PDA

View Full Version : considering cloth diapers, need information

arymanth
03-21-2005, 10:24 AM
I've never used cloth diapers, but I'm interested in finding out more about them. Can anyone point me to some good information on what I would need to get started? What 's the best kind of diaper to buy? how much more laundry does this make? (my husband is afraid I would not be able to keep up with the laundry if we used cloth diapers! LOL)

And what is EC????

Thanks in advance!

Stephanie

bunbunmama
03-21-2005, 01:13 PM
I'm fairly new to cloth diapering (CDing), too...we have been using them since mid-December. I'm a bit of a cheapskate, so I went with 3 dozen Chinese prefolds and 6 Proraps that are supposed to fit size 15-30 pounds. The whole package cost me around $100 (including S&H) from a store on Ebay, which I figure I have already made up in savings on disposables. I do wash Dd's diapers separately from all the other laundry (which my mother says is nuts)..but that's because I use a dry diaper pail. I wash every other day, so approximately 3 loads a week, but they're small loads, so they don't take much time to deal with. I also hang mine up to dry in a basement storage room with a dehumidifier because I found that they took a really long time to dry in the dryer.

For the diaper pail, I just bought a kitchen garbage can with a foot pedal (which I really don't use) at Wal-mart. When I first started using CDs I would use a kitchen garbage bag inside, then toss it in the garbage when I washed the diapers (I know, so wasteful! :blush). Then I bought 2 yards of material that seems to be similar to ripstop...I don't know exactly what it is, but it's waterproof, so it works!! I made diaper pail liners out of it that I just throw in the wash with the CDs. I just use the same detergent that I use on Dd's clothes, but I rinse twice. I also throw some white vinegar in the second rinse to get rid of the ammonia smell (some people say a half cup, but I never bother to measure). Never use chlorine bleach or commercial fabric softener on the CDs, as they will deteriorate or not absorb, respectively.

As for other types of diapers, someone else would be able to help more....I love the looks of all the fancy ones, but as I said, I'm a cheapskate! Here are some links that I found helpful...
http://www.thediaperhyena.com/index.php
http://punkinbutt.com/index.asp

EC stands for Elimination Communication....as far as I understand, it's a method of getting your child to use a toilet at a very early age. I think it requires you to read body signals and to teach your child to give you signals. I haven't really looked into this very much, so again, someone else will be of more help. Hope what I've written helps a little!! Have fun looking at cloth diapering stuff!!!!

Laura
03-21-2005, 01:16 PM
Best is a pretty relative term in cloth diapering because every baby is different, as is every family's needs. Fitteds are great for containing poos and absorbancy, but they can be pricey and take a while to dry. Chinese Prefolds are cheap, simple to wash, dry fast, and can be easy to use, but they tend to leak poo more, and have to be folded and pinned or snappied (which sonds worse than it is.) AIO's (All in Ones) are the easiest to use because they are most like 'sposies, but they are also more expensive and tend to wear out more quickly, and often take a long time to dry. We do a load of dipes every other day, so not too much extra. Plus, we like our dipes and kind of enjoy washing and folding them. I would check out www.greenmountaindiapers.com and www.diaperpin.com to get more info and learn more about the different types available. Oh, and ask if you have more questions.

doubleblessings
03-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Here is a link that describes EC http://www.timl.com/ipt/

ServantofGod
03-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Here's what I like for basic diapering:

DSQ (That stands for Diaper Service Quality) Prefold, newborn size, 2 or 3 dozen
Mediums, 2 dozen

You can buy Toddler size later, if you need to.

Bummis Super Whisper Wrap covers. Maybe 4 or 5 newborn and small size, 5-8 medium, because they wear these the longest.

You can use BSWW without pins, but I prefer it pinned on.

Nice, if you can get them, include:

A stash of Fuzzi Bunz to keep in the diaper bag (you can stuff them with the prefolds);
Cloth wipes, which can just be cheap Walmart washcloths or the "real" wipes sold by diaper sites;
stay-dry liners and/or doublers, very nice for overnight.

Get a diaper pail and one or two nylon liners.

bliss
03-24-2005, 07:33 PM
I decided early on to keep it simple. I had watched a baby who used prefolds folded in thirds and laid inside a prowrap (or similar style) cover. This seemed to be quick and easy to me, I had some all in ones when ds was a newborn and didn't like them (I think because they had no leg gussets and so everything ran out the sides - bf poop, anyone?) I have 2 dozen gerber DSQ prefolds (NOT the regular ones you can just find at WalMart, I found these at Toys R Us and you can get them online) and tons of prowrap covers (cuz I found a big box full at a yard sale for 49 cents a piece!) I use a dry pail, cold soak, hot wash, cold rinse, and every once in a while (usually if the dipes have sat a little too long) I'll do a second wash with no saop. Things I've learned: DON"T use too much soap. Way less than you think is enough is enough. GO EASY on adding stuff to the diaper pail. Tea Tree Oil, baking soda, all that stuff tends to build up and I personally ended up with stinky dipes. BOTTOM LINE: (pun intended) you can keep it simple. (read: cheap) Start with the basicvs and go on from there only if they're not working for you. I find they work for me just fine. Happy diapering!

ozmummy
03-27-2005, 12:41 AM
I just notice no one had really answered the extra amount of laundry. I have enough nappies that I can go 2 days before needing to wash, and then it's pretty much a full load, I have just incorporated it into my routine to put that load on before breakfast and hang it out after...now putting away that's a whole nother story lol!
It's really not that much extra, and the savings in money/environment more than compensate for the extra effort IMO....

Spyder
03-27-2005, 10:50 AM
Using cloth helped me get the rest of my laundry on track. I do diaper laundry every two days, 3 days if we sat on the potty for a few of the times. I plan the rest of my laundry around the diaper days, and I force myself to stay on top of everything!

The worst laundry for me to do is mine and Dh's clothes. For some reason it's hard to wash them and they take a long time to put away!

RosieTook
03-27-2005, 06:51 PM
It's really not that much extra, and the savings in money/environment more than compensate for the extra effort IMO....

Exactly what I think!!

I also second the Diaper Hyena site, it is pretty darn good and very informative!! :smile

KoalaMommy
03-30-2005, 07:35 PM
I got prefolds, fitteds and pockets. Wool covers, wrap covers and pull on pants.

What I like best:
day time: prefold with snapi in a bummies whisper wrap (the velcro kind)
Night time: wonderoo with wonder-full

I totally disagree about prefolds not containing poo. So far they provide the best poo containment for us when securely fastened with a snapi using the method of folding the front part into thirds and not folding that back (so it kind of forms wings) along with a wishper wrap that securely fits around the legs.

I do maybe 2 extra loads of laundry a week for diapers. Sometimes only 1. I put a few drops of lavendar or tea tree oil in the bottom of my diaper pail (just a regular plastic trash can with a lid) and it keeps away and stinkiness.