PDA

View Full Version : Ham Soups...but please, not split pea!!!

RosieTook
03-24-2005, 12:15 AM
I bought a huge ham recently (gotta love easter sales :highfive) and I have cut it up as there are only 2 of us eating it...so I have 3 meal size hams (with enough for leftovesr! :tu) plus the bone and all the meat off of it, and I want to make a soup with it...I just don't like split pea and ham soup, so does anyone have any good recipes for us to try?? I want to use up the whole ham...it was a steal at $15...

TIA :idea

doubleblessings
03-24-2005, 05:28 AM
we really like black bean soup with ham broth and meat. Sorry I don't have a recipe - that is one of the meals DH makes and he just sort of makes things up as he goes :P and he isn't here to ask this week. He puts in Mexican spices, tomatoes, sometimes tops with sour cream, not sure what else. Sorry that isn't very helpful.

RosieTook
03-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Mmmm that sounds really good though...I will have to try some stuff!! :tu

jengi33
03-25-2005, 07:40 PM
I love to put a bunch of dried northern beans in the crockpot with some onion, carrots, celery and the ham bone and some chopped ham if there's enough, also a bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cook all day and you have the best tasting ham and bean soup!

RosieTook
03-25-2005, 09:36 PM
MMMM that sounds so good...of course I remembered that dh HATES beans (heathen!!!) so I have found a nice Ham and cheese and potato recipe to try..but I think I will make some bean soup just for me!! :D

bunbunmama
03-31-2005, 09:10 AM
I know this is kinda late, but.....my Mom always used to make ham with green beans and potatoes. Just throw the ham (and bone) into a big pot with some cubed potatoes and a bunch of green beans (the more the better, IMO!). Salt and pepper...oh, and I think some onions, diced. Cover with water (you can also use ham broth or ham bouillion if you have it) and let it all cook for a good while (until the beans potatoes are good and soft). This was the one way my Mom could get us to eat our green beans!!! HTH! :smile