PDA

View Full Version : Need breakfast ideas!

Miss Priss
03-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Our pediatrician suggested that we treat Liberty like a diabetic, because ADHD kids are so sugar sensitive. NO simple carb meals anymore- adequate protein at every meal, and small amounts with snacks throughout the day. But for breakfast, eggs are getting really old. And, I'm worried about our cholesterol eating eggs every morning.
Anyone have any high protein, dairy free breakfast suggestions?

LadyBird
03-23-2005, 09:47 PM
I am of the opinion that you can eat any kind of food in the mornings. Who wrote the rule that you have to eat only cereals, eggs, toast etc. You might try making up a batch of Potato,Egg and Cheese burritoes...let me know if you need the recipe. Also you could make bean and cheese burritos with fat free refried beans and colby/jack cheese..it melts really nicely. You could also make a batch of chicken salad with apples, and hard boiled eggs in it and eat that with some crackers. As far as eggs go, you could make a fritatta and leave out some of the yolks to cut down on the cholesterol, or just get some of that cholesterol free egg product and make yummy omelettes. Oatmeal is a yummy alternative too! You can do all kinds of things to make that good, add cinnamon, butter,honey, brown sugar, raisins, chocolate chips, canned fruit etc etc. If you need dairy free you could substitue some of that lactose free milk, or maybe they make special cheeses you could use. Another thing I love is the fresh multi-grain rolls from Wal-Mart's bakery. They are just like the ones I used to get at the bakery in Germany! I halve them and put "Move over butter" on each half, and then a slice of turkey meat, and then a slice of Gouda. YUM! I will eat that with slices of tomato with salt and pepper and a hot cup of coffee. Gosh, now I am really hungry!!!!!!

LadyBird
03-23-2005, 09:51 PM
oh and I just wanted to add, it is helpful to use GI (Glycemic Index) menus to choose what are good carbs and bad carbs...here is a great food list to know what is what:

http://www.lowglycemicdiet.com/gifoodlist.html

hope this helps!

jujubnme
03-24-2005, 08:00 AM
My standard breakfast (for myself) is peanut butter on whole-grain toast. Not too exciting, but it does fit the bill :). You might try googling "low carb breakfast" and see what you come up with.

Miss Priss
03-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Great ideas, Ladies. Thanks!
:hearts