PDA

View Full Version : Calvert

ServingGod
03-21-2005, 06:44 AM
Does anyone here use Calvert??? I know its not exactly unschooling. :shifty Dh and I were discussing what curriculum we are going to go with and this seems to be our final decision. I always envisioned myself tailoring our curriculum myself...but Im not ready to do that. I know I would get off track or skip days...and then weeks...etc. :rolleyes I need something to keep me on track...and this is so laid out.

Quietspirit
03-21-2005, 07:49 AM
I've not used it but did look into it. It is supposed to be a really great program if you are looking for structure and accountability. Sounds like it might be a great match for you right now! :tu

Sara
03-21-2005, 10:01 AM
We used Calvert when dd was 4 (preK). It was way too schoolish for us, but I think that is partially because, if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't be starting "school" so early. If you are okay with using textbooks and a more schoolish approach, I think it can be a great program. If you're just wanting the structure, though, and not necessarily wanting to use textbooks, perhaps something like Sonlight would be work.

What grade level are you looking at?

Miss Priss
03-21-2005, 10:49 AM
We used Calvert last year and this year. It was not a success last year with my ADHD daughter. We're using just the reading and math this year for my 2nd daughter (1st grade), and she loves it! We're doing Sonlight history and science, though, bc my oldest are only a grade apart and it's just too hard to separate all their academics. I will say that in both of my girls, the Calvert 1st grade program was instrumental in them getting over the hump with learning to read. My oldest is now reading on a 7th grade level (she's 7) and the 2nd reading on about a 3rd-4th grade level (she's 6).