PDA

View Full Version : Inhaled steroids (using nebulizers)

Katherine
03-17-2005, 04:45 PM
Anyone else have kids who are prescribed inhaled steroids for breathing problems? (RSV, asthma, bronchial tube infections, general coughs, etc)

Ds had RSV when he was just over a year old, and even though we took him almost immediately to the doc when he developed a cough, they said he was borderline pneumonia. I was shocked and scared. They told us then that since he'd had RSV, he would be more prone to get coughs and that it would be more serious when he did get one. So, we've always been very careful about it.

Whenever he does cough, they tell us to use our nebulizer with Zopenex or Pulmicort. I don't want to mess around with ds's ability to breathe or risk him getting pneumonia, but I am curious.. Are there alternative ways to approach this?

Thanks in advance.

tempus vernum
03-18-2005, 06:50 AM
I would use the nebulizer if the cough gets really bad but you could use a homemade menthol rub (eucalyptus e.o. in oil.) to start with and there is an awesome homeopathic cough remedy called Chestal Honey by Bioron.

I have 2 friends who eat entirely organic, don't take medication, etc and one uses a nebulizer herself and the other has one for her child. Asthma is not something to mess around with.

Mama Calidad
03-18-2005, 09:44 AM
I would use the nebulizer if the cough gets really bad but you could use a homemade menthol rub (eucalyptus e.o. in oil.) to start with
Another option is peppermint eo. It's not as strong as eucalyptus, but for mild needs it works and smells better. ;)

Katherine
03-18-2005, 01:47 PM
ok. Thank you for those tips. I'll see if I can find it somewhere locally. (is there a recipe for the homemade rub? I can try searching for it online)

ds doesn't have asthma, but b/c he had RSV, the docs immediately put him on the nebulizer if he's coughing even a little bit. I don't even have to take him in to the office... I can just start breathing treatments if he's coughing. I'm glad we have it, but since this pattern is developing, I've started wondering if there's something different I ought to do. TBH, I'm not even sure I understand *why* the RSV in his past means every cough in the future will be a major issues. :shrug Maybe something I should talk to my ped about.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)