PDA

View Full Version : How much

akmyilee
03-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Ok, so how much will it cost for a fairly unexperienced person to get started with CDing? I don't remember my son going though diapers the way that my daughter is but in a month or 2 I have probley spent what it would cost to get a good supply of Cloth. I know there are a million different kinds but what am I looking at to get started? 100$ ......500$? TIA

kris10s
03-22-2005, 08:42 PM
I spend about $160 to get started and got:
2 dozen prefolds
5 Bummis SWW covers
2 Bum-Ware AIOs (for outings, etc.)
4 Wonderoos pocket diapers for night/outings
some fleece from the fabric store for liners
microfiber towels from Wal-Mart to use as inserts in the Wonderoos (Prefolds work too)

That stash works well for me, I wash every 2-3 days and have plenty of diapers.

HTH!

2sunshines
03-23-2005, 07:42 AM
Like you said, the start up cost is going to vary depending on what kind of diapers you want to use.

If money is the biggest issue, then prefolds are definitely the least expensive way to go. I would probably do what Kristen did with mostly prefolds and a few pocket or aio's (depending on your preference) for outings or whatever...

I think that you CAN start up for pretty inexpensively, You also CAN start up very expensively... :mrgreen

I started slowly. At first, I bought only a few diapers (I think 4 or 5 -- two of a few different kinds...). I could not cloth diaper full time at the very beginning but I was able to try a few different diapers and see what I really liked. Then I added to my stash depending on what I liked. So I'm not sure what my "start up stash" cost because I did it slowly. KWIM?

akmyilee
03-23-2005, 07:49 AM
Maybe you are on to something there, I could gradually move to cloth instead of just buying a whole bunch at once, I hadn't even thought of that, :/ It would also help the other people around dd (dh and mil) to deal with the switch over. They think I am nuts, but what is new? :D Where should I start looking? If I do it a little at a time I could probley get something really nice.......but I guess until I decied I relaly want to go cloth all the way I should start inexpensive. I am also fairly capable on the sewing machine, I know people make there own soak pads or something? Thanks again :)

Larissa
03-26-2005, 08:26 AM
I spent about $300 to start with. I bought 12 fuzzibunz...that I got on sale for 8.99 each(they are the froggy prints), I bought 10 microterry inserts, 20 Sammy's One Size cotton sherpa fitteds...(and I absolutely love these!!!) They are regularly about $10 each...but I bought in bulk and got 25% off during their winter sale...so I got 20 of them for $135. I really like them. They are easy...they are super absorbant...and very durable.

I plan on making my own newborn set for my next baby. I have already started collecting fabric....even though I won't be having another baby anytime soon. I am also going to make my own "fuzzibunz like" diapers. I have already got the material for that...I just have to start sewing.

It's definitely cheaper to make your own diapers....if you can sew. But if you want to start up quickly...I would suggest surfing the web to find a system that you think you can live with. I spent almost a year trying to decide what I wanted to do!

Micah
04-11-2005, 10:33 AM
I started out with CPF, snappi's and Bummis Whisper wraps, Bumkins Wraps and Pro raps.

Hated all the wraps! So went to Rikki Wraps and the system worked great! And wasn't very expensive at all, I got 2 doz CPF, 4 Rikkis and 2 snappi's.

I have since though switched over totally to Motherease, yes more costly.
You could make your own motherease dipes out of cotton terry once you had one to make a pattern with....

LauraK
04-11-2005, 01:39 PM
I got some good advice with my post:
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=2862.0