PDA

View Full Version : Avocados...Anyone know how to grow?

Kasi
03-23-2005, 09:17 AM
My ds#1 loves avocados, so I bought a bunch on sale this past week. Now he's saving the pits and wants to try to grow one. I told him it probably wouldn't grow well here, as we now live in colder climate, but he's determined to try.

Does anyone know how to start avocados? I know you don't just plug into soil, but I don't remember what to do.

Thanks!

RosieTook
03-23-2005, 09:46 AM
Ohhh, that wold be cool, but they probably wouldn't gerow here either. I spend about $3-5 an week on avocados..dh would love it if I could grow some. :D

:lurking:

godsgracegiven
03-24-2005, 02:23 AM
dh and I wondering the same thing...We spend a lot on them too, and were thinking it would cool if we could grow them here.

TheSweetLife
03-24-2005, 09:17 AM
Ok, to start avocados you are supposed to suspend the pit in a glass of water with toothpicks. have the bottom half submerged in the water and refill water as needed. Kids here (in California) do this all the time for school experiments. I'm not sure that anything you grow from a store-bought fruit/veggie would actually produce avocados though. I have heard that fruit/veggies are engineered as such now that the seeds are usually sterile (they will grow a tree, but no fruit) this may not be true of avocados though, I'm not sure.

Kasi
03-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the info. I doubt I could keep any plant alive long enough to see *if* it would produce fruit...black thumbs here! LOL But it will be fun for ds#1 to experiment with.

Mama Calidad
03-24-2005, 01:38 PM
You might have trouble growing them. I'm no expert, but the master gardener lady on the radio was real discouraging about growing avocados here...and we're 92 degrees today. She mentioned some varieties that would probably do okay, so maybe calling a nursery person in your area would be the place to start. :idea

Close2MyHeart
03-25-2005, 10:19 AM
I got all excited when I read the subject then realized that there is no way they'd grow here! :sad I love avacados!!

Wikolia
04-04-2005, 01:01 PM
yes, I have to repeat the sentiments here about growing climate, they might grow, but not fruit if not hot enough. If you do try, I'd recommend getting a tree. (although the seed experiement sounds like fun)
Vicki

Irene
04-04-2005, 01:25 PM
mmmm I love avacadoes too... but they are over 4 dollars a peice here- yikes! :/