PDA

View Full Version : Argh - I made a dress for DD and it's too short..what to do? :(

MySeoulChild
03-23-2005, 03:17 PM
It's for Easter - so it has to be quick - but I made a basic "add a tee shirt to a yard of gathered fabric" dress and even made sure it looked WAY too long and it hits above the knee. It's an empire-waist, if that helps, but I still think it looks too short (and when she spins - which she cannot resist doing - you can see her undies).

What would you do?

Teribear
03-23-2005, 04:10 PM
Add a WIDE (6 to 8 inch) gathered ruffle to the bottom. It'd be cute.

Blessings,
Terri

expatmom
03-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Yeah, what Teribear said, or add a ruffle of lace or decorative fabric. Or maybe get a pair of bloomers/bicycle pants for underneath?

Mother of Sons
03-23-2005, 05:46 PM
nt

bunbunmama
03-24-2005, 08:10 AM
I like the ruffle idea...but if that seems like to much work to "ruffle" it, you could actually probably just sew a coordinating strip of fabric on the bottom of the skirt without gathering it to make the ruffled effect.....If I did that, though, I would probably also sew a strip of lace on the bottom, depending on the fabrics involved. Good luck!!!!!

MySeoulChild
03-24-2005, 02:05 PM
thanks for all the great ideas!

Would you sew it so that the ruffle's edge was showing, or hidden beneath the hem of the skirt?

sarahandmadelinesm
03-25-2005, 11:01 AM
This is probably too late, but you could also add a small ruffle to the bottom of a pair of pants to match/wear underneath. :tu

Garnet
03-26-2005, 05:00 PM
edge showing. if you are going to make your own ruffle. If not, go by whatever looks best.