PDA

View Full Version : Something I've been thinking about...

kris10s
03-19-2005, 10:12 PM
We went to Ash Wednesday services at the beginning of Lent with DD at the episcopal church around the corner (we missed liturgy :blush) and when the priest put ashes on her little forehead, it really made an impact on me. As much as I am her mother, I am also her sister in Christ. This has been really helpful to me in thinking through parenting issues. Most Christians wouldn't serve wine to a fellow Christian who was a recovering alcoholic. Why do they discpline their children and then set them up to do the same things again?

sadie
03-19-2005, 10:21 PM
Interesting. Wow, that is such a good way of putting it. :idea

I wonder how many Christian parents really understand that concept...that their job is to keep their children away from temptation, the same way they would with other adults. In that light, when the Ezzo's and Pearls advocate purposefully tempting your child in order to make them fail, it's even more wrong b/c it is really leading a Christian brother or sister into sin, which is exactly the opposite of what we are called to do.

Have you discussed this with anyone at church? i think it's a brilliant thought. :)

greenemama
03-19-2005, 10:24 PM
wow, that really opens up some heavy stuff. :)

if my sons are my brothers in christ they need to be "one-anothered" as other brothers in christ. not only would i not tempt them to fail (a la pearl) but i wouldn't *beat* them into submission, i would not seek to "control" them, i would seek to "help" them.

and it's interesting to think about Christ as a servant and our role as parents. serving my children, meeting their needs, both physical and spiritual, humbling myself and not insisting there be a "payback" for wrongdoing.

good topic, kristen. :cup

mrsramjet
03-20-2005, 05:21 AM
that's an amazing ' aha ' moment for me!
a lot of the stuff i have wrestled with lately, comes into clearer focus with that bit of info.
thanks for sharing it here.

blessings.....

kris10s
03-20-2005, 05:59 AM
Thanks ladies!

Sadie, I have discussed it with a few people at church, including one Ezzo/Pearl mom, and everyone has been very receptive. I think it's hard to argue with, but at the same time, I don't think the NaziEzzo/Pearl mom will change her ways anytime soon either. I hope it makes her think...

TulipMama
03-20-2005, 06:08 AM
As much as I am her mother, I am also her sister in Christ. This has been really helpful to me in thinking through parenting issues. . . . Why do they discpline their children and then set them up to do the same things again?

Wow. Picturing that moment has impacted me.

Those ideas of my boys being my brothers in Christ, not simply my children, really had a profound impact on me. Hubby and I discussed that in depth, and I'd say that was one of the key moments in my gbd journey. Reading Galatians 6:1-2 in context of our children as well as the usual Church discipline context, followed up on that.

Those who are strong, gently correct those in sin. Bear one another's burdens. . .

I realized how easy it was for me to be harsh with my children, my brothers in Christ--when I would never dream of being that harsh with an adult brother in Christ (or even an adult non-Believer. . .)

Tamara
03-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Great insight. Thanks for sharing your epiphany!

Sandy
03-20-2005, 10:05 PM
That is a really profound thought....my children are my brothers and sister in Christ. If more parents saw their kids that way, I believe they would treat them much differently.

phermion
03-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Another good thought for discussion with a mom friend that has "joined" me on the journey. Thanks! I'll be chewing this one for a while.

Miss Priss
03-21-2005, 11:43 AM
Wow. that's a lot to think about. I think I need a :hkiss.

Seriously, that perspective in very convicting. :think

button_soup_for_4
03-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Thought-provoking insights. :heart

Cindy

arymanth
03-21-2005, 11:57 AM
I've been thinking along these same lines myself. When you correct your children, are you not correcting a brother or sister in Christ? How does the Bible tell us to deal with sin in others?

"Brethern, If ANY person is overtaken in misconduct or sin of any sort, you who are spiritual [who are responsive to and controlled by the Spirit] should set him right and restore and reinstate him, without any sense of superiority and with all gentleness, keeping an attentive eye on yourself, lest you should be tempted also." Gal. 6:1

What does that look like in parenting?

Stephanie

Benjaminswife
03-21-2005, 12:12 PM
That is very thought provoking.

TulipMama
03-21-2005, 01:29 PM
Stephanie--that passage is being discussed in the Theological Discussions (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?board=51.0) folder.

kris10s
03-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks for encouraging me, everyone!

I was hoping this wouldn't turn into a "are our children REALLY our brothers and sisters in Christ?" discussion, and it hasn't! But I was prepared (mentally) just in case... ;)

AmyDoll
03-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Thanks for posting that in such clear language. Such a good point and such an easy way to express it.

XOXO
Amy

Katherine
03-21-2005, 03:46 PM
<Arymanth>

What a great verse to think about! Thanks for posting that. I really needed to hear it today. :blush :heart

CelticJourney
03-21-2005, 07:02 PM
<<As much as I am her mother, I am also her sister in Christ>>

That thought has been something that hs convicted me many times over the years.

This weekend my girls were in a production at church and at then end of each performance the children (10 maybe) carryed this very large cross to the front of the church. Each time I helped put that cross in their hands it was a conviction that I had to strenghen them to be able to carry their own personal crosses in their lives. As each of the cast members (150 of them) passed the cross after it was placed in it's stand, they would touch it - I loved that it was a gesture that each person was making a direct connection to the sacrifice. It was good to see the heart of this church - I was beginning to think it wasn't there.

A little off topic, but...

Elizabeth

ChristmasGirl
03-21-2005, 11:07 PM
"keeping an attentive eye on yourself, lest you should be tempted also"

isn't this so true, esp. with our children?! I find that often the very thing i'm addressing with my kids is the very area that i end up falling in (esp. anger, yelling). And that my sin (yelling) can be a stumbling block to my children.

thanks for all of the thoughts here...

sadie
03-21-2005, 11:38 PM
Kristen, that's funny, I would never have thought to doubt it. :)

shilohmm
03-22-2005, 08:41 AM
I was hoping this wouldn't turn into a "are our children REALLY our brothers and sisters in Christ?" discussion, and it hasn't!

A good response to the whole "our children are God's enemies" mentality, I think, is 1 Corinthians 7:14, which says even the children of an unbeliever married to a Christian are "holy". I don't often run across the "evil child" sort of thing in Real Life, but I've hit up against it many a time on the Internet, and it's frustrating. I was a little worried it'd come up in this thread, as well. :) :hug

Sheryl

kklibrarian
03-27-2005, 05:33 PM
We are Episcopalian, and my husband and I are teaching our daughter (almost 3) how to participate in the Eucharist. Every time we say the prayers in church and I carry her to the altar with me, I think of how my actions toward her are preparing her heart to receive the fullness of Christ's salvation. It's humbling. The whole experience has really led me on the path towards GBD and AP, although I'm still a complete newbie.

Peace,
Kelly