PDA

View Full Version : ? about trans fat

Sara
03-19-2005, 10:10 PM
I am confused about the new labeling guidelines for trans fats. We have been working hard at removing hydrogenated oil from our diet. I was under the assumption that hydrogenated oils basically = trans fat. But now I'm seeing "0 grams of trans fat" on some of the labels of foods that we have given up because they contain hydrogenated oil.

What gives here? Can anyone explain this to me?

TIA!

Maggie
03-19-2005, 10:24 PM
If there's less than .5g per serving, they can say that it's 0g trans fat per serving. Also, Crisco is now labeled as trans-fat-free, but it's because they now fully hydrogenate their oil rather than just partially hydrogenating it. So, it's still an altered fat, but at least your body knows what to do with it. (With partially hydrogenated oils, your body uses the fat like something it really isn't.)

Sara
03-19-2005, 10:36 PM
So, is it still good to avoid the partially hydrogenated oils altogether, even if it is a very small amount? And what about the fully hydrogenated oils? I guess I didn't realize there was a difference! Should those be avoided as well?

Thanks!

Maggie
03-20-2005, 12:59 AM
Well, we do 99% of the time. The exception is our occasional order of chips and guac or a taco salad in a hard shell bowl while eating at a Mexican restaurant. You don't run into fully hydrogenated oils as often. We try to avoid those as we do the partially hydrogenated oils simply because we think natural fats are healthier (though we do not eat lard). Our favorite oil is extra-virgin olive oil, which we use on practically everything! And we like palm oil for baking.

HTH! :)

Sara
03-20-2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks, Maggie! We use EVOO on just about everything as well. In fact, I don't think we even have any other kind of oil in the house. :) But there are just a few little treats that I like that I've given up (like granola bars) because they contain hydrogenated oil. And then I was surprised yesterday when I looked at the label at the store and saw that they contain 0 grams of trans fats.

cobluegirl
03-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Well, we do 99% of the time. The exception is our occasional order of chips and guac or a taco salad in a hard shell bowl while eating at a Mexican restaurant. You don't run into fully hydrogenated oils as often. We try to avoid those as we do the partially hydrogenated oils simply because we think natural fats are healthier (though we do not eat lard). Our favorite oil is extra-virgin olive oil, which we use on practically everything! And we like palm oil for baking.

HTH! :)
ooh that makes me really hungry.....lol