PDA

View Full Version : Had to put our puppy down this weekend

TestifyToLove
03-20-2005, 11:11 PM
We had to put our 6 month old puppy down on Saturday. Pardon the language, but it really SUCKED.

He was a sweet and wonderful dog...except he would snap, usually out of the blue, and start attacking people. He was partial to the children. We realized he had this issue a week after we brought him home, and we worked for 4 months with him, with a animal behavioralist and doing everything we could do.

Thursday night, he vicious attempted to attack Dh, who was only unharmed because he wedged the dog between kitchen chairs and forced him out the back door into the yard. I realized then that if it had been one of the children, they would have been in the hospital.

I thought the puppy would do well if he was put into an adult home with a very alpha personality and no children.

Turns out, NO ONE would take him. I spent all day Saturday trying to find any option for him other than the route we took. 6 no-kill shelters all refused to take him and told me to have him put down. The Humane Society refused to take him (didn't know they could refuse), told me to have him put down. The animal trainers I called said maybe they could work with him IF we put him on SRIs, but he would likely always be a danger to the children and they recommended we put him down as well.

Saturday, I took the children to soccer games and DH took the puppy to the vet. The vet said what he had was cascading agression, and that apparently its not genetic nor environmental its simply hard-wired into the dog. Said he sees a dog with this about every 500-1000 dogs he treats. Said if DH were a single man he would have tried the SRIs but they rarely work for this particular issue, and with children in the house he wouldn't consider it an option, nor would he risk his professional status for the risk to the kids.

He did say that we did do everything possible and there is nothing to be done about this issue. He was also surprised that we worked with the puppy for 4 months rather than putting him down immediately.

I feel absolutely miserable. We got this puppy after our last dog was hit by a drunk driver. He was supposed to be part of the family. And, I can't believe at 6 months, there was nothing left for him. I've never had to this before and I'm still absolutely heartbroken. I thought for sure I could find another option for him and was shocked not one person recommended any other course of action than this.

Someday, we'll get another dog. I've had dogs my entire life, and I want my children to have dogs as well. But, I don't know when that day will come. I'm not willing to even think about it right now.

I've realized this weekend that sometimes it REALLY bites to have to be the grown-up. And, after always swearing I would NEVER lie to my kids, I actually lied this time. We told the kids that we took him to the vet so that the vet could find him a better home. I can't grasp nor understand this. I don't know how to explain to the children that their puppy had to be put to sleep.

BluegrassMama
03-21-2005, 06:54 AM
TTL, I can't think of one other thing you could have tried :( . I'm so, so sorry.

icesmom3
03-21-2005, 10:16 AM
TTL I can so relate! Dh and I had our dog put down on Thur due to similiar issues.....it really rots being the adult sometimes. I still question if it was the right thing to do for our family, but that is when my heart takes over and I am not thinking logically.......
We also told our boys that we found a different home for our dog......
I am sorry you are going thru this :(

BearyBlessed
03-21-2005, 12:32 PM
:hugs
I'm so sorry that you have to go through that. :cry

Peepsqueak
03-21-2005, 02:07 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. I had a dog like that once. He was a German Shepherd that was aggressive at 9 monthes of age. We kept this dog for a year and he was dangerous, and my mother was pregnant with a new baby so there was no way this dog would have been safe. We gave him to the police department. (I think they would need a more stable animal though....)
Anyway, you did the right thing for your family. There is no room for dangerous animals around children at all. I have a dog who was very rambunctious as a puppy, not aggressive, but the bugger had sharp teeth. I had to literally separate him from children at all times. He could have hurt them. Also, he would stand over them too (he was bigger than them) and that is dominance. You never want dominance over your children...he treated them like his litter mates. Anyway, I had to supervise this dog constantly until he got older and trained, and the children got older. What a pain....anyway, this dog worked out, but if I did not have the ability to do this, he would have to be given up.

It sounds like your dog had a medical problem or a brain disorder. Very unfortunate. I would screen the next dog carefully. Hugs to you and your family. I know how hard this can be.

:hug

mamame
03-21-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm so sorry! That does stink. We also had a dog that was just bad from puppyhood and he also had to be put down. :hug

This Busy Mom
03-21-2005, 02:58 PM
Well, that does suck, and I know how you are feeling.

I put down an aggressive dog once, too. I loved her, and it was hard to do.

musicmama
03-21-2005, 03:11 PM
I am so so sorry :( :hug

CelticJourney
03-21-2005, 08:22 PM
I'm there with you. The dog we had to put down stated agressive behavior when I was pregnant and it kept excalating. It was usually focused on the omega dog of the four, but it was getting totally out of hand by the time dd1 was 6months. It just occured to me that I only have one left of our original four - now I am really sad.

Sorry for you and especially for your little ones. :cry

Elizabeth

TestifyToLove
03-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Thanks all.

I think it would have been far easier to have made this decision on an adult dog. But, this one was only 6 months old. It was definitely hard-wired into his brain. And, there was NOTHING I could have done differently to screen him when we got him either. He was always FINE until he had an episode where he snapped, and we saw the first of those episodes when he'd been home just a week. He was 2 months old when he first snapped at dd's face without provocation. And, really , his sweetness in between the episodes made it even harder to make the decision (probably why we worked with him for 4 months too). When he wasn't snapping, he was the sweetest, most loving puppy. But, man when he was triggered was he dangerous (50 lb at 6 months, he was huge).

Dh and I have talked. After 2 very hard loses on dogs recently (our beagle was hit by a drunk driver when the 2 year old let her run out the front door last fall, he was supposed to be a new dog after losing her), we're going to take a long break. The vet highly recommended we NOT adopt an older dog when we get another dog (though he was very insistent that we should not let this stop us from getting another dog as it was definitely NOT our fault). But, he said the children will be traumatized by this experience and will like freak if we try to introduce an adult dog.

So, we're going to wait a year, until the new little one gets home. Then, we'll search for a reputable breeder and get a puppy bred for good temperment for the kids. It will be more expensive that way. But, the vet felt the children would be less scared and hesitant with a little puppy than an adult dog. He also felt they will likely need a smaller dog (like another beagle) at first. By the time we put the pup down, they would cry when they saw him. As much as they adored him, they knew he would hurt them without warning.

Until the vet talked with Dh, I had NO idea that such a thing as Cascading agression even existed. And, frankly, I hope to NEVER see it again. Vet said he's got 3 dogs right now that he's treating with SRIs for it, but all are in adult-only households and the SRIs only work *some*. He wouldn't even try any other option with children in the house. So, we were absolutely let with no other choice. I just thought *someone* would give a puppy a chance to live. Boy was I wrong.

rosesnsnails
03-21-2005, 09:09 PM
:hug I am so sorry your family is going through this. I would console myself with the thought that at least while he was here on Earth, he was loved and cared for. :(

BlessingsX4
03-21-2005, 10:52 PM
I'm so sorry!! :hug

ranade3
03-22-2005, 07:45 AM
I am sooooo sorry :cry I already emailed you before I saw this (obviously). We too had to put down an aggressive dog and we waited too long. Our dog bit my 12 year old step-son on the head of his penis and he had to get stitches, it was so awful. That dog had been like a baby to me but I knew he had aggression problems with other people just out of the blue like that. I had taken him to 3 dog obedience classes but it didn't help. It was one of the most awful experiences of my life and I am so sorry you are having to go through this right now.

Sanveann
03-24-2005, 09:24 PM
:grouphug

I'm so sorry, sweetie! I think you did the right thing ... for a 6-month-old puppy to be showing that level of aggression is very worrisome.

Lillyma
03-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Oh, I feel so bad. (((Hugs))) What a hard decision to make.