PDA

View Full Version : NEED! Sugar-Free Carrot Cake

righteous mama
03-17-2005, 05:20 PM
I need a recipe for sugar-free carrot cake. I made one for Mary's first birthday, the recipe was from the What to expect... I trashed the book and now I'm desperate for the recipe. Beth's birthday is Sunday and I'd like to make her one.

Mothering by Heart
03-17-2005, 06:23 PM
I've still got that book. Let me go dig it up and I'll get back to ya!

Mothering by Heart
03-17-2005, 08:10 PM
PHEW!! I am so glad dh built me bookcases for my birthday or I would have been digging around in boxes in the garage!

Bethany's First Birthday Cake
2-1/2 c thinly sliced carrots
2-1/2 c apple juice concentrate(you will use a little less)
1-1/2 raisins
vegetable cooking spray
2 c ww flour
1/2 wheat germ
2T baking powder
1T ground cinnamon
1/4 c vegetable oil
2 whole eggs
4 egg whites
1T vanilla extract
3/4 c applesauce

Combine carrots with 1 c plus 2T of the juice concentrate in a medium sauce-pan. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer covered, until the carrots are tender.(15-20 min) Puree in blenderor food proc. until smooth. Add raisins and process until finely chopped. Let mixture cool.

Preheat oven to 350' Line two 9-inch square cakepans with waxed paper and spray the paper with cooking spray.

Combine flour, wheat germ, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Add 1-1/4 c juice concentrate, oil, eggs, egg whites, and vanilla. Beat just until well-mixed. Fold in the carrot puree and applesauce. Pour the batter into cake pans.

Bake 35 -40 minutes. Cool briefly in pans then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.

Dh needs to talk to me. I'll be back with the cream cheese frosting in a bit :)

righteous mama
03-17-2005, 08:41 PM
YES! Thank you! You are awesome!!!

We actually made this for Mary's little cake and my whole family kept sneaking little bits. It's really good! I ended up making it again in bar form for snacks. I think I'll do that again. I just froze them in single servings.

Mothering by Heart
03-17-2005, 09:02 PM
Cream Cheese Frosting

1/2 c apple juice concentrate
1 lb light cream cheese
2 t vanilla extract
1/2 finely chopped raisins(weird)
1-1/2 t unflavored gelatin

Set aside 2 T of the juice concentrate

Process the remaining juice concentrate, cream cheese, vanilla and raisins in blender or food proc. until smooth. transfer to a mixing bowl

Stir the gelatininto the 2 T juice conc. in a small saucepan; let stand 1 minute to soften. Heat to boiling and stir to dissolve gelatin.

Beat the gelatin mixture into the cream cheese mixture until well blended. Refrigerate just until the frosting begins to set. 30-60 min.

righteous mama
03-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Oh, that's why I had unflavored gelatin in my cupboard! :shifty