PDA

View Full Version : flat of strawberies -- need recipes/ideas

lumpofclay
03-23-2005, 05:31 PM
I got a whole flat of strawberries today. I know we will eat most of them just as they are. I'd also like some ideas/recipes on what else I could do with them. I'd like for it to still be "healthy" (not full of sugar, etc.). Do they freeze well? If so, how do I do that?

My mom said you can make jam (in the microwave, of all places!), but I have no idea how to do something like that. I love strawberry jam/jelly though.

Maybe I should have gotten more than one flat. . . ;)

Ideas?

kris10s
03-23-2005, 07:01 PM
We freeze them for use later - you can freeze them sliced or whole, just lay them out in one layer on a wax paper covered cookie sheet. When they are completely frozen, toss them in a bag. :D Yum!

malakoa
03-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Strawberries are good cut up in salads, you can slice them and serve them with English Muffins.

you can also freeze them by de-steming them, cutting them up and putting a touch of sugar in as a preservative. Then put them in freezer bags and freeze away. My parents used to do this every year. :-) Then you can use them with crepes or pancakes or in pies.

ArmsOfLove
03-24-2005, 03:02 PM
some bread machines have a jams/jellies setting.

and I miss strawberries--my kids bounce off the walls with them :( eat some for me! :yum

jmh1013
03-29-2005, 06:05 PM
I mash them and mix them with some jiffy or some bisquick and you can make strawberry muffins, or waffles, or pancakes!

moosemama
03-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Mmm strawberries, one of the best things about summer!

Fruit leather! I don't have the recipes handy but there are a few in the SUper Baby Food book. I can type them for you if you want.

If you have a dehydrator, dry some out for trail mixes, granola, adding to cereal in the morning. You can do this in the oven too.

They freeze well, but get very soggy when thawed, so are good for making sauces or mixing into smoothies.

And of course, a pie, strawberry shortcake, and eating plain with brown sugar and sour cream :yum :yum :yum

expatmom
04-01-2005, 05:15 PM
We freeze them for use later - you can freeze them sliced or whole, just lay them out in one layer on a wax paper covered cookie sheet. When they are completely frozen, toss them in a bag. :D Yum!

This is what we do & they are yummy year round!

I also use them in apple crisp & as topping for angel food cake. DD loves them in her cereal & in her lunchbox.