PDA

View Full Version : Loving soy based TVP

ArmsOfLove
03-18-2005, 09:26 AM
I'm keeping it premade and putting it in salads and all sorts of stuff. Great high-concentration of protein and yummy yummy yummy

Punkie
03-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Its been a long time since I've had TVP.

I took my kids to their new pediatrician yesterday and I nearly passed out and fell over when she quoted from Mothering magazine's article on soy and then talked about articles that argued that soy was safe. I couldn't believe that I had found a pedi who reads Mothering! (Plus she breastfed until her daughter was 4 and agreed with my decision to not vaccinate :heart )

So anyways, I had cut back on my soy when I originally read that article and a few others, but now I've slowly been adding it back in. Maybe I'll go pick up some TVP and try again :)

cklewis
03-18-2005, 04:13 PM
I think DS is allergic to soy too! :hissyfit I made pizza last week with soy something-er-other (can't remember now) and NO dairy (it was a rather boring pizza), and he had a poo explosion afterward. :sick

Someone somewhere was talking about soygurt :neutral Not for us, I guess. . . .

C

Punkie
03-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Someone somewhere was talking about soygurt :neutral Not for us, I guess. . . .

C

That was probably me :) We just started trying it with ds, and so far it seems OK. He reacts with eczema though, so it takes longer to find out what's wrong (except with parmesan cheese, his whole head turns bright red when he gets it!). Our pedi referred us to an allergist, so hopefully we'll find out if soy is *really* safe for him.

There's also soy in his almond milk, so that'd be a real bummer if soy was ruled out too.

ArmsOfLove
03-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Camille, most soy cheese products actually contain casein which is milk protein :( You have to be careful even with soy products.

Roma
03-19-2005, 04:29 PM
had cut back on my soy when I originally read that article and a few others, but now I've slowly been adding it back in.
i'm glad to hear this. i don't want to overdo the soy, but this will keep me from being overparanoid about it ;)

Punkie
03-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I know. Its tough for me, because I was so freaked out about it for a while. The problem is that soy is in EVERYTHING :P

flowermama
03-19-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm keeping it premade and putting it in salads and all sorts of stuff. Great high-concentration of protein and yummy yummy yummy

oh, we love TVP! It took me a while before I started using it but my mom finally convinced me to try it ;) (I've got a great mom!). And now we use it a lot! If you add vegetarian beef broth flavoring to it, it even turns it a nice brown color (if you're wanting to make it look like ground beef .. ugh... I don't even like to say "ground beef" :( ). My dh really likes TVP (he's not vegan, but eats vegan around us at home).

Also, if you can buy it in those bulk bins, it can be really inexpensive.

:thumbsup

Punkie
03-20-2005, 08:00 AM
You girls have inspired me to try it again. I'm pretty sure that I've only used it in sauces in the past.

flowermama
03-21-2005, 11:22 PM
You girls have inspired me to try it again. I'm pretty sure that I've only used it in sauces in the past.

yayh! Let us know how it goes. :)

Desert Rose
03-22-2005, 12:06 AM
Ok. I'll be the dummy...what is TVP?

Abinsmom
03-22-2005, 03:39 PM
I just bought a bag of TVP in bulk because I've wanted to try it but it didn't come with any instructions -- HELP!

Can anyone suggest ways to prepare it (like with measurements and everything?). I'd also like a recipe for a dish I can use to serve to my carnivorous husband -- want to see if he'll notice.

Anyone?

AND, TVP is textured vegetable protein. Does anyone know what vegetables are involved? And do they texture it so it resembles meat?

ArmsOfLove
03-22-2005, 04:19 PM
You have to be careful when buying it if you are gluten free. The vegetable can be wheat. BUT "soy" texturized vegetable protein is gluten free :jump

As for cooking it--I boiled 2 cups of water with powdered broth added and then put about 1 pound of the TVP in it to rehydrate.

Abinsmom
03-22-2005, 04:39 PM
Crystal -- thanks for the response. So then do you cook it awhile like rice or does it puff up quickly like couscous?

Also, if you do a whole pound of it at a time, how long does it keep in the fridge? My family is smaller (just 4 of us total), so maybe you consume before it goes bad? Any ideas on fridge life?

Thanks!

ArmsOfLove
03-22-2005, 05:17 PM
I would have finished it all if I'd been up and cooking more :rolleyes

I I remove the pan from the heat after the water/broth is boiling and then let the tvp sit in it for about 5 minutes.

MySeoulChild
03-23-2005, 03:14 PM
I also like adding it to spaghetti sauce, where it soaks up the juices :)

The best thing I've ever done with TVP was make potstickers - ginger, TVP, scallions, tamari....mmmmmm I'm hungry :)