PDA

View Full Version : Ugh! Gerbils!!

Wholly Mama
03-20-2005, 12:39 AM
My oldest got this silly gerbil from my parents for his birthday last november. His name is Chewmonkee (Chewy), and he is so annoying!! He is out of his cage more often than in, due to little boys wanting to take him out to pet, or opening his cage to give him something. We have a free-range gerbil who is chewing on everything in site!! A couple months ago he was hiding out in our closet and a lot of our clothes and shoes were chewed as a result. He's been eating through my childbirth books that are part of my lending library, and he hides in the cupboard that holds our boardgames and chews through the boxes. He also likes to hide behind our refrigerator, probably doing all sorts of damage!! We've found chewed through electrical cords! The more he gets out, the faster he becomes and harder to get. He escaped from the house last month. We thought he was a goner for sure as we have neighborhood cats that come into our backyard at night. We accepted that he was gone (gave a sigh of relief!), and set to going on with life. Then, a week later, dh was bringing in some stuff from behind our backyard fence at dusk and sees Chewy, right beside his foot - ALIVE!! He was so scared and wet and cold and shivering. He went right into dh's hand. We felt so bad for him and took good care of him then and said, wow, we have to keep him now, look what he's been through!! But as I sit typing this, he keeps running out from behind the entertainment center, stops, watches me and then darts away. *sigh* I don't want to waste anymore hours chasing this silly gerbil!!! I leave all the doors open throughout the day, and he refuses to escape now!!!

Lady TS
03-20-2005, 05:48 PM
Ok, I had to chuckle at your post, but I know your frustration.

If you're looking for advice, I'd see if you could lure him into his cage and then padlock the cage so the kids don't let him loose. :) I don't know what kind of cage you have so don't know whether this would even work, but it's what I'd do.

Or, if he won't go into his cage, you could fenagle a trap like this: Get a 5 gallon bucket and put a stick or slender board across it. Cut both ends off of a can and slide it over the stick/board to hang over the middle of the bucket. Put a dab of peanut butter on the center of the can. He (should) crawl up on the stick and to the pb and then slip off the can and into the bucket.....I've heard of this for catching mice, but not neccessarily for gerbils, so no guarantees..

Or....go to Walmart and get a live mouse trap.

:hug Hope you figure out something soon, for your sanity's sake. :)

Charity
03-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Oh my, your post had me chuckling too. I think your best bet is to put some limits on the kids as to when they can open the cage. Maybe only mom can open the cage, and that way you can supervise and make sure the top gets closed everytime.

booboo
03-30-2005, 08:11 PM
I agree with Charity about setting limits. If you have to, find a place to put the cage out of their reach. Before you :eek another thing is put something heavy on the lid. A book, or brick or something.

And have a heart to heart talk with your parents about giving your kids pets as gifts! A pet should be a personal decision within the members of your household not grandparents, etc. unless they've talked to you about it first.

Sanveann
03-31-2005, 06:21 PM
I agree -- sounds like the kids need some very strict rules about when Chewy's cage can be opened, and some sort of disciplinary measures when he's allowed to get loose.

tree_hugger
04-01-2005, 12:44 AM
What exactly is a gerbil? Is it a cross between a mouse and gineau pig? A rat and a rabbit? A ferret and a ....?

Sanveann
04-01-2005, 06:04 AM
They're sort of mouselike.

http://posty.net/williebobd/i/gerbil.jpg

booboo
04-01-2005, 06:06 AM
Ooh, so cute! I showed my kids the picture! :heart

greenemama
04-01-2005, 06:40 AM
yuk!

i had the unfortunate experience once of watching my little brother watch the gerbils mating -- the girl was pushed up against the glass and the boy was frantic and horrible. :sick "what is he DOING TO HER!" my brother exclaimed. :eek

i sent him upstairs to ask my dad.

i think they got out of their cage somehow and were eaten by the cat. :/