PDA

View Full Version : Math-U-See

findingjoy
03-23-2005, 02:03 PM
I was wondering if any of you have used Math-U-See and what your experience was with it. My ds is 5 years old. So far I have been something between a relaxed homeschooler and unschooler, but Math-U-See just looks so neat! It seemed to make so much sense with how it teaches place values and I thought my ds would enjoy the manipulatives. I didn't want to spend the money though if it isn't something that would be useful and enjoyable to us. So far the only semi-structered material we've used is FIAR which has worked well because ds loves to be read to. He gets bored easily so it helped me with some ideas we could work from. I'm just not too creative these days. And with FIAR we can pick it up or take a break anytime. I was just wanting to test the waters to see if ds would be interested in math. Thanks for any thoughts you all have! :)

Piper2
03-23-2005, 02:18 PM
I typed up a response and then left the page before I posted! :doh

We've been using MUS for about 2 years and like it pretty well. I'm wondering, though, if Kevin might be getting bored with it, but I want to finish up the book we're in (Alpha) before deciding to change curriculums. I definitely can't just "wing it" when it comes to math -- I'll have to use some kind of curriculum because I'm horrible at math! ;)

Sometimes you can find used manipulatives and even workbooks on ebay and used homeschool curriculum sites.

Mamaka
03-23-2005, 02:49 PM
My dh has used MUS in his classrooms in the past and has had positive experience with it. He had some seriously delayed students and it was great for them. And his visual learners thrived on it too.

Heather
03-23-2005, 04:28 PM
My daughter is a VERY visual learner. I bought the primer for her last summer to "catch her up" and refresh her memory before school started (she is currently in public school) She loved it and finished the whole primer book in 2 weeks. :)

Barring all potential roadblocks, we will homeschool next year... and I will definately use it again!

prayerbear
03-24-2005, 10:20 AM
check out the yahoo group as well it is so helpful.

findingjoy
03-24-2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts and experiences with MUS!