PDA

View Full Version : Homeschool decision...

Heather
03-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Little background here... I considered homeschooling Angela this year... but decided to give public school another shot... :banghead

Well, she is quite behind at school and struggles with the environment and the learning methods. The school system tested her and I also had some private testing done. Most of the areas on her IQ test were average, some were below normal and a few were at the top of the charts. The school decided to send her to a resourse classroom for an hour a day for more individualized learning. She has progressed quite a bit since they started this... but still seems to learn nothing while in her regular classroom. We spend over 3 hours nightly doing homework... where I am essentially teaching her what she didn't learn in school. In the process the school system also diagnosed her as having Aspergers, which I didn't entirely agree with.

Well, after waiting for almost a year, we finally got her in with a developmental pediatrician at our local children's hospital. After looking at all the testing scores he said that in his opinion, if she is not learning, it is their fault not hers. He was outraged that they want to hold her back this year. He said that I should confront her teacher about holding her back, and to show her scores to them and flatly tell them that it is their fault, not hers. Seriously at one time, her teacher said "There is nothing I can do to help her, I don't understand her." So far I have gotten two letters from the school asking me to agree that she needs to be held back in 2nd grade. I have refused to sign them.

So, luckilly my mom was there, because her and my father think it is silly to consider homeschooling. They always give the "socialization" defense. Well, I asked the doctor about Homeschool and he said that if they plan to keep her in 2nd grade that I should homeschool her. He even said that is basically what I am doing now having to do homework for 3 hours each night. I also asked him his opinion on homeschooling and socialization - he flatly told my Mom that that was the worst argument against homeschool. He told her that public school is only ONE of millions of ways to socialize, and probably the worst of all of them.

In the end, he applauded me for being a stubborn mom and fighting for DD. He also said that he would never diagnose Angela as having Aspergers, he said that she is perhaps a bit different, but he also said that is a good thing. He did mention that she may have a bit of OCD.

All in all I have decided to go ahead with homeschooling Angela next year, however... if they for some reason change their mind and decide to promote her to 3rd grade I may reconsider. But that is very doubtful.

I'm not planning on homeschooling Holden just yet. He is very advanced for a Kindergartener, and LOVES school. He seems to thrive there, so why mess with something that works... Right?

So, what do you ladies think... am I making the right decision?

Sara
03-21-2005, 02:21 PM
Heather,

I definitely think it sounds like you are making the right decision. I think it is wonderful that the pediatrician was so supportive of you and of HSing. It doesn't sound like school is doing her any good and she could probably make a lot of strides in the right environment. The bottom line is that sometimes school just doesn't work for some kids - and particulary when you have teachers who are basically unwilling to help. Even if they do decide to pass her, I would still consider HSing just so that you can work with her and help her. That doesn't mean you have to HS forever, but at this point in your dd's life, it seems like it would be a good option for her.

AprilBr
03-21-2005, 02:22 PM
:clap I applaud for sticking up for your daughter and that doctor sounds AWESOME! It seems like the school system is being pretty negative toward your daughter and that is outrageous! :td If you believe that your son is excelling in ps then by all means keep him there...it is your decision and you know your child. (that goes for your daughter too---you know her and it is your decision). :hug

allisonintx
03-21-2005, 02:37 PM
Aspergers.........the au currant diagnosis. They're laying that one on anyone who is any shaped peg other than round.

Blech :td

Good for you for NOT listening!

You'll spend the same 3 hours schooling at home and be done for the day!

Sandy
03-21-2005, 02:44 PM
Sounds to me like your daughter very much needs you to hs her. I wouldn't even think twice about it....even if the school changes their mind. You will spend your time fighting with them about what is best for your daughter. Bring her home!

Jan Andrea
03-21-2005, 02:53 PM
I agree that you are absolutely right -- and how cool to have your parents there when the doctor agreed! That's awesome!

I want to homeschool Stephen, but my whole family wants him to go to school :( We have signed him up for kindergarten, so I guess we'll see how that goes, but I'm not holding my breath. He's a very sensitive child, and I can't see the "socialization" being very good for him. I'd rather have more control over who he plays with, which seems to really bother some people :rolleyes but geez, he'll be just 5! Parents should have control over that age!

Anyway. I'm sure your DD will thrive at home... school certainly isn't doing the job!

iplsmama
03-21-2005, 03:26 PM
I agree I would homeschool in a heartbeat. Talk about individualized attention. And what a great doc, can I say jealous?? :clap

Heather
03-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Yes, he is a wonderful doctor... In case anyone is local or familiar he is at Brenners Children's Hospital, Amos Cottage. It is a division of Wake Forest University Baptist Hospital. He is great. The downside is it takes a year to get an appointment, and lots of referrals even though we don't need referrals with our insurance.

I'm pretty confident and sure in my decision to homeschool. But, who knows. I plan to use Math U See with Angela because I bought it for her to "catch up" last summer and she loved it so much she finished a WHOLE years worth in 2 weeks.

Other than that I'm not sure. She loves computers and learns really well from them so we are considering switched on schoolhouse for the rest. But she is also a kid who can take one thing and spread it into hundreds. She loves to go to the library and looking things up on the internet. I wouldn't get switched on schoolhouse and depend on it to teach her if you KWIM... But instead use it as something to motivate her.

Hmm... any other suggestions? I really appreciate the support here!

mommyTay
03-21-2005, 08:44 PM
Your situation sounds so similar to our 8yo son. Except, our little country school didn't try to label him beyond a "learning disability" and set him up with an IEP. He was getting so frustrated, exhausted and I think a little depressed, we pulled him out last month and started homeschooling.

His attitude is starting to brighten, and I am feeling so much less stressed having him home!
We pick and choose our curriculums by interest. My kids love literature based studies, our 12 has been homeschool from the beginning.

Glad you were able to find a supportive doctor, and I hope your parents understand "socializaton" a little better now.
Homeschool is a learning adventure for the whole family! I hope you will enjoy it as much as we do!