PDA

View Full Version : It was instinctive to do it..

TheJAngelsMom
03-21-2005, 11:17 AM
There was an older child at the bottom of the slide when a younger one came down and then mine came down and was causing a pile up, I was afraid one might get hurt and when the older child was about to move away it looked like he was going to fall on the others so I picked him up and moved him.

Well then I got all scared thinking the parents of this child might be upset with me, for picking him up. I don't know if the parents saw or what but no-one approached me. I was the only parent standing around making sure noone was getting hurt. :( Why is that?

Isn't that awful too feel you can't help in fear of getting in trouble from parents. I have seen it happen so many times. Especially from those who were in a conversation with others and didn't see anything happened.

Do you find yourselves not helping in situations because the fear of the parents getting upset or turnning thier noses somehow.

It has never stopped me yet but I certainly have more reservations in it. :neutral

Happy Mom
03-21-2005, 11:32 AM
I know what you mean. I find myself saying to the kids "say to your friend, Please move so we dont get hurt." just loud enough for the other parents to hear. I feel so manipulative sometimes, but I'm afraid to address anyones child. :/

jghomeschooler
03-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Well, I guess I'm all mama bear, lol, cause I have absolutely NO problem approaching someone else's child, especially if they are NOT watching them anyway. But, I sit on a bench at the playground and crochet while my kids are running around playing. I am constantly glancing up to see where they are, and they don't wander away or misbehave usually. The only time ds has a problem is when there are other 3yo's on the playground, lol. They all want ds's toys, but don't want to play with him. He's VERY outgoing and it seems like all the other kids around here are just shy. I figure if someone doesn't want me to say something to their child, then they'll get up and do it themselves, lol. I did have an encounter with a very mean mother (who was on drugs) in an apt. complex once, her twin boys, (2yo) were really mean, and one of them was standing in front of dd's bike and holding the handle bars so she couldn't ride. I went over and told him to go away and leave her alone, I didn't want him following her or bothering her again. His mom was scary and yelling at me, but I just told her that she needed to keep her son away from my dd because he was not playing nicely with her and I was tired of telling him to stop. My friends dh came out and talked to her to get her to stop yelling at me, LOL. What an experience. I don't EVER want to live in a cheap apt. complex again, lol.
Jenn
ETA: NOT watching, sheesh, what a typo!

TheJAngelsMom
03-21-2005, 11:43 AM
Yikes :eek

Heather Micaela
03-21-2005, 12:59 PM
I would have moved the child to, and would have felt the same way.

I however had no problem directing other poeples kids if it is necessary, even to protect someone ELSES child.
TO the kid throwing sand (In my most cheerful voice) "uh oh, sand gat get in eyes. I know lets dig a big hole in the sand - how big can you make it?'
To the kid climbing the OUTSIDE of the structure"Wow thats hard to do, but maybe we better not do that now or the little kids might try it and get hurt"
:pray I just pray about my resposne before I do it and hope the parents intervene.

However we used to live by a park next to a jr high. That was thew worst! These 12 year old would hang outall over the play structure and not leave. :( And their talk was innapropraite. Andthe have no respect for adults so they don't care what you say when you nicely ask them to let thw little kids play and to please watch their mouth. :mad

BlessingsX4
03-21-2005, 01:32 PM
I would have done something similar and have to often. It bothers me that parents don't watch there children at playgrounds and such. But thats a while different vent.

ServingGod
03-21-2005, 01:48 PM
I never know what to do with other peoples children. My dh always does playground duty....he likes going there...I dont!

BeckaBlue
03-21-2005, 03:50 PM
sounds like i woulda done somethin like that too. only time i get upset is when im right there taking care of it. if 5yo dd was corrected at the playground (w/in reason of course) cuz i wasnt right there (which is often the case since im keeping up w/ 3yo and 19mo, but shes always visible to me or i drag both them to find her) it wouldnt be a problem

Tengokujin
03-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Maybe I am just lucky, but the moms that I am usually around are all watching their kids, but we all help each others' kids in situations like that. If you step in, you are modelling a great example for the moms, and may start a new trend :lol It MIGHT be received better than you expect??

Cindy
03-21-2005, 09:23 PM
You know what I am probably the UNDERprotective mom who usually feels the stares from mama bears who probably think I shouldn't be letting my kids do what they are doing... :O