PDA

View Full Version : faulty zipper

godsgracegiven
03-16-2005, 01:33 AM
Silly, but is there a way to fix the zipper on my jeans? They are my favorite pair, I don't want to pin them. So I thought I would ask. TIA! :)

2sunshines
03-16-2005, 06:31 AM
What's wrong with it? It completely doesn't work?

I'm pretty sure that you can replace the whole zipper pretty easily. I say pretty easily but I more accurately mean pretty easily for someone who sews... ;)

If you don't sew, you could probably find someone to do something like that pretty inexpensively (or free if you have a sewing friend).

Punkie
03-16-2005, 09:31 AM
If you don't sew, you may also be able to find a small shop in your town that does repairs and alterations. I don't think they usually charge very much.

godsgracegiven
03-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Thank you for the replies, it won't stay up.:blush

2sunshines
03-16-2005, 01:11 PM
Yea, that can be a problem. :mrgreen

You could also put a small safety pin under the top of the zipper after you've zipped them up to prevent it from unzipping. Of course it might be a pain because you'd have to undo it everytime you want to undo the zipper but it might be at least a temporary fix...

godsgracegiven
03-17-2005, 02:18 AM
Yes, it is a bummer, I will try pinning the that way. Thank you. :) :blush

Abinsmom
03-19-2005, 10:08 PM
If they're really a favorite pair and you can't bear to give them up, I would pay a tailor to replace the zipper for you. Jeans zippers can be difficult to replace -- the fabric is bulky and you really have to get the stitching just right (and your sewing machine has to be tough enough to take denim). I have a hard time finding jeans that fit, so if I find a pair I really like, it would be worth it to me to pay a tailor to replace a broken zipper rather than search high and low for another pair of jeans!

Alterations are done at the drycleaner we go to for a reasonable price, so you might inquire at a local dry cleaner. Our drycleaner is operated by an Asian family and they are all very talented in tailoring, so we've had a few things done for much less than we've paid at department or other apparel stores.

Good luck! I just got a tear in the knee of a favorite pair of my jeans and I'm just heartbroken. I don't think there's anything that can be done about that other than what my DH suggested -- making them into cutoffs!