PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron Question

inesperada
03-17-2005, 07:33 AM
If a Cast Iron pan gets rusty, is there any saving it? What do you do?

SueQ
03-17-2005, 07:47 AM
Yes, you can save it. I know that my great aunt bought a used one that had some rust on it for me and she cleaned it up and when she gave it to me it looked almost new.

I'll call her later this afternoon and see what she did to clean it up. (She is away this morning.)

2sunshines
03-17-2005, 07:48 AM
I've been doing some reading since I just recently switched to cast iron pans and I read somewhere that cast iron pans last forever. If they are rusty, you will just need to scour the rust off with a scouring pad. By doing so, you will probably scour some (or all) of the seasoning off so you will have to reseason the pan.

righteous mama
03-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Every once and awhile I de-season my pans to get any rust off and just to give them a good scrubbin'. Then I oil it up and reseason it with some good olive oil (or I make some oven fried chicken!).

Punkie
03-17-2005, 07:05 PM
I recently found out that you can do the same thing with a wok :) Mine had gotten rusted sometime during our move... I just used a scruby pad and scoured it off.

Abinsmom
03-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Does anyone else think it's just the strangest thing to season a pan???? I mean, it's almost like making it dirty on purpose and then storing it that way! I bought a cast-iron skillet several years ago to make 'authentic' fried chicken, and was completely astounded that I first needed to season it (didn't even know what that meant!) and then that it's basically okay and sanitary to store it that way.

I don't really even understand what seasoning DOES to a cast-iron pan. Can someone explain?

jghomeschooler
03-20-2005, 08:49 PM
well, I think it just gives a good oily build up that protects the iron from moisture so it doesn't rust. It's like a protective coating or something. Plus, if your pan is well-seasoned it becomes non-stick. :)
my mom would have my dad take her skillets out once every few years and burn it on a fire to remove build up on it, then re-season it. I'd just use an s.o.s. pad to remove the rust, then season it again. hth
Jenn

ReadingMommy
03-21-2005, 07:58 PM
I didn't think you could use soap on them and stuff. We just wash ours with a hard brush and water, dry it right away.

Do you know it gives you extra iron in your diet?

bostonsmama
03-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Do you know it gives you extra iron in your diet?

yes! thats the exact reason im so jealous that you all have them! also keeps you away from all the tephlon, etc. coatings on other pots and pans. theyre just so darn heavy. my grandma has a skillet for me to get....how exactly do you season them?? i am going to need a lesson!

jghomeschooler
03-23-2005, 09:07 PM
well, I heat the oven to 200-250, give my pan a good rubbing with canola oil inside and out, but use a paper towel to wipe off the excess or that can leave sticky spots on the pan. Put it in the oven and leave it for at least 2 or 3 hours. Lodge is a iron skillet company, you could google that and see the exact instructions on their web site. hth

mama j
03-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Do a search for the Lodge Cast Iron website. I bet they would have info on restoring a rusty pan. They have good tips on their for caring for your pans. My fave tip they had was that after washing your pan in the hot water, you wipe it dry and then spray it with cooking oil spray while it is still warm and wipe to protect and maintain the seasoning in between uses. They even make "pre-seasoned" cast iron pans now. If I didn't have my own already, I would have liked one of those.