PDA

View Full Version : Eclectic misfits check in here ...

Cindy
03-22-2005, 09:46 AM
I thought there needed to be a thread for those of who are somewhere in the middle...

You're not an unschooler, and you really aren't a school-at-homer. You have a basic plan for your child's education, and you do use a mixed bag of curriculum custom picked for your kids needs and abilities... You are flexible and not afraid to change plans when illnesses or "life" interferes in your school day, or your child wants to spend the day helping Daddy remodel the kitchen... You don't have a real "schedule" you start your day when you are good and ready. Generally in a good week you manage to cover all subjects sufficiently, and do a load or two of laundry... ;)

:thumbsup :thumbsup

erinee
03-22-2005, 09:56 AM
Well, I checked in under "relaxed/unschooler", but I think I fit in better here. I'm using so many things. It's been so much fun looking at everything and deciding on the best plan for us.

Chris3jam
03-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Actually this DOES sound like "unschooling", or "relaxed" schooling! Doing wht works best for the family! :D

BluegrassMama
03-22-2005, 10:45 AM
that's our description!

blessedmomof4
03-22-2005, 11:04 AM
I think I'm kinda here too. LOL!!

Our mornings are so flexible right now and I have the afternoon set aside for school time. I do keep a structured time for school each day. That's where we fit in the "school-at-home" group b/c I do use curriculums/worksheets. However, if something comes up and we need to take the afternoon off, I've FINALLY learned to relax and go with the flow. :)

ArmsOfLove
03-22-2005, 11:07 AM
I guess I think of unschoolers as those who intentionally embrace unschooling, not people like me who end up being unschoolers by default on busy days ;) Now, I totally believe thatc children can learn great with unschooling--and the last 8 months of my life hold that up to be true! But my style of homeschooling is normally a bit more structured than that ;)

So I'll check in here :tu

Piper2
03-22-2005, 11:12 AM
I'm also sort of an "unintentional unschooler", but I like having some sort of curriculum/plan to help keep ME on-track. That's one reason I'm really leaning towards a unit study based curriculum next year so I don't wind up beating myself up every day when I don't get Points 1, 2 and 3 covered on the "right" day. ;)

Compared to my SIL, who is a very strict school-at-home Abeka user, we're probably totally truant! :shifty

CelticJourney
03-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Eclectic misfits describes us pretty well :lol

Sara
03-22-2005, 11:55 AM
Ah, this thread fits me well! I checked in under the school-at-home thread, but that doesn't fit me quite as well because we aren't super-structured. We use a combination of resources for learning and we are definitely not afraid to stray from a schedule. And dd is very likely to do several weeks worth of math, just as an example, in a very short amount of time (like a few days) and then not want to look at math again for a month and I'm very okay with that approach to learning.

Teribear
03-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Well if you read my intro in the unschoolers thread you probably already know that I really do belong here. LOL! I agree philosophically with unschooling not because I had any great faith in it to begin with but because I saw how well she was doing in spite of me. :blush

So here's to "misfits" :grouphug

Cindy
03-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Actually this DOES sound like "unschooling", or "relaxed" schooling! Doing wht works best for the family! :D

But some families do very well with a structured "school-at-home" approach. You wouldn't call this unschooling, would you?

Booklover
03-22-2005, 12:37 PM
LOL! I guess I'm in this category too. We loosely follow the Well Trained Mind and other classical models, but use a variety of resources.

Piper2
03-22-2005, 12:39 PM

But some families do very well with a structured "school-at-home" approach. You wouldn't call this unschooling, would you?

I consider homeschooling "doing what's best for the family". :D Then under that broad category, you have the different "hows" of homeschooling -- school-at-home, relaxed schooling and unschooling. I think, technically, "eclectic" homeschooling could fall under any of those 3 sub-categories...even school-at-home... because it's possible for people to do that but not use one curriculum exclusively, KWIM?

Chris3jam
03-22-2005, 01:06 PM

Actually, I kind of would, in my own *personal* dictionary of terms. "Schooling", to me, is institutionalizing the children to be programmed to be a cog in the great machinery of commerce and finance of the world system (which is sort of what I got from reading Gatto). That is not to say that some children do very well within those parameters (but that's another discussion). So, therefore, to me, "unschooling" is NOT institutionalizing the children to be programmed to be a cog in the great machinery of commerce and finance. If doing worksheets floats your boat, by all means, use 'em! My son has asked for worksheets. No problem. Some children need more structure. That's not a problem. Some children need less. The more we, as a family, do this, the more I see that my children need freedom within boundaries. Structure? Hmmmmm. I don't know. And the parameters change as they grow and learn. But, as I put in my post in "Unschooling", are we "unschoolers"? Or aren't we? The lines are blurry, and whatever works for the family, to me, is "unschooling". I just, personally, equate government run institutions (public schools) with schooling. Anything else is "unschooling". In my mind. Weelll, ok, and maybe following someone else's curriculum so strictly as to not allow for anything else whatsoever (even if it's not working for the child), too. But, then again, I am probably not the sharpest tool in the toolbox, either! :D (oh, my poor kids!) :D Maybe it's wrong, but it's what got stuck in my mind (kinda like gum at the bottom of a shoe).

Cindy
03-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Sounds like "homeschooling" to me! :lol

ArmsOfLove
03-22-2005, 01:50 PM
Chris, maybe it is whether by "unschooling" someone means "philosophy" or "technique"

Chris3jam
03-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Well, now, I told you I wasn't the sharpest tack in the box! :D

ArmsOfLove
03-22-2005, 02:12 PM
NO--quite the opposite really! I was reading your post above and realized that I agreed with everything you said, but wouldn't call myself an unschooler ;) What you wrote is what gave me clarity :)

hearttender4
03-22-2005, 07:11 PM
I think I'd fit best under this category too. I try for a Charlottle Mason type of homeschool, have regular routines and plans, but don't mind dropping them when there's an opportunity for meaningful life experience learning or my kids come up with a great idea like writing a movie script. :)

Miss Priss
03-22-2005, 07:13 PM
I guess I think of unschoolers as those who intentionally embrace unschooling, not people like me who end up being unschoolers by default on busy days ;) Now, I totally believe thatc children can learn great with unschooling--and the last 8 months of my life hold that up to be true! But my style of homeschooling is normally a bit more structured than that ;)

So I'll check in here :tu

:tu
Describes us perfectly. And I'm so glad to know that there are others who are unintentional unschoolers some days.
Oh man- God just zapped me. I'm teaching my children more than I think on those unintentional unschool days- lessons about attitudes when things don't go our way.... :blush

ArmsOfLove
03-22-2005, 07:22 PM
I'm teaching my children more than I think on those unintentional unschool days- lessons about attitudes when things don't go our way....

yep--very true! :idea

fourbygrace
03-22-2005, 09:44 PM
I think we fall into this category as well. I really am closer to Charlotte Mason style, with some Classical thrown in. I like mini delight diected unit studies as well. Wwe are using Sonlight curriculum and a mix of other things. However, when life gives us other opportunities (planned or unplanned), we are pretty flexible and just go with it. I, too, am finding that my children learn a lot when we are not "doing school" in a structured manner. When we do sit down and have "table time", it is only for about a half an hour to a max. of an hour a day. There is a great deal to learn through every day family life.

Quote by Mary Hood author of The Relaxed Homeschool : "God created families, not schools."

Blessings,
Mary

2TMama
03-23-2005, 11:07 AM
Count me in! (at least unless somewhere along the line we find a different approach works better!?!) ;)

MamaBeth
03-23-2005, 11:28 AM
I think that would fit me best LOL because I'm not strict about using the curriculum (or rather, I'd prefer to not be, have slipped and just came back to my senses LOL!)

findingjoy
03-23-2005, 03:51 PM
I'll check in here! We don't have a set philosophy or technique yet, but I do like a bit of structure to get us started. My ds and I both seem to do better with a little structure to our day in general. We are very relaxed though and don't get uptight about sticking to a rigid curriculum. I know I won't be using a packaged curriculum, but may use some structured materials for some subjects (math and phonics), but lean more towards unschooling for everything else. My son is just reaching "school age" so I am trying to figure out our philosophy and goals. Of course those will probably grow and change with our family. And of course learning really takes place all the time. It's a matter of what we are teaching in those every day moments and also making the most of learning opportunities. I love learning right alongside my kids! :)

TestifyToLove
03-23-2005, 04:03 PM
I think we would best fit under this category.

I do have a loose 'schedule' of school hours, mostly because they were running and hiding in their bedrooms and needed a bit more structure. But, its very flexible. I also use some cirriculum and workbooks, but I also do a LOT of reading and a lot of life lessons stuff. I decided to add daily walks this week. Monday we went out and had a blast. Its been pouring since then and they are now driving me nuts from being stuck inside.

I'm going to purchase Sonlight this summer. But, I'm not sure I'm absolutely going to follow their structure. At the very least, DH feels its an excellent way to get a large variety of options for reading and working with. But, I attempted Calvert and was miserable, so we aren't about to go back to that type of schooling again.

joandsarah77
05-23-2005, 05:21 PM
I know this is a really old thread, but I thought I would check in any ways.
Don't know if any of you have seen the home school quiz 'What kind of homeschooler are you?' I am a Mr Potato head :laughtears http://quizilla.com/users/guiltfree/quizzes/What%20Type%20of%20Homeschooler%20Are%20You%3F/
Jo

Chris3jam
05-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Salvador Dali Melting clocks are not a problem in your reality. You are an unschooler. You will tolerate a textbook, but only as a last resort. Mud is your friend. You prefer hands-on everything. If your school had an anthem, it would be Dont Worry, Be Happy.

:laughtears :laughtears :laughtears :laughtears :laughtears

Well, I'm not THAT readical (hmmmm, maybe I am!) :laughtears

4Cygnets
05-24-2005, 12:10 PM
We are totally eclectic misfits who become unintentional unschoolers on way too many days than I'd like to admit :laughtears

I'm glad I'm not alone :grouphug