PDA

View Full Version : Yeast infections

Danette
03-22-2005, 07:30 AM
I keep getting one after another. I've been taking acidopholis (sp?), keeping dry, wearing cotton panties etc... but it's not kicking it. Diflucan works well but it just comes back 6 weeks later. I'm pretty sure it's due to hormones..... any suggestions. I'm tried of this. :hissyfit

wuzzie
03-22-2005, 11:20 AM
How is your sugar intake? :cookie When I eat more than I should I almost always get one. Also, don't use any soap down there. I know it sounds grow, but it's like your eye. It's a mucus membrane and soap messes with your ph levels. Just rinse carefully with water.

righteous mama
03-22-2005, 11:25 AM
Well, there is a product I think by Solaray called Grapefruit Seed Extract - Yeast Fighting Formula. I don't know if you can get your hands on one, but it works pretty good. I would definitely try it! (I keep one in my fridge at all times!)

cobluegirl
03-22-2005, 12:01 PM
Danette will pm you some info!

Danette
03-22-2005, 12:46 PM
How is your sugar intake? Don't ask me that! I've taken all the advice I can get my hands on except cutting back on sugar. :P :hkiss :cookie :hkiss :cookie Alright.... I'm miserable enough to try.

Marcella is this the product you recommend?? Solary (http://www.betterlife.com/prod_home_page.asp?prod_id=5951)

tempus vernum
03-23-2005, 07:08 AM
There is also a homeopathic remedy called "yeast away" by Boiron that has been awesome for me. I had CRONIC yeast infections and this helped. But it took 2 times (2 7 day treatments). AND TBH, I still got a yeast infection every once in a while until I started drinking kefir which is similar to yogurt but liquid and not heated so has even more acidophilous and good bacteria.

Here is a website that tells about a lot of different natural remedies (http://www.eurekanaturalfoods.com/yeast.htm)

findingjoy
03-24-2005, 03:08 PM
You might want to try an anti-yeast diet. I did Feast Without Yeast (it's a book), but there are others. I also have used Grapefruit Seed Extract (orally) and Kyolic garlic capsules. I had more of a systemic yeast problem, but if you are having recurring infections you might too. It's so hard to get rid of!

ACboysmom
03-26-2005, 11:32 PM
I looked up natural home remedies for yeast infections on google. Got the idea to use plain yogurt that has the live cultures. It is working!!!!! 38 cents. No co-pay. no insurance filing. No waiting at the doctor's office. No yukky allergic reaction to the meds they usually prescribe for me. Doesn't affect my bf of ds. They also talk about a couple of other remedies tea tree oil and maybe another one. Let me see if I can find the link.

ACboysmom
03-26-2005, 11:37 PM
Did not find the link I wanted, but here is one to information about Feast without Yeast. My sister has done great with this book and his suggestions. The foods and recipes are really good. to find the home remedies, a google search came up with them pretty quickly. Blessings! I know it can be frustrating!!! :rolleyes

http://www.nutritioninstitute.com/fwy.html

Danette
03-29-2005, 03:06 AM
Thank you all for your advice. It is very much appreciated. I think I've been treated by the dr. so much the past few months trying to get rid of this infection that I've destoryed my natural flora. I'm not sure how to get it back to normal and my body doesn't know how to respond now without the meds. I'm so frustrated. I'm deffinitly going to try some more natural things now to see if it will bring me back to normal.

Another thing I noticed is that I get the infection, I take the medicine, I feel better then I start being intimate with my dh again and the infection comes back and intensifies before my period. My Dr. keeps telling me that yeast or bactieria are not sexually transmitted but I can't help but wonder if maybe she is wrong. :/

findingjoy
03-29-2005, 01:23 PM
I thought I read one time that it could be sexually transmitted and that both partners may need to be treated. I can't remember where I read that though. You might try some different probiotics to help restore the good bacteria. I have tried several and could not tell a big difference between them, but my mil really likes ThreeLac. I have used it too. Kind of expensive, but is supposed to be very powerful and good for Candida. http://www.candidafree.net/pages/1/index.htm

2sunshines
03-30-2005, 08:03 AM
That is true.

You can eliminate it, only to have your dh carry it and keep reinfecting you. I think that generally a man is symptom free is he has yeast so he may never know.

You might want to get your dh to take acidolpholus too...

ACboysmom
03-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Update: YOGURT NOT WORKING. :rolleyes :O Had to resort to medical treatment this morning. :O

blessedmama21
03-31-2005, 09:44 AM
my mom has said she and my dad passed one back and forth on their honeymoon-so I think it is possible.
Also, my midwife just recommended I not use Always pads because that layer that keeps you dry actually holds the moisture up to your skin, possibly causing a yeast infection.

Danette
04-01-2005, 02:40 AM
Interesting about the pads. I use panty liners everyday. Hmmmmmm. :think

Ya know.... I was reading the thread on the progesterone cream. I have a lot of the low progesterone symptoms. I've put a call in to my dr. I'm going to ask her about it and see what she thinks. I'm having 3 week cycles and I'm pretty sure I'm not ovulating anymore. Plus the yeast infections and a major change in PMS symptoms since the change in my cycle. Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of this soon.

Leslie
04-02-2005, 02:34 PM
I haven't had infections, but, when I got serious about doing a raw diet a couple months ago and started eating lots and lots of fruit, I started getting a rash all over. It felt like poison ivy. Apparently the fruit sugar triggered yeast growth. I cut down on fruit and took Candex (it kills yeast but is safe to use even while breastfeeding.) It seems to have helped, I'm slowly able to handle more fruit, although I still get itchy if I go hog-wild.

I read a lot online when I was trying to figure out what was going on with my rash, and it seems like most people can control yeast with diet, but you have to cut out sugar, totally. The best diet is meat and lots of veggies. There's something called Threelac that I've heard great things about, it allows you to get rid of a yeast problem even while eating sugar. I think it's the only treatment that makes that claim.

Soliloquy
04-05-2005, 09:29 PM
I know how awful this is! I had yeast/thrush on 3 areas of my body and I wanted to claw my skin off. I agree with many of the other posts. Here are my recommendations . . . I'm not sure home many of them you're already doing, but this is what I did and I finally got rid of it.

1. Even though you had to go back on the meds, I'd keep up with the plain yogurt. Get organic, if you can, preferably kefir. Chronic yeast could be an indication that your GI tract is out of balance. Yogurt and kefir every day can correct this.

2. I know it's REALLY hard, but cut back on sugar. Take it one day at a time. No sugar at all unless it's fruit. No white bread, white rice, or white pasta. All whole grain.

3. I don't know you're situation (if you work or are at home) but try not wearing ANY underwear. Can you wear long skirts or baggy sweats around the house? Definitely don't wear any underwear to bed, just a cotton night gown. Yeast thrives in dark, moist environments and the more air circulation the quicker you'll beat this.

4. Others mentioned the grapefruit seed extract (GSE). You can find it at health food stores. Get some that says citricidal GSE. It's really potent stuff. You put 10-20 drops in a glass of distilled water (start with 10 drops). Drink this 2x a day, about an hour before you have your yogurt. When I did this, I actually felt tingles in the areas where I had yeast problems.

5. If you take Diflucan, try taking it 2-3 times a week for 6 weeks, or every day for 10 days. Your insurance probably won't cover this many pills without an explanation from your doctor. My OB said that yeast needs a long, extended treatment with Diflucan or else it just comes back.

HTH . . . I know what you're going through . . . you can beat this!

ACboysmom
04-06-2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the info, Lisa!
nak
Rosie

BJ_BOBBI_JO
11-24-2007, 12:14 PM
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to mention a few things I have learned.

Anyone having chronic health issues and chronic yeast troubles might want to do a google search on the he word " candida". it is a word that has to do with yeast,molds and fungas. Candida can not only affect the female parts like we always hear about but also can affect the entire body such as the bladder, ears, sinuses, respitory system, reproductive and digestive systems and much more and reeks havoc. Female yeast infections being amongst the most known of the candida's.

Foods/herbs good for fighting off yeast ( candida) that I can think of off hand are :

-oregano ( a strong one)
-garlic
-chlorophyll
-golden seal
-goldenrod

There are many of them. I find oregano pills alone work real well. There are candida fighting supplements out there. I know when candida levels start getting more common in me I will get ear, sinus and bladder issues. and sometimes female yeast infections.

Some docs believe in candida and some don't. I know that it exist and affects ones health very much so.

Too much sugar and carbs can greatly worsen Candida/yeasts.