PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else make diapers?

Lantern Light Mama
03-21-2005, 12:30 PM
I have the new hobby of diaper making, and I am learning for baby number two. Im using plain flannel and terry and making wool covers from old sweaters.. The diapers are pretty cute, but sewing in the elastic has really been a huge issue for me. I do it by hand because my machine is a basic one stitch machine. Does anyone have any tips for sewing elastic? :shrug

Iarwain
03-21-2005, 01:37 PM
I sew my diapers. I have made mostly AIOs, although a long time ago I made a bunch of flannel and terry fitteds from the better Baby Diaper Pattern. I worked up my own AIO pattern and now I use that.

Are you saying that your machine doesn't have a zigzag? THAT would be a bummer. But you do have the option of modifying your pattern a little to make a casing for the elastic and then you'd only have to stitch down the ends of it. You could do that with a straight stitch. Any other application method really requires a zigzag stitch.

Need any help figuring out how to modify your pattern?

sylvi76
03-21-2005, 01:51 PM
I'm slowly, very slowly, learning how to turn prefolds into fitteds. So far they look more like contours. Elastic - I just use a basic straight stitch - and it seems to hold it in place and work.

Garnet
03-22-2005, 07:29 AM
I do! And my machine only has a straight stitch! I do these ways make a casing, by fold ing fabric over it, and putting a stitch at one end of teh elastic, and pulling tight, then stitch the other end, then the casing edge, or I mark where I want it, put the elastic under the presser foot (that feeds the fabric under the needle?) stitch a few through that end, Then pull real tight, and stitch straight down the middle, or I make two layers and stitch the elastic on the "inside" of the dipe, so when its turned right side out, the elastic is covered. I have made AIO's, and pockets

BeckaBlue
03-22-2005, 08:19 AM
what do yall use to make the aio's waterproofed?

im making fitteds, for now, but would like to do aio's

Keiko
03-22-2005, 09:15 AM
I'm in the middle of making some fitted's for baby #2. I also make aio's and crocheted wool soakers for dd. (Very Baby and PooPockets patterns)

To keep aio's waterproof, you can use PUL or waterproof fleece.

Stacey

Iarwain
03-22-2005, 10:25 AM
I use PUL. PUL stands for Polyurethane Laminate. It is usually a polyester knit with a layer of polyurethane laminated to the back of it although there are sometimes co-ops where you can send in your own fabric and have it laminated. It is acquired most cheaply through online co-ops. I can usually get it for around $5-$5.50 a yard for 60 inch wide fabric.

BeckaBlue
03-22-2005, 10:33 AM
thats what i figured, ill think more about it, but it's pricey (guess thats why aios are pricey, eh? lol!)

Radosny Matka
03-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Not to sell, but I made all of my diapers. It is fun, and I love finding cute fabrics.

TheSweetLife
03-22-2005, 03:07 PM
I make diapers for dd too, I have pretty much decided pocket dipes are the way to go for me. I use the mamabird pattern : http://www.geocities.com/rew4birth/index.html

I use one layer of PUL and an inner layer of suede cloth. You can get PUL at www.diapershop.com (http://www.diapershop.com) or www.cutiebunz.com (http://www.cutiebunz.com) I would recommend getting 2MIL PUL b/c it is a little more durable.

for the insert I just fold a chinese prefold into thirds and stuff it in the dipe. This seemst to be absorbant enough for my dd and it is easy to wash b/c I just shake out the insert into the pail and throw in the pocket dipe then just wash them all together on two cycles. It does take 2 drying cycles for the chinese prefolds.

Garnet
03-22-2005, 06:22 PM
I don't waterproof my AIO's or pockets currently, but, PUL is almost the same as Gortex, a sporting goods material. You won't be able to buy it at Wlamart ;) but any fabric store should have a selection of material for sporting goods (such as waterproof vests, hunters gear, etc) a while ago I had bought some white material, it was made waterproof, and had UBV blocking capapbilities, its for lake and sea fisherman. I sewed the waterproof material as a inner third layer. It went pretty cotton for outside, waterproof material, then fleece or flannel. It worked pretty good, it was a pocket dipe, but the same idea could go for AIO's.

I suggest doing a internet search on PUL and Gortex, to see how similar they are. There are also precentage formulas for what goes in them, etc.

cannuke
03-22-2005, 07:51 PM
I've seen the PooPockets pattern. Any luck with that?

I'd really like to sew my own diapers and I think that I can. I'm just not sure which pattern to use! My first thought was just to do prefolds, then figure out what works for baby.

Any thoughts on which pattern is good to start with? Or how to know which one may be better for a given baby?

ernamosher
03-23-2005, 06:04 AM
I make my own cloth diapers too. I am having a problem with my foe wicking on my aio. I use the mama bird pattern and I love it. I got a great deal on foe at walmart, but it is very soft. I am wondering if the leaking is just because of the type of foe I bought? Any suggestions here? Also does anyone make the aio without using foe for binding? Can you use two layers of pul or other waterproof materials and put the elastic in the middle? Or would that be too bulky and hot?

I really need some ideas, I hate to sew up anymore diapers that are not going to work! thanks

TheSweetLife
03-23-2005, 09:44 AM
For my diapers (they are the pocket kind) I used the mama bird pattern also. instead of using the foe, I sew the back elastic portion (not sewing the two sides together in this back part so there is an opening for the insert) and then sew the whole diaper with the right sides together and then sew the elastic in the legs. Then I turn them right side out and add the final snaps. let me try posing a pic of one I did -

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/ModernMama/November202004008.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/ModernMama/November202004007.jpg

Though let me tell you that with this dipe I used cotton over the layer of PUL and I wouldn't do this again because it did wick badly. But at least you get the idea of what it looks like.

Garnet
03-23-2005, 11:38 AM
What is FOE? I use the apttern at www.diapersewing.com and make my own patterns.

TheSweetLife
03-23-2005, 11:40 AM
foe is Fold Over Elastic. Sometimes people use this as a kind of binding on diapers and just pull tight where they need the elastic part.

Garnet
03-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Oh! The type you sew on edges? It wicks? Thats sad.

kris10s
03-23-2005, 12:20 PM
Stacie, wicking or no, that diaper is GORGEOUS!

TheSweetLife
03-23-2005, 01:07 PM

ernamosher
03-24-2005, 06:24 AM
Stacie, I love that diaper. Thanks for showing the pictures.

greenemama
03-24-2005, 06:25 AM
:tu :tu :tu

you rock, stacie!

Lantern Light Mama
03-24-2005, 07:10 AM
I'm actually enjoying diaper making even though it takes me forever now. I have also made two wool covers and put a little draw string waste into them to make them fit right, then I lanolized them. These are really easy to make. I just traced a wool cover onto and old sweater and saved the arm bands for the legs, and they seem pretty sturdy. I'm not sure how well they will work though.

As for the diapers I am just making fitted dipes with velcro when I'm in the mood to sew any at all. I get remnant fabrics pretty cheap and can usually get one or two diapers out of those. Sometimes they look nice, sometimes they don't. I still need to work on my elastic though.:)

MarynMunchkins
03-26-2005, 11:15 AM
I make prefolds so I don't have to mess with elastic. ;) I have to say, I really like prefolds better than fitteds. :shrug

milkmommy
03-26-2005, 11:28 AM
I make prefolds so I don't have to mess with elastic. ;) I have to say, I really like prefolds better than fitteds. :shrug

I do too, While I am loving my pockets during this toddler wiggly stage nothing beats a prefold. Honestly if DH wasn't so Prefold chalenged (tri folding even confuses him) I would have stuck with my orginal system diaperaps with pinned prefolds and a flushable liner.

Deanna

ozmummy
03-26-2005, 10:54 PM
I'm making fleece pockets with the Honeyboy pattern. I find it's really roomy for stuffing as much as you want which is good in giving flexibility for day vs night nappies. For the elastic I first sew my inside and outside together (right sides facing) then tack the end of the elastic onto the seam allowance, stretch the ealstic out and do a 3-step zigzag sewing the elastic onto the seam allowance, for as long as the elastic needs to be, then finishing with another tack and cutting the elastic. Then turn diaper right side out, and top stitch if I feel like it ;) I have heard of some people having trouble with elastic snapping when they only tack each end.... :shrug
I personally don't like the plastic-ky feel of PUL so I have gone with MM windpro/300 wt fleece for outer, and microfleec for inner. It's been around $5 a yard, and you can get probably 6-8 small or 4-5 large out of each yard, so it still works out alot cheape than ready made....

Laura
03-29-2005, 05:36 AM
I make diapers using the Very Baby patterns. I've done mostly fitteds so far, but I'm just now branching out into AIO's now that the wedding is over. I hope to start doing this as a small business within the next 6 months.

Marielle
03-29-2005, 12:42 PM
a mom on amity posted instructions on turning prefolds & PUL into AIOs. I'm in the process of making 18 of them right now. They're really handy and I love that it's just cotton on the inside like prefolds but with the gathering & waterproof nature of an AIO. I'm doing them with snaps but you can also do them with velcro.

After my first franken-diaper I realized I had to lengthen my 3-step zig zag to get the elastic to gather. It was really weird looking LOL.

bunbunmama
04-01-2005, 12:10 PM
I'm just starting to make diapers for baby #2...I'm a cheapskate, though, so I'm not spending much on fabric....we'll see how these work. As for PUL....I saw here http://www.wazoodle.com/cgi-bin/catstore.cgi?user_action=category&category=Fabrics;Barrier
that a fabric called Procare is much more durable, especially if you're going to need to wash it often. They seem to have decent prices on it, too...although I don't know how much shipping would be.

Marielle
04-01-2005, 12:43 PM
I just finished my first Prefold/AIO conversion. Please ignore the horrid topstitching - I had a toddler hanging off my leg:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/marielle448/DSC03027.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/marielle448/DSC03028.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/marielle448/DSC03029.jpg

TheSweetLife
04-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Great Job! :tu

Lantern Light Mama
04-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Well done, beautiful. You have such talent for diaper making!!!

Marielle
04-06-2005, 02:37 PM
thanks but I really suck at diaper making. I'm in the process of making the other 18 and let's just say that they're functional. I would go batty doing it for a living.

kris10s
04-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Do you have your own snap press? How cool! :cool I wish I did... but I definitely would not get my money's worth out of it. :shrug I have heard that there are WAHMs that will adhere snaps (for a fee). I should look into that.

Marielle
04-08-2005, 08:33 AM
yup I just bought a snap press. I use it for diapers but also for putting in snaps to the kiddo's pants/shorts/outfits as well as future baby sewing. I got a great deal through a mom on AmityMama that sells them Plus they resell so well.

joyfulmomof2
04-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Those are awesome diapers!! I make flats.

Garnet
04-09-2005, 06:13 AM
Have you tried the snap thing from Walmart? Its a little plastic piece that holds teh snap in place, and you have to bang it with a hammer? It costs less than $5 and worked well for me. I wish I had a sewing machine that wants to work and a serger.

Micah
04-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Have you tried the snap thing from Walmart? Its a little plastic piece that holds teh snap in place, and you have to bang it with a hammer? It costs less than $5 and worked well for me. I wish I had a sewing machine that wants to work and a serger.

I think those only work on metal snaps? The snap press is for the polyresin diaper snaps. :)

Julia R
04-28-2005, 08:27 PM
FOE wicking could be because of it's content. I use good FOE and it wicks a little. Because elastic is woven or braided there will be little spaces between the fibers that are going to collect some water. You can use other materials for binding. I have used pul. It's a little bulky though and doesn't let the elastic retract all the way back to shape. You don't want to use 2 layers. Just make binding strips. The clover bias tape makers work great. It's easier to apply with a bias binder foot. Some people use some kind of interfacing stuff, but I haven't figured out what this is. You can spray the dipes with water repellent. See if turn & stitch method works for your pattern- that would probably be the simplest solution.

I use PooPockets side snap with pins and quick snap/wrap covers. I can give you more details about these patterns if desired.

Celeste
05-06-2005, 01:18 PM
that is so cool that you are making your own cloth diapers. I was such a cloth diaper freak when the twins were little. I even made my own laundry deterg to wash them in. To this day I still can't get rid of them. I bought special matching diapers and covers for all holidays. Mostly Benjamuffins and Luke's Drawers. Not to mention the big old reversible matching bubble pants to go over them. Ok, and the blankets...

Lantern Light Mama
05-10-2005, 08:01 AM
My diaper making has gotten better. I am better at making AIO's than pockets though. My pockets seem to fray to much for me to be happy with them. I'd like the snap kit from walmart, but I'm still trying to sort out in my brain on how to get the snaps exactly in place so they work right!

I'm going to make some more diapers and pads to take to LLL Monday. It'll probably freak half the women there out. lol.

Garnet
05-11-2005, 06:12 AM
have you tried some cotton binding on the dipe edges to stop the fraying?

Lantern Light Mama
05-11-2005, 12:14 PM
I have come up with an easy solution...leave some overhang over the top so that when I turn my diaper right side out, I can fold the edges under and sew it up. So far that words well but I think binding may be much easier to do than this.

Ok, those plastic snappy things from Walmart are rotten. Mine already broke and I just got it yesterday:( I will be exchanging it or atleast getting a better kit!

And here is more news to my ears....the lady at the Singer Shop today told me that Walmart thread peels and if bad for your machine. :think Does anyone know if this is true? She said it is poor quality and full of knots and bumps that can get caught up in your machine, and well since I don't have a machine and im using my sisters I just want to make sure there is no truth in this. We are kind of rural here and limited to what we can buy.

Garnet
05-11-2005, 12:58 PM
I've never had any problems w it? But I use the upholstery thread, or whatever it is, because it seems to sew tighter and last longer. :shrug

wuzzie
05-26-2005, 12:49 PM
I have come up with an easy solution...leave some overhang over the top so that when I turn my diaper right side out, I
And here is more news to my ears....the lady at the Singer Shop today told me that Walmart thread peels and if bad for your machine. :think Does anyone know if this is true? She said it is poor quality and full of knots and bumps that can get caught up in your machine, and well since I don't have a machine and im using my sisters I just want to make sure there is no truth in this. We are kind of rural here and limited to what we can buy.

Yep that's true. The woman who WORKED at Walmart told me she would strangle me if she ever saw it in my cart. :grin Also, no one really answered your question about the elastic. There are 2 way you can go here. If you are turning and topstiching take a look at this tutorial. She explains it so much better than I can http://www.geocities.com/mytafadhali/FittedDiapers.htm#topstitched You can also Just tack it down on one side, leave you needle DOWN and strech out your elastic and then just strait stich over it. It works better if you are only using one or 2 layers of fabris, it WON'T work with a bunch of layers. HTH.

Lantern Light Mama
05-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Ok, I have made some progress I pretty much do what she says on the site about making the diaper. Then I sew my elastic width wise into the diper on both ends. Does that make sense? When I turn it right side out I catch the elastic and pull it tight and sew on the width of the other side to hold it in place. That way it is nice and stretchy. I try to make the diapers pretty thick too, atleast four layers plus the soaker. Some of them have turned out very nice so I guess its really practice makes perfect on this one.

Im too tired to sew the last two weeks so I am taking a break til I get rid of this awful earache. If the Homeopathics don't kick in by morning I have to go to the Dr....yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck.