PDA

View Full Version : my dyson

something glorious
03-19-2005, 12:20 PM
just wanted to say that i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE :heart my new dyson vacuum cleaner...

...and am appalled at the filth it is bringing up out of my carpets. bear in mind that i JUST vacuumed with my dang expensive hoover, then followed it with the dyson....

...and it is unreal how much nastiness the other machine was leaving behind. truly.

if you need a new vacuum, i KNOW they seem to go for an ungodly price. but they do an absolutely HEAVENLY job of cleaning.

i'm gonna volunteer to be their poster child, and biggest fan !!!!!!!!!

DogwoodMama
03-19-2005, 12:22 PM
I hope to get one when we move, if we have carpets. I have hardwood floors now, and only one rug so I can't justify it.

Can you use it to clean upholstery? No matter how often I vacuum my couch I feel like it's still dirty... I need something with more suction than my hoover I think!

something glorious
03-19-2005, 12:34 PM
I hope to get one when we move, if we have carpets. I have hardwood floors now, and only one rug so I can't justify it.

well, it actually can be set to vacuum either carpets or hardwood/linoleum/tile, etc.....so if you really are looking for justification....there's some ;) :mrgreen

and yes, as long as you don't get the most basic one (the yellow one), there is an attachment called a "mini turbine head" that is great on upholstery, stairs, etc.

we also got the one with a low floor attachment that vacuums wonderfully under dressers, the bed, the couch, etc. and an attachment for dusting tvs, computers, mini-blinds, etc. AND an attachment to suck all the nasty dustmites out of our mattress (and other bedding too!)

can you tell i'm in love? :heart

Mothering by Heart
03-19-2005, 02:45 PM
I love mine too. It is actually quite embarrassing and ick when you see what's in the canister. :sick But it vacuums like a dream :)

something glorious
03-19-2005, 03:30 PM
It is actually quite embarrassing and ick when you see what's in the canister.

yeah, but embarassing for mr. HOOVER, not for me! heck, i was a good vacuumer....unfortunately the vacuum wasn't a good vacuumer :rolleyes

hehe :lol

lenswyf
03-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Deja vu! It was delightfully gross to see what my Dyson picked up when we first got it - and how much better the carpets looked. I'm a firm believer in the Dyson as well. Worth every single penny.

something glorious
03-19-2005, 03:51 PM
immediately after we signed the receipt, both DH and i started having major sticker shock/buyer's remorse.

but then we came home, got online, and started reading people's rave reviews about their dysons....

that convinced us to take it out of the box and give it a whirl....

....and there was seriously no looking back! :clap

something glorious
03-19-2005, 03:52 PM
ps - and with yucky rental apartment carpet....well, you know :sick

2sunshines
03-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Oh, I want one of those.

The price is just so hard to bear... :wow

But I have heard so many rave reviews...

I'll have to keep it in mind when we go vacuum cleaner shopping again (our vacuum is getting old and will need replacing soon...)

Mamaka
03-19-2005, 08:01 PM
I want one sooooo bad! And dh since finding out they are the king of vacuums keeps threatening to get one. I think I need to start saving my pennies. :P

What kind did you get? Is it the yellow model or the new pet hair model?

phermion
03-19-2005, 08:25 PM
:hissyfit I want one!!!!! I WANT one!!!
ok...now, that I've expressed that ;) I can say that I just LOVE that you got one!! And SOME DAY - I hope to have one, too. But,alas, it will be one FAR OFF day. :lol Enjoy!

Abinsmom
03-19-2005, 09:25 PM
Okay, call me a party poop, but isn't the Dyson bagless? I've heard dumping a bagless vacuum is really messy and that it's actually less dusty to just have a bag.

Anyone have a comment? I bought a new vacuum last year and like it a lot, but it has bags and I think it's very clean to change.

Will look forward to your thoughts!

kris10s
03-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Dysons are easy to empty. I wish I had one... someday...

Maggie
03-19-2005, 10:28 PM
We also love our Dyson!!!

lenswyf
03-20-2005, 04:41 AM
The Dyson is bagless, and I swore I wouldn't have a bagless for the same reason. However, it opens from the bottom and gently drops the contents into your waste container. It doesn't generate the mess that pouring vacuum trash would, so it's not a bother. I usually wait until the trash bag has just been changed and put the cannister down to the bottom; I pull the opening trigger and then raise the cannister up as the contents drop.

GodisGood
03-20-2005, 05:26 AM
We've had bagless for years now. We would own a dyson, but we bought a new one right before they came out. :banghead I have always emptied my canisters either directly into the large/ outside trash can or by moving the inside trash can onto the carpte. Any dust settles in a few minutes and then I vacuum that area and either I'm done or continue on. Once you go bagless, you can't go back.

something glorious
03-20-2005, 06:53 AM
What kind did you get? Is it the yellow model or the new pet hair model?

actually....if you check out their website (which i did as an investigation/research measure before making such a big purchase) there are like a bazillion models.

now, while i've heard nothing but excellent feedback on the 07 models.....we went all out. we got the 14 complete (which can only be purchased at sears). it basically has all the suction power of the "animal" but it also has extra attachments for cleaning your bedding (particularly sucking the dustmites out of your mattress :sick) and one for dusting electronics, shades & miniblinds, etc.

we figured if we were paying that much for a vacuum, it darned well better do a lot of things!!!!!!

oh, and for the person who asked...dumping the canister is a BREEZE. and i have always HATED canister vvacs b/c of how dingy and icky the canisters get, and how hard they are to empty. it has a button you press, and the bottom just opens up and dumps everything. we keep a separate trashcan with a lid, and try to empty it outside. but honestly, it doesn't much matter b/c it empties so nicely, and dust really doesn't fly.....

Miss Priss
03-20-2005, 08:57 PM
My MIL was just saying this about her Dyson! She's had it for three years, it just had something go wrong with it, but they bought the service warranty through Best Buy, and took it there, and they sent it right back to be repaired, no hassle.
I'm thinking about getting one, my LR rug is so hard to vaccuum the little white lint off of it, and Dyson's are supposed to have really good suction power. Don't know what I was thinking buying a BLACK area rug. :banghead

something glorious
03-21-2005, 08:21 AM
julie....2 words:

DO IT!

ok, and a few more words for good measure:

if you buy it at sears here in town, then also buy the 5-year warranty then if/when it needs a repair, not only does sears send it off for you free of charge (like best buy), BUT they also give you a loaner to use while its gone!

that's what we did :)

GodisGood
03-21-2005, 08:24 AM
Way cool. Part of our remodel is new carpet. What an excuse to get a new vacuum too! :highfive

Mamaka
03-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Ahhhhh! I'm dying here, I so would like to have one. (where's the little green jealousy smilie ;) ). I'll have to show dh the dyson webpage and tell him what you said MM.

Iansmama
03-21-2005, 01:43 PM
Another :tu :tu :tu for the dyson....they are AMAZING! I'll never go back to a regular vacuum again!

lucles
03-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Count me as a Dyson fan too! We are living in a temporary house that we bought while we work on our plans for our house that we're building. This house has carpet galore (we moved from a entirely hardwood & tile house) & the Dyson has been sucking up scads of the new carpet fuzz that comes off of new carpet. It is sooo easy to empty & I love that part because I never liked buying bags.

Sandy
03-21-2005, 03:57 PM
:mrgreen (This is as close to green with envy as I can find.) I really want a Dyson!

RealLifeMama
03-22-2005, 09:13 AM
Our Vacuum is on it's last leg.
We are waiting until we can afford a dyson to get a new one.
We got a bagless Fantom when we were first married and it did great but now it stinks!
I am glad to hear it really is worth the money.

Although, we really want hardwoods downstairs.
I would hate to spend all that money and then only have to vacuum the upstairs. Do you still think it would be worth it just to vacuum bedrooms? Since with the beds in the room, there is not much to vacuum.

Vipers_Princess
03-22-2005, 09:21 AM
now, while i've heard nothing but excellent feedback on the 07 models.....we went all out. we got the 14 complete (which can only be purchased at sears).

actually, you can now get them at Super Target also. Not that I'm getting my beloved all talked up and ready to get me one when we move... or shortly thereafter. They're $588 at SuperTarget, but well worth it, especially with Bug's borderline asthma issues...

2sunshines
03-22-2005, 09:49 AM
So, how do they do with needing repairs -- or more precisely not needing repairs.

We never buy warranties.

I only buy products that I am convinced do not need a warranty (very reliable).

Anyone know how the dyson stacks up?

2sunshines
03-22-2005, 09:50 AM
actually, you can now get them at Super Target also

Super Target? :wow Never heard of such a thing.

I'm assuming it's the same as Super Walmart -- with a grocery store AND a discount store???

kris10s
03-22-2005, 10:17 AM
RE: super target: yes!

NAK

Vipers_Princess
03-22-2005, 10:57 AM
is it a bad sign that I'm hunting up merch work specifically to pay for the big purple dream {aka the 14} ???

CakeLady
03-22-2005, 11:18 AM
I have wanted one for a while. Anyone know how well they do with pet hair? We have 2 dogs and 2 cats....there is always lots of hair!

GodisGood
03-22-2005, 11:25 AM
actually, you can now get them at Super Target also

Super Target? :wow Never heard of such a thing.

I'm assuming it's the same as Super Walmart -- with a grocery store AND a discount store???

Oh honey you haven't lived until you've been to a Super Target. :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart We had one a mile away from our home in MN. I so miss it.

something glorious
03-22-2005, 11:26 AM
AMAZING
with pet hair! :clap :tu

righteous mama
03-22-2005, 11:49 AM
My dear friend bought one and when we came over for a game night, she actually vaccumed to demonstrate the thing. She loves it so much...and I'm dying to get one. Maybe I can Ebay a bunch of stuff and get one!

Piper2
03-22-2005, 01:35 PM
I really wanted to get a Dyson because we needed a new vacuum. But DH simply would not fork over the $300+ (the cheapest model we could find) it would cost. :( Also, the way our house and furniture are set up, I felt that a canister vac might actually be a better choice. So just a little while ago, the UPS man delivered our new bagless, cyclonic canister vac ( got as many "perks" as I could), and I'm going to try it out later today. Hopefully it'll serve our purposes well.

ServantofGod
03-22-2005, 02:05 PM
I just got a Dyson about 2 weeks ago! :mrgreen Mine is a canister style; it's called the "telescope" because it packs down all compact-like.

I really went out on a limb buying the Dyson. My vacuum had lost suction so badly (though it is only two years old) that I couldn't vacuum anything the least bit static off the floor, i.e., lint, hair, fuzz, strings. So, I pretty impulsively decided to buy the Dyson, specifically because suction is his schtick. This is way rare for me, to just dump a ton of cash like that without researching it one iota.

I am thrilled with it. And I was never one who wanted a bagless vac, but once I understood the logic behind it, I was sold. Plus the canister is really easy to empty and I empty it in my garage.

PS. Dh did have a stroke when I told him how much it cost.

Abinsmom
03-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Honestly, I suspect Dyson overpromotes their product and only time will tell. Sure, you don't have to buy bags, but isn't there also a claim you never have to clean a filter?

I love my new Kenmore canister vac with many great attachments and features. It has a bag, which I love -- no dusty stuff. Filter cleaning can be complex but something you may be willing to do if you have more time.

I had a much longer response all typed out, then lost it.

Good luck with your experience with Dyson.

Miss Priss
03-22-2005, 08:14 PM
julie....2 words:

DO IT!

So...I told Seth the thing has great suction and how awesome it works, etc etc. His reply you ask?

"Great! Lauren can bring hers over any time she wants."
:rolleyes

kris10s
03-22-2005, 08:29 PM
Julie,
My dh would say the same thing. I was showing him the dyson at Sam's today, trying to prep him for when we need a new vacuum. I played up the "look at the suction power!" angle (can a vacuum be considered a power tool?) He just gave me this "Who knew you cared so much about vacuums?" look.

lenswyf
03-23-2005, 07:40 AM
I suspect Dyson overpromotes their product and only time will tell.

I sure wish they'd pay me for my part in the over promotion. I even persuaded my ex-husband to buy one -- and you have to understand, we never, ever agree on anything. He and his wife have 7 (yes, seven) cats, which means hair everywhere. Dd used to complain all the time about how she had the "scrub" their carpets to get their vacuum to pick up the hair. But the Dyson picks up on one or two swipes without any hassle. Everyone is happy.

I've had my Dyson for almost 2 years now. It still works like a dream. We have these throw rugs in the hall and kitchen that are navy blue and everything shows. Top it off with a dog that has short, straight, white hairs that seem to get embedded in those two rugs. But the Dyson pulls them out every time. My old vacuum just winced and ignored them.

And for the record, I have the most basic model -- not the animal one. Can't even imagine how easy it could be if I had the animal model!

CakeLady
03-23-2005, 09:24 AM
I talked to DH last night after reading this post...he said we can get one. YEAH :D But that we have to wait for a 20% off coupon from Best Buy or Bed Bath and Beyond...what a great idea. Nothing beats saving 20% off of $500. :D

RealLifeMama
03-23-2005, 10:16 AM
I talked to DH last night after reading this post...he said we can get one. YEAH :D But that we have to wait for a 20% off coupon from Best Buy or Bed Bath and Beyond...what a great idea. Nothing beats saving 20% off of $500. :D

I don't know if yours is the same or not, but our BB&B 20% off's exclude dysons. :hissyfit
It would be awesome though, if they accepted it!

ServantofGod
03-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Yeah, My BB&B 20% off coupon "excludes dyson products", as well as all the other great stuff I would really want the 20% off for! :banghead

TheSweetLife
03-23-2005, 01:18 PM
isn't there also a claim you never have to clean a filter?

I have the full gear model and LOVE :heart it. But you do have to clean the filter every six months, you don't have to replace it though. We got a vac. ( a bissell I think) when we got married for $100 and it lasted us only a year, then it pooped out on us. I figure that if I had to pay $4?? can't remember the exact price, then this vac should last us a looooong time (which I am confident that it will).

I would definately recommend a Dyson!

CakeLady
03-24-2005, 09:04 AM
Bummer about the BB&B...guess I will have to wait and see what Best Buy coupon says now... :hissyfit

something glorious
04-02-2005, 11:45 AM
So...I told Seth the thing has great suction and how awesome it works, etc etc. His reply you ask?

"Great! Lauren can bring hers over any time she wants."

:lol :laughtears

sorry, julie :shrug

maybe if i bring it and give him a demonstration he'll be sold???

Quietspirit
04-06-2005, 06:29 AM
I LOOOOOOOVVVVVE my Dyson! :hearts I never thought I'd be that excited over a vacuum but it is terrific! :clap

This Busy Mom
04-09-2005, 10:49 PM
now, while i've heard nothing but excellent feedback on the 07 models.....we went all out. we got the 14 complete (which can only be purchased at sears). it basically has all the suction power of the "animal" but it also has extra attachments for cleaning your bedding (particularly sucking the dustmites out of your mattress sick) and one for dusting electronics, shades & miniblinds, etc.

I just got one too and it was sticker shock :wow :wow :wow but we got the sears one that someone returned... it was almost brand spankin' new for $200 less so we snagged it. We love it... i'm really disorganized so I need to figure out where to put the extras so I can find them. I think I've already misplaced them somewhere *sigh*

The best part of this? My boys like the thing... I don't have to vacuum much anymore :heart :laughtears :laughtears

milkmommy
04-10-2005, 12:12 AM
actually, you can now get them at Super Target also. Not that I'm getting my beloved all talked up and ready to get me one when we move... or shortly thereafter. They're $588 at SuperTarget, but well worth it, especially with Bug's borderline asthma issues...

:eek $588? Our regular target has them in the $300 range??? I've never seen them for over the $300 range at Sears Bed bath and beyond etc am I missing something?? We don't and have no desire to get one. Though I'm sure they work great but its an entire paycheck so we jusst can't justify the expense. I have the bissil and its still bringing up tons of junk. :lol Joys of apartment living.

Deanna

Mamaka
04-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Here's the Official Dyson website (http://www.dyson.com/homepage.asp) which gives a breakdown of the different models and a ballpark figure for price. You can often find them cheaper/on sale at Target or Sears, etc as others have mentioned.

I did notice they're coming out with DC15 model that has a swivel head on it!!! :eek :tu It looks pretty hot! (though I was chicken to check the price on that one :O ).

CakeLady
04-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Talked DH into getting one. We got it yesterday at Sears. We :heart it! It works so well, but were disgusted with what it pulled out of the carpet. YUCK!

mothergoose
04-12-2005, 03:44 PM
:hissyfitCOVETING A DYSON IN THE WORST WAY!!! :hissyfit

It's really pathetic the things we moms/homemakers get excited about. I finally found a new mop head for my mop yesterday and I called my girlfriend all excited. :laughtears

Soliloquy
04-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Well, you ladies have inspired me because there's nothing I love more in my house than clean floors. To me, if the floors are clean, the whole house is clean. We are building a house and I really wanted a ranch because it was less $$ and easier to clean. DH really wanted a 2-story. I told him since I have to clean the house, I should get to decide how much house there is to clean! He told me that I could have a vacuum for each floor, to make it easier, so we're getting a 2-story.

Well, I'm going to use that to talk him into a Dyson! We'll have carpet and smooth floors, plus we have 2 cats. DH is allergic to pollen and dust mites. I think a Dyson will be a great investment in our health. I have a feeling, though, that once I get a Dyson, I won't want to have my older vacuum on one floor and the Dyson on the other floor. I think I'll be hauling my Dyson up and down stairs. Woo hoo! :tu :highfive

Thanks for all the info!

Garnet
04-20-2005, 07:00 AM
Ok, I hate bagless vaccums. Dh bought me a Hoover, and I hate it. I used to have a Phantom Fury that worked so well......at teh time we had no pets, but lived in a rented apartment, and the Phantom pulled animal hair up out of the carpet. :blush gross. Now, two kids later and an ark of naimals, (two dogs, a cat and a bird) a Dyson sounds like a good idea.... I love purple.... where's teh best place to go? Sears?

kris10s
04-20-2005, 07:34 AM
Try to buy one at Bed Bath and Beyond with the 20% off coupon!

(Mine said they'd take it!)

Garnet
04-20-2005, 07:42 AM
hmmmmm............... :think

i just went to their website and signed up for the mailings...now can I wait for the coupon to get here? Hmmmmm..........

Soliloquy
04-21-2005, 07:05 PM
Try to buy one at Bed Bath and Beyond with the 20% off coupon!

(Mine said they'd take it!)

THAT IS AWESOME!! Thanks for the info--I guess it never hurts to ask! I'm going to ask at my BBB! :tu

kris10s
04-22-2005, 05:00 AM
They said Dyson is the reason it is listed on the coupon, not BB&B. Dyson doesn't want them to sell that cheap. BB&B employees told me they take the coupon for EVERYTHING, including the banned list.

Soliloquy
04-25-2005, 12:26 PM
They said Dyson is the reason it is listed on the coupon, not BB&B. Dyson doesn't want them to sell that cheap. BB&B employees told me they take the coupon for EVERYTHING, including the banned list.

WOW! You ladies are awesome!! We almost bought one yesterday at Sears. But, I'm going to BB&B when my next coupon comes in the mail. I was going to wait to buy it until we moved into our new house, but now I'm thinking . . . why do I want to walk around on dirty apartment carpeting for 6 months when it can be clean? I'm getting soooooo excited! Can hardly wait!!

kris10s
04-25-2005, 02:14 PM
No promises, just what my local BB&B said. :) Based on previous experience of them taking expired coupons and coupons from other stores, It's definitely worth a shot.

I just bought an open box Dyson (the 14 model) for less than $350 from Best Buy, so that's an option, too.