Marsha
03-24-2005, 07:48 AM
Man, I signed up two days ago. I haven't even gone to the website and looked around yet really, and my email inbox is STUFFED with updates!
I'm ready to unsubscribe! It's annoying!
Has this happened to anyone else? I mean, this is why I don't read FlyLady anymore, cause the emails just drove me insane.

Charity
03-24-2005, 07:52 AM
You could set it to get "digest" form which will put all the individual e-mails into one. But when you do that, you may miss out on getting something before others do. Things go quick on our freecycle board.

BeckaBlue
03-24-2005, 08:17 AM
i get the daily digest, id go nuts w/ the single emails. or you can set up a folder in your email (atleast some servers wll let you) so all the freecycle posts go in there

CakeLady
03-24-2005, 09:21 AM
I did this for a while and you definetly need to set your settings to "digest" mode or opt to not receive any emails. I love being able to get rid of things that I can't use, but that someone else can. The best part (at least where I am) is that the person who wants it has to come pick it up. :smile

purstrength
03-24-2005, 09:26 AM
You probably have the option of going "no mail" and then you can just read the emails on the group homepage at yahoo groups.

Marsha
03-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Usually, I am on the computer for an hour or so ONCE a day................things are posted, another email says PPU, and another one gone for EACH item it seems like every hour, so it was overwhelming. I can't just sit there all day and read them LOL.
I went "no mail" thanks for the tip.

purstrength
03-24-2005, 12:37 PM
You're welcome! I hope it works better for you!

PPU is pending pick up. (Not sure if you knew that the way you wrote, so I thought I'd explain just in case.) ;)

mamame
03-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Our group is a high volume group too and I decided, in the interest of simplifying, I went 'special notices' only and now just get important messages from the moderator. I'll post things to give away but I no longer am getting hundreds of posts a day (the month of February had over 3000 posts!) so it's much more managable.

Tamara
03-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Me, too. Special notices.

There was a notice sent out to our group about trying to protect the non-profit nature of Freecycle. Basically, they want everyone to avoid using "freecycle" as a verb as in "I freecycled my sofa." Rather, we should use it as a trademarked title, as in "I offered my sofa on Freecycle." They said there are some issues with other for-profit businesses trying to capitalize on the name association, and if we aren't approved for the Registered Trademark, then that will be allowed.

I'm especially bad about it with "google" as a verb (Just google it!), but I've been trying to stop it with Freecycle. I think it's an admirable organization and I'd like to see businesses restricted on using the name to earn a profit.