PDA

View Full Version : nighttime cloth

moosemama
03-23-2005, 02:28 PM
We've stopped using cloth of ds at night because he wet so much and we had so many doublers in there that the diaper was ridiculously bulky and he still soaked it clear through by morning. It's bothering me to use sposies, even just one each day like we are. But at the same time, I love how trim and easy they are as a nighttime solution.

I need something verrrrrrrry absorbent, since ds nurses all night long. I know a lot of people use FuzziBunz at night. That's what we use primarily during the day. I can't see being able to put enough stuffers in to make it a viable nighttime option for us, as they're already stuffed to the gills during the day. What other nighttime options are there?

kris10s
03-23-2005, 02:43 PM
What inserts do you use? You could use a lot of very good inserts for night...

Or you could try a prefold with a hemp doubler with a wool cover.

BeckaBlue
03-23-2005, 02:54 PM
I use Luke's Drawers nighttime dipe w/ the insert and a wool cover. havent had a leak since i started that!

GodisGood
03-23-2005, 02:57 PM
We've stopped using cloth of ds at night because he wet so much and we had so many doublers in there that the diaper was ridiculously bulky and he still soaked it clear through by morning. It's bothering me to use sposies, even just one each day like we are. But at the same time, I love how trim and easy they are as a nighttime solution.

I need something verrrrrrrry absorbent, since ds nurses all night long. I know a lot of people use FuzziBunz at night. That's what we use primarily during the day. I can't see being able to put enough stuffers in to make it a viable nighttime option for us, as they're already stuffed to the gills during the day. What other nighttime options are there?

Could you possibly have build up on your diapers?

Iarwain
03-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Have you tried microfiber towels as stuffers? I've never used them (or Fuzzibunz) but I have heard others say they provide a lot of absorbancy without as much bulk. I have heard that it's not good to put them right next to the skin, but inside a Fuzzibunz or with a liner or something on top is OK.

My personal favorite for nighttime is a pretty heavy wool cover (made from a felted-up sweater). I use prefolds inside. I can get by with fewer layers if I use the wool cover because a) it has a little absorbancy itself in addition to the prefolds I put in it and b) because it breathes some of the wetness from the beginning of the night actually seems to evaporate and dry as the night goes on so it doesn't need quite as much thickness. In addition the wool does not leak. Always a plus. :)

RosieTook
03-23-2005, 03:42 PM
I use FuzziBunz, and with an infant prefold (which is our daytime stuffer) and a few regular cotton liners dd is fine...it is rather bulky, but she isn't moving much, so it's okay.

I want to buy some wool and try it out...I've heard alot of people have had success with wool at night..and during the day for that matter! :lol

inesperada
03-23-2005, 03:47 PM
I don't have any experience, but from researching and communicating with other moms I've heard a lot of great things about wool-in-one diapers for night time. Like this one (http://www.theclothdiapercompany.com/store/WsDefault.asp?One=491).

moosemama
03-23-2005, 04:34 PM
What inserts do you use? You could use a lot of very good inserts for night...

Or you could try a prefold with a hemp doubler with a wool cover.

Hmm... perhaps our doublers are the problem. That thought hadn't occurred to me. I use inserts I made myself, some of which are made of sherpa (I forget how many layers - maybe 6?) and some of which are made of birdseye (again, unsure how many layers.

I've heard a lot of good things about hemp lately. I might have to try that.

DogwoodMama
03-23-2005, 04:38 PM
I definitely recommend trying hemp for night-time... we use either 3 hemp stuffers (a wonder-full insert and a joey-bunz) or 2 MOE inserts in our pocket diapers, and I prefer the hemp b/c it's trimmer and more absorbant IMO. However, the advantage of wool is that even if the stuffers are overwhelmed, the cover can absorb some so the worst thing that would happen is a sense of dampness rather than an all-out gushing leak. A wool-hemp combo would be great. But we do fine with just hemp stuffers in a pocket and my dd nurses a lot at night.

doubleblessings
03-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Mine nurse ALL night too and fill thier diaper, but we don't have any leaks. We use a FuzziBunz with 1 JoeyBunz (or a homemade 6 layer jersey hemp stuffer like the Joey Bunz), 1 Walmart microfiber towel (from the automotive department), and 1 better quality microfiber towel from www.nopins4baby.com. When I get some more hemp stuffers made I will try 2 of those with a smaller microfiber towel for a more trim fit. The microfiber is suppose to be good at quick absorbtion and the hemp at heavy absorbtion.

moosemama
03-23-2005, 08:22 PM
Wow these are great suggestions. I can see I have some shopping to do! :lol

With wool covers, I've used them before during the day but I still feel leery of using them at night. I guess all I can do is try and the worst that happens is we get peed on in bed right? ;)

ozmummy
03-25-2005, 09:56 PM
I have a super wee girl who nurses all night too, and I have tried every possible combination under the sun to gget a leak-free night time nappy solution. I found that fuzzibuns didn't allow me to stuff as much as I needed, and still get a good seal around the leg. I used wool covers for about 12 months with an infant pad-folded prefold, and a premium prefold over the top (with microfleece rectangle liner. Wool has amazing properties, and allows for some evaporation, and it's quite unbelievable that it doesn't leak.
Now I have got the Honeyboys pocket pattern, and found that it it allows for *heaps* of stuffing, while still getting a good seal. SO I have made a stash of pockets with 1 layer MM windpro fleecce outer, and 1 layer MM microfleece inner. I use a couple of hemp prefolds, or a prefold and a hemp insert,, this lasts all night without a leak in 3 months.
hth
Keiren

moosemama
03-28-2005, 07:47 PM

Could you possibly have build up on your diapers?

I just saw this post...

Do you mean the FuzziBunz? We very well could. I bought them used off of Ebay and have always had problems with them leaking. When I got them they smelled heavily of detergent or fabric softener :rolleyes (That was a question I never thought to ask the seller -- I know better now!!) I stripped them and applied waterproofing to the edges and they were better but not great. So yeah, that could be a big part of the problem with those.

I doubt that is the problem with the prefolds, as they would be completely drenched in the morning. Plus, leaking wasn't a problem with them. If they had a buildup, pee would tend to not absorb and we'd have leaks, right? That being said, Perhaps I ought to strip them all just to be sure.

Good idea :clap