PDA

View Full Version : Took action today!

ArmsOfLove
03-19-2005, 05:29 PM
I did some shopping today and got stuff that I can use to homeschool even with our circumstances. I got Jump Start basics for 1st through 3rd grade, a Finding Nemo program for ds2 to work on his computer skills, a workbook for dd who loves bookwork, Clifford Bingo with letters, some of the mess-free water colors, and glue sticks :lol (can you tell Jessica's post about spending $100 on the temporary boards inspired me? ;) ). I'm going to start reading one section of Story of the World and finish that, get back to doing the Alpha Phonics with Liam, and start reading him Fellowship of the Rings. I've been calling them in to watch The Magic School Bus and other more educational tv, and Fiona's been doing stuff on Nick Jr.com but I'm ready to get back into it :)

hearttender4
03-19-2005, 05:40 PM
That sounds great! :tu Is it the Jump Start computer game? My kids learned a lot from those, and educational CDs are such a great help when mom is busy with a new baby (or two ;)). I remember what an adjustment I had to make in our homeschooling after Sophie was born so that we could make progress without me being as hands on and methodical as I was used to. :P

ArmsOfLove
03-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Yes--the computer cd :) We have the first grade one and the kids love it! I forgot about it and should have pulled it out for dd :banghead But ds1 is really beyond the first grade stuff. Although he did learn a TON from it! They had the 2nd Grade Advanced with tons of extra fun stuff, but it was $10 more than the 1-3rd grade basics (which have geography, geometry, reading, tons of math, and other stuff). I figured we'd get more use from the multi grade stuff for less money :tu

Piper2
03-19-2005, 06:58 PM
That sounds great, Crystal! :) You're making me want to go out and get another Jump Start for Kevin. He's played with the basic preschool and kindergarten ones a lot, but not so much with the 1st Grade. But I think that might be mainly because he's got so much stuff out right now that it tends to get lost in the shuffle. He mentioned the other day that he wanted 3rd or 4th Grade -- but I think I'm going to try to get him to spend a little more time with the 1st again for awhile before either getting the advanced 1st or maybe the basic 2nd to do over the summer.

Sara
03-19-2005, 10:18 PM
That's great, Crystal!

You mentioned AlphaPhonics. I'm not sure if this recommendation is even appropriate to your situation, but I'll throw it out there just in case! :) Have you ever heard of Headsprout? My dd is a very, very, very beginning reader (who struggles some because of her perfectionistic tendencies) and so we finally tried Headsprout and she has been doing wonderful with this online reading program. It takes some of the teaching burden off of me. We do still work on letter sounds using "Simply Phonics" but she enjoys this interactive approach so much more! It has been SO worth the $$!

Anyway, just thought I would throw it out there for consideration.
http://www.headsprout.com

erinee
03-20-2005, 01:43 PM
We love the Jumpstart games! I want to get Jumpstart Spanish to use next year. It is so much fun buying stuff for school!

Erin

MamaBeth
03-20-2005, 03:50 PM
Sounds like you're doing well!

Miss Priss
03-21-2005, 10:57 AM
My kids love Jump Start!!! Good for you, Crystal. :clap
It's sooo hard after a baby comes, and you've got two!

findingjoy
03-23-2005, 04:05 PM
I loved all the ideas I gained from reading this thread! I'm going to look into Jumpstart and Headsprout. Thanks for the inspiration! :)