PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe I saw this...

AprilBr
03-21-2005, 06:49 AM
Let me first say that I love my homebirth midwife to death! She is wonderful, kind and loving. When we were at her house for an appointment I was looking at her lending library. It contained...Babywise... :( I never in a million years thought she would have that book in her home! She is pro-breastfeeding and has even tandem nursed herself...so seeing that book kind of blew me away. I didn't say anything about it. Looking how she is with her own family (her office is in her home and we have met her family) you would not think she likes Ezzo. It disappointed me but I still love her. :) Should have I said something?

Sandy
03-21-2005, 07:00 AM
I think I'd ask her about it. I'd be surprised if she didn't know anything about the program...but you never know. Maybe one of her clients brought it to her and she just stuck it on the shelf.

If it turns out that she's a supporter, I'd bring her some information...pleasantly... :)

I can't imagine a midwife supporting Ezzo. Let us know what happens!

Katigre
03-21-2005, 09:04 AM
I wouldn't prejudge her based on that. I have a number of books in my personal library that i don't support at all--but i keep them as 'original sources' when i am in discussions with people about them. Babywise I & II are among those books. I'd ask her why she has them in her library and see what her answer is.

arymanth
03-21-2005, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't prejudge her based on that. I have a number of books in my personal library that i don't support at all--but i keep them as 'original sources' when i am in discussions with people about them. Babywise I & II are among those books. I'd ask her why she has them in her library and see what her answer is.

I agree! I have "Growing Kids God's Way" and I think I still have some Gothard books in my library, so that when I talk to people who are following these teachings, I can honestly say that I am familiar with the materials, and can even take them to specific pages that deal with whatever we are discussing. That way they can't say "you haven't even read the book".

You never know until you ask!

Stephanie

kris10s
03-21-2005, 09:19 AM
I have a wide variety of books myself, but the OP mentioned this was a lending library (for clients). I certainly wouldn't put Babywise in a lending library as a childbirth educator, doula or midwife.

MarynMunchkins
03-21-2005, 10:15 AM
I'd ask her about it. It seems awfully strange that she'd be gung-ho about bfing and still support Ezzo. Which edition was it? :/

schoolofmom
03-21-2005, 10:54 AM
My first midwife loved the Pearls. :( I didn't know much about parenting "programs" at the time so I just listened to her and shrugged it off afterwards. Of course, she also had Dr. Sears' books so that was a good balance!

erinee
03-21-2005, 11:00 AM

That's what I was going to say. Maybe she's doing some research because she has clients that are planning on using it.

TulipMama
03-21-2005, 01:46 PM
There *are* some midwives who like Babywise.

(And one of the things that "recommended" one of my midwives, was I saw Prep in her back-up doctor's office--though I'm sure she wasn't an Ezzo supporter. . .)

It *does* happen. . . Though I don't know how!

Iarwain
03-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Well I know one of the homebirth midwives around here has the book... In order to warn people away from it. There is currently a copy circulating through our local natural childbirth group. Why? Because one person had a copy and everyone wants to read it to be prepared to refute it and no one wants to put any more money in Gary Ezzo's pocket. So it is in "high demand" as a loaner book.

Peepsqueak
03-21-2005, 01:55 PM
I would ask her in curiousity. I have many books on things I do not believe in....some of them would shock people...i.e. voodo books, books on communism, etc. That does not mean I condone these things. In order for me to speak against something, I read about it first....perhaps this is what she has this book for. I cannot criticize Ezzo yet, because I have not read his material. I only know what this board says. However, I had all kinds of literature that the Pearls gave out or sold at the homeschooling conventions.....you would swear I was a Pearl advocate. However, there is so much material I wanted to be well read on it at least. Hopefully that is the case with your midwife. Ask her...I am curious myself. :think

AprilBr
03-21-2005, 01:59 PM
I am judging her at all, I am just really surprised it was there. It kind of confused me. I love her a lot and she is a wonderful person. She is VERY gentle and nothing in my homebirth planner is ezzoish. There is a big section on breastfeeding.

CelticJourney
03-21-2005, 07:17 PM
I'd ask - if for no other reason as to clarify for you where she stands on the issue. When I get some extra money, I plan to purchase the religions materials second-hand so that I can verfiy and build on my Ezzo-quote page.

I was disturbed to see Tripp being taught at our church and got up the nerve to speak to the children's minister about it. She and I work together a lot and we had discussed my concerns before, so I was sad to see it being taught a second time. Turns out she was upset about it too. The teachers had gone through a different department to get to teach it and she was not able to veto it. One way or the other, I needed to know where she stood, thankfully she stood with me!

Elizabeth

ChristmasGirl
03-21-2005, 10:59 PM
well, don't look at my bookshelf :read I have one, I originally bought it before I switched to GBD, but i kept it around for reference. You never know...

I think we need a book out there called "Ezzo Wise" :doh