PDA

View Full Version : who is vegetarian here?

flowermama
03-19-2005, 11:16 PM
I was just wondering if there are very many vegetarians here.

If you are, will you please share what kind of vegetarian you are, how long you have been one, and why? Or also please feel free to post if you are considering it or are a part-time veggie. :)

greenemama
03-20-2005, 05:23 AM
i'm a backslidden veggie trying to go back. it's hard because i think it's a lot more work to be vegetarian. :cookie

Punkie
03-20-2005, 08:15 AM
I have gone back and forth a bazillion times. I think the non-conformist part of me enjoys it the most.. Of course, the nutritional and animal-cruelty benefits are great too, LOL.

My toughest issue is that when I'm vegetarian, I usually have to make at least 2 different meals each night. I say AT LEAST 2, because although my dd will eat anything, my ds seems to be going through a picky 3-year-old phase :P My dh is a bit odd in that he hates preparing meat and only likes meat that he can't identify what part it came from (so chicken legs are out!), but he is equally grossed out by any of the fake meats. Even when he eats meat, he picks all around it and only eats part of it, but he refuses to go vegetarian :banghead He is happy enough with ovo-lacto meals that don't have any fake meats in them (like baked ziti), but nothing exotic. He also doesn't eat mushrooms or onions, so that makes it really hard :hissyfit I was a vegetarian before we were together and while we were dating, although I jumped the fence a few times because I ended up moving home with my parents before Joe and I got married, and at the time my parents were crazy meat eaters.

My last stint with vegetarianism (ovo veg - since my ds is allergic to milk, its a weird kind of vegetarian to be) ended when I started keeping a food journal and found that a big trigger for my migraines was lack of protein at a meal. At the time, I was still spooked out by all of the soy controversy, so I just started eating organic meats (that's what my family was eating already). Ironically, I think I actually get more protein when I've veg, because I think about my nutrition a lot more, and when I go back to eating meat, I hate it, but I keep going back...

I've really been researching a more raw diet recently, although I think that the way I'd implement it is by eating more raw foods but probably still mixed 50/50 with cooked foods. I've been making a lot more smoothies and snacking on fruits and veggies, although I just found out that a veggie dip that I was using had MSG in it and suffered with a terrible migraine for days as a result....

My MIL was a CRAZY meat eater when I met her. She cooked the least healthy food I've ever seen (which is, of course, what my dh is now naturally drawn towards). A few years ago, she made a radical change and went on the Hallelujah diet, and has yo-yo dieted since then. She was recently diagnosed with cancer (a week later, my mom was diagnosed too) and my MIL flew out here to Colorado Springs to go to HealthQuarters (http://healthquarters.org/) which teaches an 80/20 raw foods diet. I don't think she's doing very well sticking to it, but during this time, I've gotten to do a whole lot of research which I think will be beneficial to me in the long term.

sadie
03-20-2005, 01:32 PM
I am pretty much a vegetarian, although I eat chicken every few weeks and red meat about once a month. I am just having a tough time giving it up all the way :blush

bex
03-21-2005, 08:51 AM
I would say mostly veg here. we eat tuna once every couple weeks since we have very little that we can buy. dh is totally supportive of being veg for health reasons. he does eat meat sometimes when we eat out. it's considered rude here to not serve meat if you have guests so i do occasionally buy meat. bought yak a couple weeks ago. they used a dirty knife and carved it off the carcass that was laying there with the huge head right next to it. :sick i remembered why it had been ten months since i bought meat. :sick :sick :sick

Desert Rose
03-21-2005, 01:30 PM
I have been a vegetarian for about 5 months now. It's funny..I thought it would be hard for me, but the idea of eating meat now, actually grosses me out. To think that's it's dead animal flesh! :sick
I have several reasons for going veg.

Compassion for animals
Health issues
The environment

The catalyst for all this actually started about the time dh brought home some calves to raise for meat. Some of you might remember their story from the other board. It was so sad (newborn dairy cows meant to be killed at birth for being male). Also, I read a lot about the food industry that really grossed me out. I have since read a lot of veg books and am learning how to do this right!

I have gotten so much ridicule from some of my family on this (but what's new)! I am set in my ways thought! No going back.

FTR: I never eat meat, don't drink milk (though I use some dairy), and I avoid as many dead animal products as I can (like gelatin).

BTW, veganism intrigues me, but I don't think I can do it just yet; I love yogurt and cheese. Maybe in the future.

Leslie
03-21-2005, 01:50 PM
I'm like Amanda, I guess--trying to eat a more raw diet, but I haven't totally committed to veganism yet. I've been going back and forth between vegan/fish for five years. I've read enough to make me unsure if 100 percent vegan is the best idea. It might be, but the beyondveg.com website has put a smidgen of doubt in my mind. So I'm thinking that I might have fish or chicken once in a while when I go out. Just to play it safe.

My family has eggs and chicken and yogurt (organic) once a week. And they order chicken if they go out to eat.

Punkie
03-21-2005, 05:28 PM
You know, in one of my vegetarian books, I read that something like 99% of vegetarians "cheat" at some point... I guess because of my personality though, I'm either "ON" or "OFF", I can't dabble...

Leslie
03-21-2005, 09:48 PM
<< I read that something like 99% of vegetarians "cheat" at some point.>>

I've read that, too. And I've read that raw foodists cheat at some point. But some people suspect that it's the minor cheats that keep them in balance, which is why I'm reluctant to go 100 percent on anything.

bliss
03-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Ok, first what the heck is the Hallelujah diet? That had me rotfl for some reason! Anyway, I'm a veggie trying to raise 2 veggie kids with a carnie hubby and stepson. Not fun. Health, animal rights, Christian issues with meat. Not vegan, too hard with homefront opposition, probably would be if it was just me and the kids. I get really hungry for meat when I'm pregnant for some reason. I started on and off in college (8 years ago) to snag a guy I was interested in (ah the pure motives of the young. . .) "you're a vegetarian? Me too!" (quickly shoves fried chicken plate under the table) :lol but then the more I read about it the more it really did make sense to me and I've not gone back. Wish I could convince dh though.

Punkie
03-21-2005, 10:38 PM
Here's the Hallelujah Acres website (http://hacres.com/home/home.asp), although I will say up front that I believe that some of their logic is faulty :P I like a lot of their general ideas though.

flowermama
03-21-2005, 11:16 PM
You know, in one of my vegetarian books, I read that something like 99% of vegetarians "cheat" at some point... I guess because of my personality though, I'm either "ON" or "OFF", I can't dabble...

I eat some honey, some regular sugar in items that I buy, but I *think* that's it. No way would you catch me eating meat or dairy or eggs on purpose (although I ate some meat in a dream after reading someone's blog in which they talked about eating meat :lol); I'm too brain-washed. (j/k about the brain-washed part ;)) At this time in my life, though, I can't see myself eating that stuff. Maybe someday I'll eat some dairy or an egg, I don't know, but I don't feel that I'll ever want to eat meat again.

I've been vegan for about 3 1/2 years. I haven't had meat since my MIL prepared fish for me when she heard I was vegan (she thought fish wasn't meat, I guess :)).

It's for health benefits, to help lessen cruelty to animals, environmental issues....

It's funny..I thought it would be hard for me, but the idea of eating meat now, actually grosses me out. To think that's it's dead animal flesh! :sick

I feel the same way!

My children are vegan, too. My dh isn't vegan, but I prepare vegan meals all the time, and he's happy with them.

I think it's really great those of you who don't eat much meat. :tu My mom is kind of like that, too. She doesn't eat much meat and fixes my dad lots of vegetarian meals, which is great for his health especially since has had heart problems. I encourage you to continue your journey to a more plant-based diet. ;) :) :heart

boonpnutsmom
03-21-2005, 11:43 PM
I'm 30 and have been a vegetarian for since I was 10, so for 20 years, since my mom married my stepdad who is Seventh Day Adventist. As for health issues I have also recently had to cut out any soy products so this has been devastating. My DD just doesn't like meat so I don't force her to eat it by any means. My DH and DS's enjoy a good local mixed plate, but don't eat it at home just because I don't have it in the house. It is a huge struggle when my IN-laws come as she thinks if she cooks meat in things that we will be ok by just picking out the meat, sorry it doesn't work that way. I could never be vegan as I love my dairy products way too much, but all my kids are dairy intolerant so I am pretty much the only one that eats dairy so this makes some cooking difficult as I have to watch what I put in things for them. I am hoping that they outgrow their allergies to dairy but will not force it on them if they want no part of it. They take a multi-vitamin with flouride and get plenty of caluim and sunshine so I am not worried. We raise chicken for fresh eggs, and this way I know I am doing my part in ensuring my children receive HORMONE free eggs, we know exactly what goes into those eggs as we are the only ones to feed our chickens.

ShangriLewis
03-21-2005, 11:53 PM
I've gone back and forth a bit. But, dh was a bad influence. (Not terribly though..he didn't eat that much meat. But, he would be way for two months and then want something special. Boat food ya know!) Then he decided to go Vegetarian and it's been easier. We would like to be Vegan, but we backslide. I imagine as time goes by that we will both be Vegan without trying..if that makes since. Over the years I've come from being a child who ate nothing but meat, dairy and canned green beans..to eating tofu, veggies and rice all the time.

My mom drives me nuts! You would think she would be happy that I've stayed so trim and I'm healthy. But, she says the strangest stuff to us. We try not to talk about it around my mom. She made Ciopinno for Evan's Birthday. He decided it would be fine, but he slipped and told my mom that he had gone vegetarian and hadn't had meat in months. She said, "Well, just don't go Vegan. It's horrible for your heart and it would kill you."

Last time we were over there my Grandma said that soy was posion. :rolleyes

I want to be healthy and enjoy my life. My mother suffers and is terribly overweight. She has struggled her whole life with it and hates herself for it. It's so sad to me. My Grandma is in her mid-80's. She is just falling apart.

So, I guess alot is health related, alot is to make up for my childhood diet and those poor animals. It's horrible how we treat animals.

Punkie
03-22-2005, 08:24 AM
I've been vegan for about 3 1/2 years. I haven't had meat since my MIL prepared fish for me when she heard I was vegan (she thought fish wasn't meat, I guess :)).

What is with people thinking that fish isn't meat? My mom is a SCIENCE TEACHER and prepared me fish when I was last vegetarian. I tried to explain it to her and she told me that they "aren't really animals", so what are they, vegetable? mineral? Yeah, ok.... Oh well :P

Abinsmom
03-22-2005, 05:02 PM
My feelings on veg-ism are so much like Apronstrings!

I have considered going any form of veg-ism for several years now for a number of reasons:

My compassion for animals
My concern for health issues
My concern for the environment

I don't eat red meat and haven't for 20 years. At the time I gave it up, it was for caloric reasons (that was the 'fad' in the 80's) and now I can't digest it. Over the years I've learned about slaughterhouses and then I realized while I was growing up we lived next door to people who owned a rotating bull (that would mysteriously disappear annually to be replaced by a younger one -- they were Mormon and had a family of 10 people to feed) and were feeding the family off the same (what I thought at the time was a) 'cow'. I used to make friends with the 'cow' through the electric fence between our properties and would feed it corncobs from our garden. To think I was helping him become many meals for my neighbors -- I can't even go there.

So, that's my story on beef.

I could easily give up poultry meat, but haven't. I feel that eating eggs and dairy and honey is okay. I guess because the eggs that are sold aren't fertilized, and milk doesn't kill a cow, and honey doesn't kill a bee. Please tell me if I'm wrong about this. But maybe there are abuses of animals that provide food to humans but don't kill the animals in the process. I need to know more about that.

Fish and shellfish are the worst for me. I love both of them. I could give up fish first (I think fishing with hooks is cruel, and with nets it's worse, and with hatcheries it's the worst), but to give up shellfish...well, it would be hard.

I guess I don't know where I am on my veg journey, but I would love some feedback from some of you. Please lead me if you can!

Desert Rose
03-23-2005, 10:39 AM
and milk doesn't kill a cow, and honey doesn't kill a bee. Please tell me if I'm wrong about this. But maybe there are abuses of animals that provide food to humans but don't kill the animals in the process. I need to know more about that.

How strange. I posted a repsonse to the above quote but it disappeared. :think Maybe I just can't see it for some reason...so sorry if I gave this info twice!

Here's a link about the dairy business and animal cruelty...

http://www.peta.org/factsheet/files/FactsheetDisplay.asp?ID=98 (http://www.peta.org/factsheet/files/FactsheetDisplay.asp?ID=98)

I don't drink milk and am trying to eliminate all dairy. I have experienced the cruelty of the dairy farm first hand...you don't forget it!

julbug
03-23-2005, 12:00 PM
We went vegetarian in September of 2003 and vegan two months later. I'm happy to say my DH and DS and I are all vegan, it makes things so much easier. I can't imagine making two(or more!) meals all the time.

I only wish we had done so sooner, it's was hard for DS to understand when he was five. Even now at seven, he doesn't realize that the (soy) cheese we eat at home is different from the cheese his classmates have in their lunch and it's very important not to trade. It's especially important because we "accidentally" found out (thanks to my mother) that he is actually allergic (or intolerant we're not sure which). We've gotten very little assistance from the school about this (have I said how I feel about public school? :mad :banghead) We tried so hard in the beginning to give him foods that were very much like what his friends were eating so he wouldn't be "different", but I think it backfired because sometimes he really doesn't know the difference. If his friend's cookie looks like the ones I usually make, he thinks it's the same and okay to share.

findingjoy
03-23-2005, 01:43 PM
I am a mostly vegan (i.e. I still wear leather shoes, eat honey and occasionally fall of the wagon when it comes to dairy products, but not too often these days). I stopped eating meat about 10 years ago partly because of taste preference, partly for health reasons and partly for animal treatment reasons. Several years later I gave up dairy products and junk food because I was eating way too much of them, was gradually gaining weight and felt awful. I need to eat more raw food and start juicing again. Because of food allergies I usually eat and cook gluten free. My two kids eat the same way I do. My dh only eats meat and dairy products when he is eating out or at someone else's house. I can tell a big difference in my energy level and general health when I eat well (or don't eat well!). It seems from research studies I have read that dairy products are even worse for us than meat products, so I always recommend to people considering vegetarianism to phase out dairy first. Too bad it tastes so good! I've never liked meat much so it was not difficult for me to give up. I am concerned about the hormones and antibiotics found in most animal products. I look forward to learning from and exchanging ideas with others on this forum! :)

MamaBeth
03-23-2005, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't call me that just yet, but I'm transitioning. I'm down to about twice a week with meat right now, and I haven't had eggs in a couple weeks. I don't do most dairy anyway because of my IBS. I'm trying to work towards about 80% raw vegan though.

Katherine
03-23-2005, 02:25 PM
We are transitioning as well, and learning. I feel really good about how we're changing our diet, but it's hard not to get frustrated when I fix something that I think is ok, and then dh tells me he's decided not to eat X anymore either. :rolleyes (Yesterday it was corn... ) *sigh*

This whole movement is a very VERY recent development for us (as in.. the last few weeks.. we have stopped buying a lot of items, but are still phasing out the remaining non-veg stuff that's still in our .

Dh wants to do 100% raw food, though he admits he'll probably make an occasional exception. I am leaning toward a vegan diet for myself and the boys, but still have a lot to learn about how to go about it.

It's funny how it all happened. I've been researching things like food allergies and food-related behaviors for months, and dh reconnected with an old friend who is a raw foodist, so things finally came together and we are headed in the same direction now with our diets. :highfive

Right now the biggest obstacles for us are the fact that I have to be very cautious with regard to consuming soy (I had a terrible reaction to it when I tried to use it as a dairy replacement) and the cost of organic/vegan food. I love gardening anyway, so am hoping dh will help me get a veg garden going while he's on vacation. :cool

I am not looking forward to sharing this decision with our families. We've referred to it in a vague way, b/c we're getting together tomorrow night, but I think my Mom has the impression it's a temporary diet, like for weight-loss or whatever, rather than a permanent life-style change. Even so, she was uncomfortably quiet on the phone when I mentioned that we are trying to eat more Vegt. and vegan meals. She'll probably be worried about the boys getting enough calcium and protein... those were *my* concerns when I first started contemplating it. *sigh* ah, well. this will be one in a list of decisions that she doesn't like, but she will love us anyway. And we will love her, too. :heart

So glad I have all of you here for support and help! :grouphug

peacefulveganmom
03-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Just wanted to jump in and say that I am a vegan! I became a vegetarian as a teenager (about 15 years ago), and recently turned vegan (a little over a year ago)-- can't imagine living any other way!! :smile Glad to see there are other vegetarians and vegans here as well. :tu

ArmsOfLove
03-26-2005, 09:35 PM
We have been total vegan for 7 years except for the meat that I ate when I was pg and a little while I was pumping, and the goat cheese we've been eating a lot of lately. We do occasionally eat honey but the kids seem to freak out with too much of it, and there is debate over whether it needs to be part of the excluded food for vegans :rolleyes. I don't intentionally buy leather, but if I find a good pair of shoes and that's a part of it I'm not passing it up--good shoes are hard to find for my feet ;) And it's our whole family.

Wikolia
03-31-2005, 06:03 PM
I guess I'm technically partly vegie. Haven't eaten meat or pork in years, actively avoid them. Eat tuna maybe 2x/year and losing my taste for that. Losing my taste for chicken as well. If I wasn't married to a meat-eater, I'd probably be almost vegan. In the last few months have made even more of a shift toward total vegetarianism. My reasons are taste preference, health, and animal treatment practice related.
Vicki

thomer
04-01-2005, 06:53 AM
I have been a vegetarian since December of 2003. It started for heath reasons and then it migrated into alot of other reasons after I started researching. :sick

I have been craving chicken like crazy lately tho.. :blush I may have to get some fake Morningstar something to nip that in the bud.

I have thought about becoming vegan, but DH has expressed his great disapproval of that (he is a meat eater). He's going on a business trip next month for a week, so I may try it out. I'm not totally convinced that vegan is the healthiest way to go; and frankly I'm too lazy to change up all of my cooking again - but a week I could manage.

I do buy cage-free eggs always, and try to buy organic cheese when I get to the health food store (and have the $$). We don't drink milk - I use soy or occasional buttermilk for cooking. I might have found a local organic goat milk supplier tho..

Ok I'm rambling...