PDA

View Full Version : Abinsmom SENSITIVE POST

ShangriLewis
03-23-2005, 12:54 PM
THIS POST IS SENSITIVE and that's why I made a seperate post for it.

I could easily give up poultry meat, but haven't. I feel that eating eggs and dairy and honey is okay. I guess because the eggs that are sold aren't fertilized, and milk doesn't kill a cow, and honey doesn't kill a bee. Please tell me if I'm wrong about this. But maybe there are abuses of animals that provide food to humans but don't kill the animals in the process. I need to know more about that.

Well, milk does kill a cow. Milk cows are artificially inseminated to keep getting pregnant. The male calves are sometimes sold for veal calves and other times are put in a kill pile. Breastfeeding is what it took for me to change my attitude about milk. More moms can't breastfeed their own babies, but they can nurse us.

Male chicks are often ground alive for for animal feed or pet food.

Food Revolution and the movie Diet for a New America are both eye opening in regards to the treatment of farm animals.

I still use honey to wash my face because it's the only way I've been able to have clear skin.

Heather

findingjoy
03-23-2005, 01:50 PM
A book I read a number of years ago that was very eye-opening regarding the treatment of animals is Animal Liberation. It includes pictures. I am not extremely plotical regarding this issue, but I am tender hearted towards animals and it's important to realize how they are treated (at least on factory farms). Just thought I'd recommend the book for anyone wanting more info.

Katherine
03-23-2005, 02:32 PM
I saw a blurb on a kid's show about where milk comes from. It really made me sad/sick, and it was short, succint, and had a positive tone to it! :(

I think b-feeding altered my perspective, too, cause when I saw them popping those electric pumps onto the cows and they mentioned how many hours per day they are hooked up, I felt SO SORRY for the cows. I hate pumping, and I can't imagine having to "pump" all day long and not even be providing milk for my own offspring. :cry

TBH, we are not political about it at all.. and really just beginning down the veg. road mostly for health reasons. Just thought I'd throw in my 2cents.

bunbunmama
03-23-2005, 03:35 PM
I think the key is knowing where your dairy/eggs/honey is coming from. For example, we get our eggs from my BIL and SIL...they treat the chickens like pets, letting them run around their yard....I don't have a problem eating their eggs because I know the chickens are treated well, and I'm not contributing to any killing. Haven't really found a good source for dairy, but we try to buy organic, because I think those cows are at least treated a little better....maybe I'm wrong, though. Oh, well, we try our best.

bliss
03-24-2005, 08:23 PM
I agree with bunbun - it is my honest belief that cows and chickens and bees give us milk and eggs and honey as part of God's plan. . .but modern factory farms were never part of that plan. I would love to have my own animals, but until we have room, I will try to make sure that the animals that share with me are well taken care of.

Sanveann
03-25-2005, 06:19 PM
I agree with bunbun - it is my honest belief that cows and chickens and bees give us milk and eggs and honey as part of God's plan. . .but modern factory farms were never part of that plan. I would love to have my own animals, but until we have room, I will try to make sure that the animals that share with me are well taken care of.

I agree completely! God made us stewards of his creation, not overlords. http://www.eatwild.com/ is a database of small local farms that do not practice factory farming. There are about three near us that I've been wanting to check out!

ShangriLewis
03-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Yes, but all of those things do kill an animal. That is why I posted that. And, no eating animals was not part of God's original plan.

Heather

Sanveann
03-27-2005, 07:45 AM
Yes, but all of those things do kill an animal. That is why I posted that. And, no eating animals was not part of God's original plan.

Heather

Milk and eggs and honey do?

ShangriLewis
03-27-2005, 08:32 AM
Yes, because if you use those products an animal will die. No one can afford to raise a cow just for milk. It has to produce offspring and those offspring have to be used to produce or killed. Same with chickens. And, I don't object to honey.

Heather

Sanveann
03-27-2005, 09:48 AM
That's a good point about milk .... but what about eggs? I would think that if you didn't keep a rooster around, there would be no unferitlized eggs to worry about.

ShangriLewis
03-27-2005, 08:05 PM
It's not too bad if you have your own chickens. But, you may have to deal with roosters or butcher them. However if you purchase eggs then roosters are most often ground alive for feed. We have been considering have a few chickens of our own. My mom has hers for 10 years now (well not the same chickens) and the eggs are good.

I'm not passing judgement or anything. We do occasionaly eat dairy and eggs still. I just can't deny the link between the dairy/egg industry and the meat/chicken industry. They are still being exploited and contrary to the Happy California cow coalition they aren't being treated kindly. We are so used to it in our society that it's strange to really sit back and look at the animal industry and see what is really going on. Since, most of us were children we are taught that we need all this protein. I've even talked to Christians who believe God not only said we could eat it..that He meant we are suppose to eat it and if we don't we will get sick. Societies (is there a spell check because that looks awful to me) are very defensive about their food culture.

Heather

peacefulveganmom
04-09-2005, 11:20 PM
www.christianveg.com is a wonderful website to check out if you're interested in reading more about the Christian aspect of vegetarianism/veganism. Lots of good info!! :tu Click on the WWJE link......some very interesting reading there. ;)