PDA

View Full Version : Playing Catch up...

Heather
03-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Angela is behind in reading, and it gets pretty frustrating for her at times. She is finally to the point where she wants to read constantly and it frustrates her to constantly ask for help. I can tell she really wants her to do it on her own. She is doing pretty well, and actually has gotten much better lately.

My question is, what would be the best thing to give her the *BOOST* she needs? Now that she is reading for enjoyment, I don't want a little frustration to get in the way. Phonics is definately not one of my *skilled* areas, I was taught using sight reading - never even dealt of phonics before kids.

She loves computers, so I have looked for things in that area, but there is so much stuff, I'd love to get a reccomendation from you ladies!

If I could tackle and get a hold on something that works to use this summer or even from now til fall - it would be wonderful. One less hurdle to jump while starting homeschooling.

blessedmomof4
03-21-2005, 10:17 PM
Is she reading books on her level? Books with repetition (Cat in the Hat, etc) and easy sight words? Has she played at http://www.starfall.com?

Another idea is to make her some flash cards. You could work on them together and it's also something she can take on her own and read (to help make them feel like "hers", let her help color them or write the words if she can). For example:
at
cat
bat
sat
hat
mat

it
sit
hit
fit

and so on...

I didn't learn Phonics in school either but I'm teaching it to my girls. I have to say, I've learned A LOT!! LOL! I use Rod & Staff for Phonics. It's fairly inexpensive, easy for mom/teacher to use and is good about repetition.

HTH some! :)

rosesnsnails
03-21-2005, 10:37 PM
How can you tell what level she or any child "should" be at?

As for your dd, what about books on tape that she can read along with?

ShangriLewis
03-22-2005, 12:03 AM
I love Starfall.com. OH wait..so do the boys. Gibran is 8 and reads really well, but he still will play Starfall with Porter. Plus, it's free. Don't worry about her level. She's still young. Explode the code are really cool workbooks. They aren't intimadating either. What is she trying to read? Do you both read together. That way you can see the words she is struggling with.

Booklover
03-22-2005, 05:11 AM
My ds just turned 9, and he is a little behind also. He read out loud from a book about the Trojan War last week, though, and did pretty well. I try to work on fluency with him. Reading Rescue 1-2-3 was a good book, although I'm not using the techniques right now. I think I'm going to order a copy. Also there is http://www.studydog.com/reading/sd/default.asp a free software program. I hope that link works. I haven't tried Study Dog yet.

Heather
03-22-2005, 06:32 AM
Angela can read *most* Dr. Seuss Books pretty well, but still slowly. The way she reads is kind of odd... she can easily read some bigger words but then will get stumped on one that she already knows. Yeah, that sounds wierd... but its hard to explain.

As far as books on tape, we have tried this, but she doesn't seem to absorb the information. In other words she listens to it but doesn't "hear" it. I think maybe because she is too easily distracted?

I haven't heard of study dog yet, I'll have to try that!

blessedmomof4
03-22-2005, 11:06 AM
As far the level they are at....if my dd can read a book with ease then I know it's on her level. If she breezes thru it then it's too easy. If she struggles with words then it's a little above.