PDA

View Full Version : Math for kindergarteners? Arg. . . .

tempus vernum
03-24-2005, 06:07 AM
I am really torn right now - dd is definitely weaker in math than other areas so I was thinking of getting some manipulatives and maybe a manipulative guide I found this cool set with a parents guide and a book about using the manipulatives "all around town" (a kids book.) http://www.homeschooldiscount.com/home2/DERunifixhome.htm.

OTOH, I was looking at singapore math. so many people are starting to tell me they use it and I can get a workbook for only $8 to start to see how she does with it. My problem? Shipping! Things are reasonably priced until you start to get caught up in shipping prices :/

Then, someone brought to my attention MAth U See. I hate the idea of spending money and then having it not work for us :/

hearttender4
03-24-2005, 07:42 AM
I didn't use any specific program, but a skills approach--just worked with them on learning the skills below using things around the house or using a worksheet as needed:

Basic Skills:
• recognize basic shapes
• recognize numbers 1 to 10
• recognize numbers 11 to 20
• add and subtract numbers 10 or less
• identify the names of coins
• state values of individual coins
• count to 50
• count by 10s to 100
• count by 5s to 50
• count by 2s to 20
• tell time by the hour
• tell time by the half hour
• identifies one more, one less than a number
• identifies missing number in a simple sequence
• find position using ordinal numbers (first to tenth)
• knows some weights in pounds
• can measure using an inch ruler
• compares and order quantities
. finish patterns
. says the date when shown on a calendar
• identifies halves, thirds, fourths
• can use picture graphs, tally marks, simple maps

2TMama
03-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Jodi~

We use Singapore. DS (5 y.o. in May) really likes it. Most days he wants to do more than I have planned. At the bottom of each page are suggestions for visual aids/manipulatives and other "prompts". I have some Frog counters, but really a person could use anything............M&M's, pennies, noodles, beans, legos, socks, cereal, etc. etc. as far as that goes.

I was intrigued by some other Math "programs" out there...like MathUSee and Shiller........but I'd HATE to shell out so much cash and have it not work for us. Besides, it's KINDERGARTEN for goodness' sake. I'm sure we'd be able to better use the money for adding to our library or going on field trips etc. ;)

We bought an awesome magnetic calendar that I have clipped to the Fridge as well. It has the standard calendar then each day you move the date up to the top w/ the magnet that you choose describing the weather that day.....we talk about yesterday, today, tomorrow. At the bottom where you keep the names of the months, they're grouped in seasons.......so we discuss that too.

Good luck in your choosing~~ can be nerve-wracking, but is also fun at the same time!

Booklover
03-24-2005, 04:48 PM
I just ordered a whole bunch of Funtastic Frog books at Bookcloseouts.com. They are half price or less, and I probably spent $20. I will use them for K and 1st probably for ds #2 and dd, and then start wi9th Singapore or something. I have some frogs, but I will probably need more :think

Mothering by Heart
03-24-2005, 04:58 PM
Jodi did you go to www.singaporemath.com (http://www.singaporemath.com)? I buy mine from there and thought the shipping was reasonable.

IKWYM about K math. I start singapore in1st. For K, we spend a lot of time, playing with manipulatives and living math. "Oh, I forgot. we needed 8 forks and we only have 6. How many more do we need.?"

Leslie
03-25-2005, 09:36 AM
I don't know that you can really be weak on math in kindergarten. I liked Becky's suggestions, just doing informal counting and measuring around the house. And the suggestion about 'playing' with 'living math.' Sometimes a year or two of maturity can make all the difference, and if a child isn't ready yet, you can be beating your head against a wall trying to make them get it. Counting real things, helping you cook, dividing portions, filling glasses full and half-full, matching plates to forks when setting the table, will cement the concepts she'll need in her mind to understand math lessons later.

We've really liked Math-U-See. The initial cost for the manipulatives and everything can be a lot, but it can last for years. You re-use the blocks for three or four years. But, still, I didn't start formal Math-U-See lessons until first grade.

blessedmomof4
03-25-2005, 12:30 PM
We use Rod & Staff. I like the repetition and it's inexpensive!