PDA

View Full Version : How do you get/stay motivated?

ChristmasGirl
03-20-2005, 03:32 PM
I am nowhere *near* being a joyous homekeeper right now. And i'm not sure how to get there. Awhile back all of the minimalist pics inspired me, and my house was spotless for about a week...then life happened, lol.

I don't have a great attitude about doing housework and need a fresh outlook to inspire me. I don't have any methods in place as far as schedules for housework, but that's because i'm not real big on schedules. i tried FlyLady but all of her emails felt like just another task. Somehow i've gotten to the point where I avoid "tasks" until i can't get around it anymore...like there's more dirty dishes than clean dishes :blush

Any great words of wisdom for getting on the right track again? I feel more like a "lazysusan" than a "susiehomemaker" right now :O

Mothering by Heart
03-20-2005, 04:52 PM
I am right there with you. Sometimes I wonder "Why am I a moderator in Joyous Homekeeping?" :/ Other times, I feel so domestic and I just want to create a lovely place where my family can enjoy themselves, and feel unfettered.

The latter thoughts, I have noticed, are when I am drinking my water, getting my sleep, eating right, avoiding, junk, etc. Those are the times when I feel in my heart that this is truly my calling and darn it, I am going to do my best at it.

When I'm on, I'm on, and when I'm not, well...

ChristmasGirl
03-20-2005, 05:57 PM
good point about taking care of yourself...i haven't really been doing a good job of that lately :shifty
When I'm on, I'm on, and when I'm not, well...
I'm either driving the wagon at break-neck speed :car, or laying in the dust back behind the wagon

Krystyne
03-20-2005, 07:29 PM
I am able to be up and about cleaning etc. so I am now letting things go more. It must be bad...my DH is noticing how dirty things are though the house is not messy.

I need motivation in life in general and I concur, when i take care of myself...I want to take care of things. Right now I am excited to clean my new townhouse that will be built in Novemeber, so letting things slide does not bother me much, lol.

MamaJayne
03-20-2005, 08:35 PM
I find that when I let things slide, I'm not using enough structure. I need to follow a schedule without times in order to be successful. For example, I have to empty the dishwasher right after breakfast and put the newly dirtied dishes in there or it's just not going to happen that day, because I get all off track. then, the next thing I'll know I'll not only have breakfast and lunch dishes in the sink, but I'll not have swept the floors (because that happens after dishwasher) or done a load of laundry (because that comes after sweeping).

jghomeschooler
03-20-2005, 08:45 PM
I get inspired after readin Laine's Letters http://www.lainesletters.com/letters.html Reading her letter's changes my perspective and gives me a mental boost to get going. hahaha, I guess I need to go read some of them again, :blush
Jenn

Miss Priss
03-20-2005, 09:08 PM
I have a major problem right now with this too. With me, it's a spiritual issue. I'm just not feeling much like being anyone's servant right now. :neutral
I stay the most motivated when I keep before me daily, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." Col3: 23-24

fourbygrace
03-21-2005, 04:54 PM
I would second the recommendation for Laine's Letters. She loves the Lord so much and that is her motivation for her homekeeping. I have printed out all of her archived letters and recent ones and keep them in a notebook. I should start reading them again, as I am not feeling all that motivated lately either.

Blessings,
Mary

Tengokujin
03-27-2005, 08:44 PM
Um, I get motivated by inviting someone over to my house on a regular basis. Sad but true, I need the extra boost of an outsider to keep maintaining or digging out the dirt.

My motivator for cooking is this. Every few weeks I go through cookbooks, etc. and make lists of things I would like to cook. I DO NOT plan menus ahead!!! I then use my idea list to have a general shopping/cooking plan for several days at a time. I have found that it helps me get through that "oh no what's for dinner" problem,when you can't think of a thing to cook. I can look at my list and see an idea that makes me excited to cook. The list isn't all new recipes--it is whatever hits me that I think looks good. I feel like it gives me a general plan without a straitjacket of a menu.

I keep a menu history instead. I record what I cooked :D. gives me a sense of accomplishment.

catholicapmom
03-28-2005, 06:30 AM
I don't need motivation to cook, probably because I love to do it and my family loves it. I DO need motivation, though, for cleaning. It just feels sometimes like it's a thankless job and I just can't muster the energy, yk? I'll have to read Laine's letters, I guess. :)

greenemama
03-28-2005, 06:35 AM
springtime is getting me motivated! i just want to dejunk the house!

and having a crawler who gets into EVERYTHING has been a motivator lately.

and magazines with lots of clean rooms make me want to clean, too.,

HGTV? :cool

Allison
03-29-2005, 06:53 AM
I think the only reason that I love housework is because I have to be doing something all the time. I have trouble if I don't have a routine or don't have certain tasks that I MUST accomplish. I don't plan on being a sahm after my kids are in school. I'm just not cut out for it. I want career and I will have a housekeeper because I don't plan on doing much housework once I"m a working mom.
For now I found that just the drive to do something is my biggest motivator. keeping my house company ready is important to me. I have lots of books on cleaning and organising and decorating and I can't relax in my house until it's all clean. Oh, and like Mollie mentioned,I LOVE HGTV! LOL

ServingGod
03-29-2005, 07:59 AM
I cant stay motivated either. With the chaos that 3 dc under 4 brings...plus a dh that works a different schedule each day...I just have a hard time staying on top of it. I wish I couldnt relax till everthing was clean. Im able to just not see clutter....then when someone stops over I REALLY see it! :wow

Reva
03-30-2005, 05:31 AM
As someone else mentioned, having unexpected company usually helps me to a certain extent. MIL comes over at least once a week w/o calling, and I never know which day it will be so I try to keep things clean. (her not calling is a huge sorespot for me!) I'm glad someone posted the Laine's Letters site-I went there yesterday and got motivated a bit! Plus I stay motivated b/c I just want things to look nice. I can't stand clutter so that helps too.

scottishthistle
03-30-2005, 08:40 AM
I ask myself if I could welcome Jesus into my house in its present state