PDA

View Full Version : Car seat question/new car

GodisGood
03-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Ok so we currently have a Yukon that can fit three car seats in the back, dh and myself, and then that's it. We want to purchase a car that can accomodate two more passengers. So we've narrowed it down to (hold onto your hats) a Suburban/Denali XL or a Honda Odyssey.

So if we go with the Suburban/Denali XL we think we can fit the following in the middle seat, 2 Britax Wizards and 1 Roundabout rear facing. The wizzards would be on either side of the roundabout. Think these monstrous carseats will fit like this in a Suburban/Denali XL?

If we go with the Odyssey, we will have the Roundabout and Wizard in the middle and then the other Wizard in the back.

Thoughts?

Miss Priss
03-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Well, I don't have on Odyssey, we have a Grand Caravan. But I know it's pretty roomy, and I can't get three carseats across the back. I can't get even two boosters and a carseat across the back.
We want a Suburban for that reason.
Our older two are starting to want to be able to take friends places, and we don't have room. We also have neices and nephews here and wish we could just go get them sometimes.

GodisGood
03-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Well, I don't have on Odyssey, we have a Grand Caravan. But I know it's pretty roomy, and I can't get three carseats across the back.

I should have said middle seat on the suburban/denali xl! :doh I corrected that!

fourbygrace
03-20-2005, 10:12 PM
Hi,

I think you can fit these car seats in the middle seat of the Suburban. We did it it with different brands of car seats and it worked. We did, however, have the issue of our 2 year old poking her baby brother in the eyes, nose, mouth etc. while I was driving. It was also hard to get the child in the middle out of their seat.

All this to say, we traded our Suburban in for a minivan. It is SO much more convenient to get the children in and out of the car with a full back seat and two "captain's chairs" in the middle row. We had two seats in the back and one in the captain's seat behind the driver.

Here are my personal reasons: I don't like sticking my bottom out into the parking lot while trying to buckle the children into their seats, :blush also when it is raining or snowing, I can get in, shut the doors, get everyone buckled up and climb back into the driver's seat without even getting back out of the car because there is an "aisle". It is also easier for my children to get into the van because it is lower to the ground.

That is just IMHO.

Blessings,
Mary

BlessingsX4
03-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Having just traded in my beloved suburban I can honestly say my Sienna is wonderful. With my suburban I could not fit three carseats in the third row but could easily do it in the middle row. Three large adults fit fine across the middle seat also.
With my new Sienna I do like that the kids can easily get in and out of the van, also the gas prices have been hurting our budget and the van has made a huge difference. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Lady TS
03-21-2005, 02:04 PM
I don't know whether your seats will fit across the second row or not. You'll have to try it. It totally depends on the seats you have. I know our Britax Husky is HUGE and because of that we couldn't fit 3 across our (I thought) roomy back seat. :(

Another thought. If the three seats fit in the middle seat, how will people get to the back seat? I would probably put one of the booster seats in the back so that you can easily flip one of the seats down and allow entrance to the back.

I grew up in my Jr.Hi/High school years with a Suburban and 4 younger siblings, so I know tanks--er, Suburbans--are very roomy. :) We were considering getting one a month or so ago but ended up with a Ford Windstar, which is very nice with the bucket seats in the middle row and bench seat in the back.

GodisGood
03-21-2005, 02:23 PM
This has been our challenge is how to get people into the back. I'm almost thinking about getting the one with the "cockpit" type seats in the middle. The two youngest would be in the middle and my oldest would have easy access to the back plus two more people could sit back there. Or since both wizzards have latch we could easily remove one, fold down the seat, let people in, and then re install the seat. Getting out again would be tricky though. We just love the way the those cars drive and my husband doesn't feel imasculated driving one. :lol But we're still leaning hard and heavy towards the Odyssey.

Can't thank you all enoughtfor the input!

Allison
03-21-2005, 03:25 PM
I don't know enough about the other car you're considering, but I would LOVE an Odyssey! I think they are great and they are among the safest minivans with the best gas mileage!

expatmom
03-21-2005, 03:30 PM
We have an Odyssey & absolutely love it. Ours has 6 seats with 2 captains chairs in the middle row & then 2 seats in the back. For now it is enough. I can see with more kids plus friends that we may eventually want a 7 seat vehicle. I'd vote for the Odyssey!

SPKarenO
03-21-2005, 03:51 PM
If I was you...I'd send DH to the dealership (or maybe I'd leave him at home and go myself instead) with the carseats and put em in and try it.

GodisGood
03-21-2005, 04:32 PM
If I was you...I'd send DH to the dealership (or maybe I'd leave him at home and go myself instead) with the carseats and put em in and try it.

That's an idea! I'll let him do it considering I'm 2 weeks away from my due date! :lol

GodisGood
03-21-2005, 05:15 PM
Another reason why I don't want to give up on a GMC/Chevrolet is OnStar!

Radosny Matka
03-21-2005, 06:25 PM
Some SUV's do not allow carseats in the middle position. That's something you would want to check out on the Suburban.

GodisGood
03-21-2005, 06:26 PM
I could with my Tahoe and I can with the Yukon. Shouldn't be an issue with the Suburban/Denali