PDA

View Full Version : cat smell

malakoa
03-22-2005, 12:24 PM
how can we get it out of our carpet, short of ripping up the carpet?

thanks

Mama Bird
03-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Do you have access to a HFS? We have tried two things...and only one worked. We tried that enzyme spray you get at Walmart in the pet section. It didn't do squat. My sister (a vet tech) says that Petsmart carries a brand that'll kill cat odors...some sort of enzyme stuff as well. I used Bac-Out, and it did the trick. Plus, I didn't worry about my kids and our cat getting on it. Our first cat (a male) peed on our futon repeatedly. Every time I'd clean it up he'd pee on it again. We finally treated it with Bac-Out (just sprayed it on and let it dry overnight.) and put a plastic matress cover (a zipper one) under the futon cover. It worked.

Hope that helps!

Kasi
03-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Is it fresh or old??

If it is fresh, you can try vinegar in the area, and it should neutralize the odor. If it is old, I'd suggest the pet odor/enzyme products from the pet store.

believer
03-23-2005, 09:39 AM
You can try the enzyme stuff, but if you still have the cat, he/she may just keep going back to the same place anyway. :( If you do have to replace the carpet, you need to replace the pad also and treat the floor underneath with the enzyme stuff. Been there, done that.

malakoa
03-23-2005, 09:43 AM
hi - it's a cat we fostered for a while that had to go live with my parents because he was in love with the baby and liked to sleep on her face. our other cat doesn't do that.