PDA

View Full Version : Eye problems? Dyslexia?

Mama Bird
03-20-2005, 08:25 AM
My daughter has just learned to read pretty well. She's always mixed up b and d, but is getting better. Lately, though, she has had a lot of trouble with her reading. She makes the sound of the last letter of the word first, or jumbles all the letters and sounds. She often makes sounds that aren't even in the word. We are going to have her eyes tested as soon as we can get an appointment. Glasses wouldn't suprise me at all...DH and I both have them and have since childhood. I'm just really concerned about this. If she does have some sort of learning problem like dyslexia, I feel confident that I can learn about the best ways to teach her. But that'll just stick my MIL and my grandma to my back even harder. Ish! Does anyone know what to look for as far as dyslexia? Can she be tested for it by someone other than the school system? I just don't want to deal with them pressuring me to let them teach her.

Sara
03-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Haley, I am on my way to church, so I don't have time to look this up, but I know I have read somewhere that when kids aren't pressured to read i.e. in a school setting, that dyslexia is almost unheard of and that kids will stop jumbling the letters in their own time. Now I can't remember if I read that online or in a book, but I will look later this afternoon to see if I can find the information again.

How is is your dd again? Have her eyes ever been tested? I do think that is a good place to start!

Mama Bird
03-20-2005, 10:24 AM
She's 6. She's always enjoyed reading...and you may have a point. She reads "The Foot Book" by Dr. Seuss every night to her little brother, but she has it memorized by this point, so she isn't really reading it. We'll have her eyes checked, and maybe relax a bit about reading. I think we'll try reading in different venues. Maybe on the sofa, outside on a pretty day, sprawled out on a bed, and in her "cozy little reading spot!" I look forward to reading that research you referred to. Very interesting!

jennifer2boys
03-20-2005, 10:41 AM
I wouldn't worry about it at 6. (I know easier said then done) I think what you describe is pretty normal at that age. I don't think they will even test a child for dyslexia until they are around 3rd grade. At least that is what my friend's school said about her son.

Mama Bird
03-20-2005, 10:46 AM
3rd grade? Wow, that seems late to me. If she really does have some sort of reading problem, I'd rather educate myself about it now and help her to learn to read better now, instead of having her get more frustrated in her schoolwork.

I won't worry about it, though, until after her eye exam. :think

icesmom3
03-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Isaac did this alot when he was leaning to read now Caleb does it(he is 6 too) and I just point to the beginning of the word and say "start with this sound" .....I believe it is totally normal for that age!! :think

My good friend Jen had her dd tested for dyslexia thru her eye dr.....

hth :)

Sara
03-20-2005, 06:02 PM
Haley,

I found what I was looking for on dyslexia in one of my HS books, but I don't have time to type it out right now. If I forget, please remind me tomorrow!

jennifer2boys
03-20-2005, 06:12 PM
3rd grade? Wow, that seems late to me.

I agree. I have heard this from my friend and several other about the school system evaluating them. I think maybe part of the reason is because many children do some of the things that are common in dyslexia at an early age, but don't actually have it and out grow switching letters around and such. I could be wrong though.