PDA

View Full Version : Fungus

Wholly Mama
03-19-2005, 05:15 PM
DSs both have some sort of skin fungus showing up in white spots (discoloration) on their arms, backs and faces. I posted about this on the old board. My brother had this when he was a kid and the dermatologist recommended rubbing Selson Blue on his skin.
I was thinking about Grapefruit seed extract instead. The two I found at the market were either in a capsule or the liquid was grapefruit seed and pulp. I bought the capsules and have the boys taking them orally. What do you think?

ArmsOfLove
03-19-2005, 05:16 PM
I'd probably pop open a capsule, dilute it, and apply it topically.

Wholly Mama
03-19-2005, 05:42 PM
It's powder in the capsule. Should I make a paste with some water and apply it?

ArmsOfLove
03-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Yeah--I think it's at least worth a try. Taking it internally is good, but a fungal skin issue would probably best be treated topically. I'm going on what I've read in the info I got with my GSE.

allisonintx
03-20-2005, 11:12 PM
Tea tree oil works well on fungi on skin.

TestifyToLove
03-20-2005, 11:38 PM
I've been dealing with a fungal infection on dd for a year now. I tried absolutely every natural option before I finally went in for a prescription (because the oral medication necessary for a head fungus can attack the liver and I didn't want that for my 6 year old).

Anyway, I can tell you what I know to work on a fungus that is more natural. Obviously, you can use the Selson Blue. You can also get Micatin or Tinactin and apply those to the fungus (not natural but both are OTC) either the cream or the spray works. Let's see, grapefruit seed extract works both taken orally or applied topically. Tea tree oil applied topically works. Then, gentian violet works great but stains everything.

In our house, the Micatin took care of the ringworm patch on the 4 year old. The grapefruit seed extract orally combined with tea tree oil topically took care of the scalp fungus on the 8 year old (original source of infection). Tea tree oil alone worked on the 2 year old, also scalp. And, Micatin worked on the ringworm patches that both Dh and I obtained from the 8 year old as well.

For poor dd, we started with Selsun Blue. We attempted using Micatin and Tinactin on her scalp, which held it at bay only as long as we didn't forget a single dose. Tea tree oil did nothing for her. Grapefruit seed extract reduced it a tiny bit, but not significantly. Gentian violet kept it at bay for a good 4 months, but left her with purple hair constantly. And, everytime we attempted to discontinue the gentian violet, it grew back and her hair started to fall out again. We finally got the oral prescription 3 weeks ago. The infection is now almost gone but not quite and she's got to take the meds for another 3 weeks, plus have her liver re-checked this week and again after she takes all the meds. Lovely.

Anyway, long-winded. But, there are lots of options which ought to work either naturally or OTCbefore having to resort to heavy stuff from the doctor.

Wholly Mama
03-21-2005, 07:40 AM
Thanks everyone!!
Do I dilute the TTO? If so, what's the ratio?
I think I'll try the GSE orally with TTO topically. Sounds like a good start. Then we'll work from

crunchymum
03-21-2005, 08:21 AM
my sister's been having problems with that... it's strange.

tempus vernum
03-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Don't dilute the TTO cuz water can feed some funguses. I'd apply it direct unless the fungus is oozing and it would hurt then I would mix it with aloe about 2 T aloe to 15 drops tto - btw aloe is also antifungal and so is lavendar e.o. (those were the only things I didn't see mentioned yet).

TestifyToLove
03-21-2005, 01:57 PM
Someone told me to dilute the TTO but I put it straight on there. Okay, it made them smell strangely like cleaning products (which ds thought was awesome, strange little boy). But, it was worth it. however, it really just takes a few drops to get it applied.

Mama Calidad
03-23-2005, 07:28 AM
We've just gotten DD cleared of fungus. Here's what we did:

Morning: Quick bath. Final rinse with GSE and TTO in the water. Dried thoroughly.
1 drop of Oil of Oregano by mouth
Sprayed her with OTC athlete's foot spray

Before bed: 1 drop of Oil of Oregano by mouth
Applied Oil of Oregano topically to all affected areas.

We also gave her lots of garlic to eat.

If you do this, be prepared to crave Italian food. :lol

crunchymum
03-23-2005, 11:05 AM
If you do this, be prepared to crave Italian food.

:lol

that oil of oregano is strong stuff, that's for sure! and i always DO crave italian when i take it... :lol