PDA

View Full Version : Allergic to Hemp a possibility??

SPKarenO
03-23-2005, 04:42 PM
Is it possible for my DD to be allergic to hemp??

She's had a terrible diaper rash on and off for over a month now...we've even been to the doctor to rule out yeast. Dr. just gave me some triple paste, but that didn't really help either. I tried eliminating foods I thought were causing it, but that didn't seem to help either.

What did help was going to disposables...but I would much rather use the FuzziBunz I love.

However, everytime I get the rash as close to gone as it seems to get, and put her in a FuzziBunz the rash comes right back by the next diaper change.

I use JoeyBunz hemp inserts in my FuzziBunz.

I've switched detergents...which didn't make a difference, and she doesn't have any kind of rash from her clothes also washed in the same detergent.

Oh...I've also switched to tushies wipes...didn't seem to make a difference.

I've recently stripped the FuzziBunz per Fuzzi instructions, but the rash still comes back....which leads me to think the hemp might be the culprit.

Is it possible she's allergic to hemp?? :think
If so, i will buy some terry inserts...but again, don't want to spend the money, if she's not going to be able to wear them...I hate spending so much money on disposables too.

Help??

kris10s
03-23-2005, 04:44 PM
Could you run to Wal-Mart and pick up some microfiber cloths to experiment with? That might tell you more. And they are cheap! $4/5 inserts! I think It would have to be a pretty severe allergy, as the FB is next to her skin...

DogwoodMama
03-23-2005, 04:46 PM
I think it's possible... maybe not "allergic" per say but super-sensitive to it, or the chemicals hemp is treated with. I know hemp just doesn't work for all babies. Terry inserts aren't totally expensive, but if they don't work out you could always sell them... how does she do with cotton? (birds-eye or prefolds?)

SPKarenO
03-23-2005, 04:48 PM
Could you run to Wal-Mart and pick up some microfiber cloths to experiment with? That might tell you more. And they are cheap! $4/5 inserts! I think It would have to be a pretty severe allergy, as the FB is next to her skin...

yeah, that's a good idea...i'm gonna be really bummed if i have to stop CD...but I think no rash in sposies, is better than rash in CD.

SPKarenO
03-23-2005, 04:51 PM
I think it's possible... maybe not "allergic" per say but super-sensitive to it, or the chemicals hemp is treated with. I know hemp just doesn't work for all babies. Terry inserts aren't totally expensive, but if they don't work out you could always sell them... how does she do with cotton? (birds-eye or prefolds?)

She's 7 1/2 months old...and we had no rash prior to this. As a newborn we used a service, and as I collected Fuzzi Bunz used both terry and hemp inserts...I preferred the hemp, as they are less bulky and when we moved to mediums I only bought hemp. i suppose i could try the small terry soakers in the medium diapers for a couple days and see if that made a difference.

DogwoodMama
03-23-2005, 04:56 PM
It's worth a try, if you have them on hand. I just did a little research and apparently hemp is treated pretty harshly in processing, your dd might have developed a sensitivity to those chemicals over time. But I like hemp b/c it's trimmer than terry as well. I hope it's not to hard to figure this out! :)

SPKarenO
03-23-2005, 04:57 PM
okay so another thought crossed my mind...if it was hemp...then the rash should be able to heal COMPLETELY and go away while in disposables, right???

but that hasn't been the case here...

so what am I missing??

DogwoodMama
03-23-2005, 05:14 PM
So she was wearing sposies for a while and the rash pretty much cleared up... how long was she wearing the sposies?

If my theory is correct and she is sensitive to harsh chemicals, maybe she's also sensitive to the chemicals in the sposies, but the hemp is just worse for her? Maybe she needs organic diapers or materials treated with as few chemicals as possible? :think

SPKarenO
03-23-2005, 05:19 PM
So she was wearing sposies for a while and the rash pretty much cleared up... how long was she wearing the sposies?

If my theory is correct and she is sensitive to harsh chemicals, maybe she's also sensitive to the chemicals in the sposies, but the hemp is just worse for her? Maybe she needs organic diapers or materials treated with as few chemicals as possible? :think

if i leave her in sposies for about a week...the rash all but almost disappears...but since it started almost two months ago...it hasn't ever completely cleared up.

doesn't whole foods cell a disposable without chemicals...maybe that's the route to go next. (but good grief...I decided to CD orginally cause its less expensive...I KNOW those whole foods disposables are expensive!)

DogwoodMama
03-23-2005, 05:21 PM
Hmmmm... why don't you try the terry for a few days, or long enough to see, and then if that doesn't work try the chemical-free diapers?

SPKarenO
03-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Hmmmm... why don't you try the terry for a few days, or long enough to see, and then if that doesn't work try the chemical-free diapers?

yeah...i think thats where i'll start...
anybody else have any other suggestions/thoughts/comments?

doubleblessings
03-23-2005, 06:20 PM
Just another thought...you might want to strip the FuzziBunz to make sure there isn't a build up that is bothering her on them.

Lady TS
03-25-2005, 03:09 PM
I was going to say strip your hemp. I've found that the hemp I have (Joey Bunz, Hemparoos, and Polar Babies hemp/fleece liners) will get buildup of either detergent or pee/poo or something and begin to irritate ds. If I strip the hemp, they don't smell and they don't bother ds...

But I have noticed that my hemp does bother ds diaper-rash-wise if I don't strip ever so often.

BeckaBlue
03-25-2005, 03:19 PM
I'd switch to JUST water for wiping too.

my dd1 developed a diaper rash from a wip allergy and even switching wipes back didnt work till i went w/ jsut water for awhile

wuzzie
04-04-2005, 09:50 AM
My son is very sensitive to heat. I say he is allergic to synthetic fabrics, but in reality he is sensitive to anything that doesn't "breathe" Goint to sposies helped a "little" as his skin could breathe a bit more, but the thing that has cleared us up 100% is going to all wool covers and using almost no microfleece. We used PUL covers, fuzzi buns and fleece liners for months before he started getting rashy too. It kinda built up over time.

Lyn
04-06-2005, 09:24 AM
What does the rash look like? Where is it located?

My dd was sensitive to hemp. Her entire area was a light shade of red when she wore them and cleared up within a day of non hemp diapers.

My ds had a chronic red rash in the fold of his upper thigh for a long time. I tried FBs, wraps, 7th Gen. disposables and then Pampers. It took a few weeks in full time disposables (a mix of the 7th Gen and Pampers) but the rash has disappeared. We use cloth wipes with homemade solution of a few drops of Healthy Times baby bath and a few drops of tea tree oil. I was a die hard cloth diaperer, but I'm feeling good about the switch now because I know his skin isn't hurting him.

It can be frustrating trying to figure these things out. Hang in there! :hug