PDA

View Full Version : The new plan...

MarynMunchkins
03-23-2005, 07:55 AM
Since my kids have been driving me up a wall, dh and I had a long talk about something to help. I want suggestions on the plan. :D

Basically, we've all been stressed out due to lack of money, horrible weather, and trying to pack. The kids run around making WAY too much noise for an apartment and refuse to clean up anything. "Go pick up your dress up clothes" involves 20 minutes of lying on the floor crying "I need help". :rolleyes I don't mind helping, but it's becoming an excuse to get out of doing anything.

So, dh and I decided to implement a chore chart and an allowance. We'd like it to encourage doing stuff around here because they need to do it, and teach about money at the same time. Doug is 5 and Ana is 4. I figured we'd pay them 1/2 their age every week - so $2.50/wk for Doug and $2.00/wk for Ana. (Less than $20 for the month...;) ) The chart will have 1) make beds 2) pick up dirty clothes 3) brush teeth (dental issues...) for both of them and than Ana will have 4) set the table and Doug will have 4) unload the dishwasher and 5) gather the garbage into one bag.

We'll do separate jars for tithe, savings, and spending money. I have baby food jars to decorate. :D

If they do all this stuff happily, than it's not a big deal. Give them the money and go. :) But if they don't do it, should I not give them the allowance? :/ Should I pay them anyway and make them pay me for my time to clean up for them? Anybody do an allowance that can help me out?

This Busy Mom
03-23-2005, 09:41 AM
I think the saving money, spending and tithing jars are too much right now. You have a long time to teach them to be responsible with the money. Right now I'd just teach them that money gets them things they'd like (and you need to be firm in what they can or can't get... spell out the rules... no hidden ones unless it's something you didn't consider and it needs to be discussed).

Getting them to be more responsibe with chores is good, too. My son likes it when he accomplishes them and he can be proud of himself for doing the jobs.

Mine's pretty literal... a chart doesn't do a whole lot of good. Having the money to actually work with is more concrete. We did dimes in a jar for a while, then they got to split it up evenly and spend it... it was a group effort.