PDA

View Full Version : best diaper covers for a newborn (and inexperienced mama!)?

~yogamom~
03-22-2005, 10:15 AM
I can't believe it, but it's getting time to register with a diaper service! (I'm 33 weeks).

I'll be using their inserts, and the service suggests the following covers:
ProRaps
Bumkins
Fuzzi-Bunz
LiteWrap
CottonWrap
Super WhisperWrap by Bummis
Pull-On Pants by Basic Connections
Alexis Nylon Pull-On Pants
So Simple! Cover by Stacinator
Stretch Merino Wool Cover by Stacinator

HELP, ladies! What do you suggest for a newborn and a newbie momma who needs something simple and effective?

Thanks!

wuzzie
03-22-2005, 10:50 AM
My favorite is the Stacinator wool strech cover, but for a newbie it's not the best. Second fav is the Bummis. You really can't go wrong with it. It really is so incredably easy to use and very trim under clothes. Fuzzi bunz are the best for night time, but are not covers they are pocket diapers and you would need something more than a prefold to stuff it eith. I would suggest looking into getting a few of those plus inserts for nights or even outings. Honestly, washing dipes is no big deal and is tons cheaper than a service.

kris10s
03-22-2005, 10:52 AM
I vote for the Bummis and FB or Wonderoos for night.

doubleblessings
03-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Are you going to pin or snappi or just fold the prefold in a cover? You can just fold in thirds and lay in the cover (with some covers), but if you do this you will need several covers because they will get poopy. With a good fitted diaper I can get buy with 3 or 4 covers (let them air dry and reuse a few times before washing).
ProRaps -not my favorite, but ok and you don't have to pin
Bumkins -??
Fuzzi-Bunz - this is a pocket diaper I really like them (I stuff with hemp (like JoeyBunz) and/or microfiber towels) great for night time - I didn't use them with newborns so I am not sure how well they work then
LiteWrap ??
CottonWrap ??
Super WhisperWrap by Bummis - I really like these no pins needed they contain poop very well
Pull-On Pants by Basic Connections ???
Alexis Nylon Pull-On Pants -good pull on, very light weight- need to pin or snappy or use fitted
So Simple! Cover by Stacinator ???
Stretch Merino Wool Cover by Stacinator - I have one of these and really like it-soft and trim (needs to be hand washed, but if it doesn't get poopy you can go several days without washing). They seem to run a little big to me. I would pin or snappy or use a fitted. A little pricey.

DogwoodMama
03-22-2005, 01:30 PM
I think you'd be happy with the Bummis. :)

bunbunmama
03-22-2005, 02:38 PM
I definitely agree with the vote for Bummis...very nice and easy. If cost is a concern, though, you might want to opt for Prorap. That's what I got first for Dd...they work pretty well for her and were quite a bit cheaper than most other covers. One thing I don't like that much about them, though, is that there is a plasticky laminate (waterproofing) that touches her skin wherever the diaper isn't covering (basically on the sides, since I use the trifold method). The Bummis I have are much nicer against her skin.

One other thing to consider when choosing your covers - do you want a pull-up or velcro-style? I prefer the velcro-style - it makes the process similar to using a disposable diaper in terms of the mechanics of putting it on and taking it off. Though I haven't used them, so I can't speak from experience, I imagine the pull-up style would be messier and more of a hassle, with having to pin or snappi.

Lady TS
03-23-2005, 08:24 AM
Here's my take on your options. :)

ProRaps-these are the best value for your money. They do have a "plasticky" inner, but it never bothered my ds'. They do tend to stain inside, but the stains ALWAYS came out when I hung them out on the line.

Bumkins-?? I'm getting one of these to try so if this thread is still live then I'll let you know what I think

Fuzzi-Bunz-?? I'm getting one to try with my 2yo ds, but I'm thinking runny bf baby poops wouldn't be contained well in Fuzzi-Bunz...I think you could easily stuff these with a tri-folded CPF, though.

LiteWrap=I much prefer the Proraps or Bummis to these. I find LiteWraps wick thru pretty easily/quickly when the dipe is soaked. Also, they run large, which can be a plus in that you don't have to bother as much about making sure every little piece of diaper is covered. ;)

CottonWrap-?? I'm getting one of these, will let you know.

Super WhisperWrap by Bummis-I put these under ProRaps, although I like the fit a lot better. The reasons I put them under ProRaps is that they cost more and I find they wick earlier than the ProRaps do. I need to send mine thru the dryer or something to tighten them up so they don't wick as readily.

Pull-On Pants by Basic Connections-never tried it

Alexis Nylon Pull-On Pants I didn't like these, although they are a step above the Gerber pull-on type pants because they are nylon and can breathe. My ds is a heavy wetter and the one I tried always seemed to wick through and make his clothes damp. :/ Plus, it was harder to pull up and down. I like the velcro/snap covers a lot better. When they start standing, it's a lot easier to put a pull-on cover on, IME.

So Simple! Cover by Stacinator-??
Stretch Merino Wool Cover by Stacinator-??

Hope that helps!

ServantofGod
03-23-2005, 12:09 PM
Bummis - my favorite! I bought Fuzzi Bunz when M was a newborn, and I like those a lot, but they are expensive for the amount of wear one gets. They are also not as fool-proof in the wash.

iplsmama
03-23-2005, 02:23 PM
I'm a Bumkins fan myself. They seem to "fit" my newborns better than any other. They have the whole polyester, plasticky feel though so if you don't like that... They also last a long time. I have some Bumkins covers from my first over 5 yrs ago and 3 babies later. They also come in the most fun prints that everyone notices.

iplsmama
03-23-2005, 02:27 PM
Oh I forgot to say, while my Litewraps for my NB are still okay, my next size up totally wore out. I think he grew out of the NB size quickly so they weren't washed as much but the Litewraps really didn't last for us.

~yogamom~
03-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Thanks for everyone's helpful responses! I've learned a lot! :tu

I guess it sounds like Bummis are the way to go.

I still have two questions I'd love your input on:

1. Do you think I should order the Super WhisperWrap by Bummis or would the regular cooton Bummis covers work just as well? What are your favorite Bummis covers for newborns?

2. How many covers do I need to start out with?

3. What does "wick" mean? I see that word used all the time, but I have no idea what it means. :blush Does that mean pee comes through or that it gets pilly after washing or something else entirely?

Thanks!!!

ServantofGod
03-24-2005, 05:23 AM
"wick" = pee comes through if you're not a fanatic of changing quickly.

I can't stand covers that wick!

I like the Bummis SWW prints, but sometimes I concede that it's silly to pay more just to have cute covers! :think

5 for a newborn should be enough. If they are wet only, you can air-dry them a few times between washings.

2sunshines
03-24-2005, 06:39 AM
I agree, I prefer the bummis sww.

Plus they come in cute prints! :mrgreen

How many you need depends on how often you want to wash. Covers do not need to be washed as often.

The last recommendation of 5 sounds pretty good...

When my kids peed in them only, I would rinse them in the sink and air dry them between washings.

Lady TS
03-24-2005, 09:21 AM
Thanks for everyone's helpful responses! I've learned a lot! :tu

I guess it sounds like Bummis are the way to go.

I still have two questions I'd love your input on:

1. Do you think I should order the Super WhisperWrap by Bummis or would the regular cooton Bummis covers work just as well? What are your favorite Bummis covers for newborns?

2. How many covers do I need to start out with?

3. What does "wick" mean? I see that word used all the time, but I have no idea what it means. :blush Does that mean pee comes through or that it gets pilly after washing or something else entirely?

Thanks!!!

I would go with the Super Whisper Wrap rather than the cotton ones. I've read on sites that sell them that the cotton ones are more likely to wick if you don't change soon enough. With this bb, I think I am going to use about 6 Proraps to start with because they are cheap and work and babies grow so fast at that stage that she will be out of them before too long. I'm saving my money for cute Bummis/other print wraps later on when they wear them longer. ;)

Micah
04-07-2005, 05:43 PM
I loved Bummis SWW until I tried Rikki Wraps...they are hands down #1 in my book. :)

Lady TS
04-07-2005, 06:15 PM
I loved Bummis SWW until I tried Rikki Wraps...they are hands down #1 in my book. :)

I've not seen Rikki wraps anywhere and did a google on them. They look very similar to Litewraps. Where do you get yours?

Micah
04-10-2005, 05:15 AM
Rikki Wraps are the velcro wrap style covers made by Motherease.

You can buy new from ME, or buy used on the ME swap board at their website.

You can also buy Rikkis new or used off ebay.

HTH! :heart

milkmommy
04-10-2005, 06:04 PM
I'll be using their inserts, and the service suggests the following covers:
ProRaps Didn't care for the legs had gaps and dd got rashes with these
Bumkins -I like these and come in addorable prints great for tri folding and worked well with my thin legged dd
Fuzzi-Bunz liked but the smalls didn't fit till around 4 months
CottonWrap didn't like but had some 100% cotton nicky's I LOVED not cheep though
Super WhisperWrap by Bummis another favorite and the froggie print is soo adorable :mrgreen good price because it has a wide weight range the newborns were gigantic on my newborn though
Pull-On Pants by Basic Connections okay good quick cover
Alexis Nylon Pull-On Pants hated these GIGANTIC the newborn size still has gaps on my DD and shes 2.5 YEARS! :eek
So Simple! Cover by Stacinator never tried
Stretch Merino Wool Cover by Stacinator never tried
I also LOOOVE ricki wraps! those and orginal bummi are my chice for newborn covers.

Deanna

Micah
04-12-2005, 08:57 PM
I was going to say that the So Simple cover by Stacinator is really neat, it's ugly but is wonderful for night time, those fleece cuffs are so soft and comfy..no red marks even on fat babies. ;)