PDA

View Full Version : SpankOut Day USA

Oliveshoots
03-22-2005, 01:08 PM
Mama Calidad (Laura) shared a website in one of her replies I saw yesterday (now I can't even remember the thread...maybe it was someone's child being spanked at MOPS? yeah, that was it.) Anyway, she shared www.stophitting.org and on there is a link to SpankOut Day USA. It is April 30. There is a section for ideas for religious folk (it covers a few different religions) but there is some great info on how to observe this day and share it with your church.

Some ideas we are playing around with (while it is a bit touchy to promote the "no spanking" issue, I'm just not sure I am courageous enough to go there yet with my church), we are going to do more of a positive parenting emphasis to lead into our "month of the family", which is May. So we are thinking about doing little gift bags for parents of kids birth through grade 5, including the booklet "The nonviolent Christian Parent" which is co-written by Dr. Teresa Whitehurst. Also include a magnet that is from the stophitting webiste which lists 10 brief ways to discipline positively, and maybe some other little treats or something. We are also going to line the children's/nursery wing with cute quotes about family/parenting/children/babies and lots of scriptures. There will be a table with brochures, book recommendations, and MAYBE a brochure about SpankOut Day (if I get the nerve up), and a place where parents/caregivers can sign up to do Dr. Sears' ParentProject, or a book club on Grace-Based Parenting, Biblical Parenting, or How Would Jesus Raise A Child? I'm also going to put up a large poster of Ezzo/Dobson/Pearl and Ferber for the kids to throw pies at. JUST KIDDING. That is disrespectful, but the thought did pop into my head for one sinful moment.

ANYWAY....
Just thought I'd share. If anyone has any other ideas on how I can implement this in a non-confrontational way, please share. I have very good reasons for not jumping in gung-ho with non-spanking Biblical truths, but I won't go into that here. PM me if you're really concerned about why I'm going about it this way.

Oh yeah, and we're thinking of having a luncheon sometime a few weeks before just for parents/grandparents/foster parents/adoptive parents/caregivers/child-care workers to come and hear a speaker who would do a mini-workshop on positive discipline techniques (hopefully someone who is also a believer, and will be very tactful and give hands-on practical tips.) Also a question/answer time about how to handle certain stages and challenges.

Please, if you feel led, be in prayer for me and the other staff member who is helping me with this. And if you know of a good GBD/non-punitive Christian speaker in western North Carolina, pm me their name and contact info! We are looking for someone who could do the luncheon/workshop well.

Thanks!
Kristen

sadie
03-22-2005, 02:16 PM
I am praying for you! :pray

I think it's wonderful that you are doing this...i also think approaching it from a "family month" perspective will get people more interested and openminded rather than just jumping in with the "spanking is not biblical" stuff, which might turn them off from listening to you at all. :(

Good luck! :)

ArmsOfLove
03-22-2005, 02:22 PM
that's awesoome, Kristen!

Through our ministry we received a mini-grant from the Center For Effective Discipline to do an event this year. We are partnering with the Family Advocacy Group at Luke Air Force Base. They already are part of a base-wide event in April, which is Familiy Abuse Awareness Month, where they have a table set up with information. We're putting a table next to them and giving out flyers and information and balloons and having a raffle. I love the pie idea ;) j/k I do plan on raffling off a few different GBD/PD books and some fun stuff we hope to get donated. I'm also going to be available to answer parenting questions people have.