PDA

View Full Version : Did I do okay with this? (turned out long)

Mothering by Heart
03-15-2005, 06:33 PM
DD , 9 was at the neighbors house playing with their dd. Their dd had another friend come over and play. They played together all afternoon until the neighbors came to our house for a BBQ. The mom came in and said, "You have to read this. It hilarious" After our dd's were not in the room, she showed my a letter that my dd had written to a friend that lives out of state. She wrote while at the neighbors house, and my neighbor saw her stuff it under a pillow. Hope this all makes sense :O
Anyway, the letter said, Dear A, I am playing at K's house. There is another girl here and she is not the kind of person I would like to be friends with. She's weird. She's kind of nice, but not too nice"

Love, M

The next morning, I got the chance to talk to dd about it. I said, "K found this at her house" She immediately looked scared and said, "she did?"

I asked her what the other girl might have felt like if she had found the note. My dd was upset and said that it would make her feel pretty sad. I also told dd that it was ok to feel that way about someone, that she should decide who would/would not be a good friend, but that maybe next time she should write in her journal instead or come talk to me.

Was there anything else I should have done? Truth be told, I am happy that she is discerning who would or would not make a good friend.

ArmsOfLove
03-15-2005, 06:40 PM
I think I would actually talk with her more about why she wasn't drawn to this person--explore the discernment she's exercising. I think you handled the letter writing/potential hurt feelings wonderfully.

Mothering by Heart
03-15-2005, 06:46 PM
I think I would actually talk with her more about why she wasn't drawn to this person--explore the discernment she's exercising. I think you handled the letter writing/potential hurt feelings wonderfully.

Yes!! Thank you! I will do that.

righteous mama
03-15-2005, 10:38 PM
I think you did a good job! And I agree that discussing it a bit further would be a good thing. Especially because it will validate her feelings. It's ok for her to feel that way, it just wasn't ok for her to write when the girl could've easily found it.

btw, I did something similar when I was younger and my mom totally freaked out. It would've been nice if she had given me the benefit of the doubt. It still bothers me that she didn't validate or talk to me about what I wrote. :(

musicmama
03-16-2005, 07:18 AM
(((Amy))) What a wonderful gift for your dd to have! I know you can help nurture her heart and her discernment and I will be praying for her! It takes me back to when I was a kid and I wish I would have had that kind of discernment. God is going to use her for such big things!!

What great advice you've gotten!

:heart

Mothering by Heart
03-16-2005, 02:11 PM
I talked to dd today. I asker her why she thought this girl would not make a good friend and why she just didn't want to be around her and she said that the girl had called my dd 9 and my dd, 4 "geeks" Dd said she told her not to call them names and the girl just blew her off. :rolleyes

Dd also said that she was a show-off, and just not a nice person. :lol

I told her to keep trusting herself to know who would make a good friend and who wouldn't. And that she could still and always talk to me about anything :heart

ArmsOfLove
03-16-2005, 02:16 PM
It's great that she already has character qualities she's looking for in the people in her life :)

cornflower
03-19-2005, 07:13 PM
I'm impressed by your DD's discernment. It bodes well for the future! :)

Tamara
03-20-2005, 03:13 PM
I think the journaling idea was great, since it gave her the same kind of out as writing the letter, but provided a safer forum.