PDA

View Full Version : My house is a disaster

TheJAngelsMom
03-21-2005, 11:56 AM
It is a disaster right now and I really don't want to clean. How can I motivate myself to clean it? I hate days like this. :banghead :hissyfit

jujubnme
03-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Boy, can I relate! Ever since we got back from our trip to Washington, I've felt like a slug and my house has reaped the consequences. Ugh! I am trying to keep in mind how *good* it will feel to be rid of the mess. With that in mind, um, I guess I'd better get back at it, huh. :blush

TheJAngelsMom
03-21-2005, 12:27 PM
I suppose getting off of here would help. :shifty

mamame
03-21-2005, 02:34 PM
Invite people over! It works for us! LOL!! Our house is never cleaner than when we have an event here. I've had 2 wedding receptions for over 200 people each so EVERY room needed to be clean. On Friday morning, we're having a Good Friday breakfast for all of the pastors and families from our church (DH is a pastor - one of 9) so that will be 40+ people coming over! I'm spending time cleaning all week although I'm not cleaning every room - just the rooms that will be used.

Sara
03-21-2005, 02:37 PM
:lol Isn't that the truth, Ann? Having company always motivates us to keep (get) the house clean. :)

phermion
03-21-2005, 02:43 PM
A friend and I "meet" online (yahoo IM) and we set our timers for 5 - 15 minutes and then when our timers go off we come back and brag about what we got done. *laugh* Actually, it can be a blast to see who can get more done. Kinda childish I know, but it works for us! :highfive (And you get a pat on the back ;) from someone who knows how hard you've worked.) We do this when it's just too hard to do it on your own.

This Busy Mom
03-21-2005, 02:53 PM
Mine's trashed right now. I don't care... I've been tired. I have costumes to make for the children's play. I need to get those done.

I want a cleaning buddy :hissyfit :laughtears

OnlyBelieve
03-21-2005, 04:50 PM
Mine too.....today was supposed to be my cleaning day but I found out that the board was back up so cleaning went out the window.

MamaJayne
03-21-2005, 05:38 PM
*SIGH* I need a cleaning buddy too. Would one of you please come over and give me a kick in the rear end to get me goinjg here?

TheJAngelsMom
03-22-2005, 03:35 AM
A cleaning buddy would be great.

For a while there my dd would ask me once I started cleaning "who's coming over mom" LOL I thought that was funny.

CakeLady
03-22-2005, 11:25 AM
I need some serious motivation as well. My house is somewhat "surface clean" as I call it, but things need to be scrubbed and disinfected (ya know like the stovetop, microwave, etc).

I am having a friend come over this afternoon to play with DD so I get surprise DH with a cleaner house. Hopefully he will appreciate the surprise. :D

Mothering by Heart
03-22-2005, 06:51 PM
I actually have had a neighbor drop by when the house was spotless several times. She was incredulous, asking me how I did it all when I have 4 kids and she only has two. Then one time she came in and it was a disaster.She was so relieved. I am a real person, after all :lol Now I don't sweat it. O f course, my goal is to keep it unchaotic, but I don't feel too abd when it is.

ArmsOfLove
03-22-2005, 07:15 PM
:poke (I'm trying to motivate you :) )

TheJAngelsMom
03-23-2005, 07:51 AM
:roll

That reminds me of dh's motivation. LOL

phermion
03-23-2005, 10:09 AM
:poke (I'm trying to motivate you :) )

:laughtears

RealLifeMama
03-23-2005, 10:24 AM
I need a cleaning buddy, too!
I have so, so many days like that!
What is really, really depressing for me is that I do have company pretty regularly and it is either one of two ways- 1. they know me so ell that they just expect it to be horrendous so I don't bother to do much more than go for eliminating the "gross out" factor (you know, soggy cheerios in the kitchen chair from DS's breakfast, etc) 2. DH and I work together to get the house amazing looking, just that "Ho do you do it? " type amazing, and then the next day, it looks like scenario 1 again!
:banghead

I am so horrible. I really actually enjoy cleaning a lot but I am really bad at it. I love to spend an hour with a toothbrush making crevices sparkle, but I will still have crumbs and dishes piled up on the counter.

I say the best thing to do it pick one area to work on, then set a timer for 15 minutes and just do it, then come back here and tell us what you did. I know I will probably still be here, even though I am supposed to be at the laundromat!

tiglet
03-23-2005, 11:10 AM
My house is *always* a disaster! Having people over used to be motivation ...but now we just have them over when it's messy anyway (within limits - clutter messy = okay, dirty bathroom = not okay) :)
I just need more hours in the day! How am I and dh supposed to work, take care of our kid, feed everyone, sleep, play *and* keep the house clean?! It can't be done! Maybe when Bonnie is..um.... 24. :mrgreen

Miss Priss
03-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Invite people over! It works for us! LOL!! Our house is never cleaner than when we have an event here. I've had 2 wedding receptions for over 200 people each so EVERY room needed to be clean. On Friday morning, we're having a Good Friday breakfast for all of the pastors and families from our church (DH is a pastor - one of 9) so that will be 40+ people coming over! I'm spending time cleaning all week although I'm not cleaning every room - just the rooms that will be used.

We offered to have our new small group in our house every week for that very reason! It forces us to clean and to work throughout the week at it so that Monday isn't such a big production getting things done. It's been great.