PDA

View Full Version : Home-keeping Schedules

Mothering by Heart
03-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Please share your home-keeping schedules/routines here to encourage other mamas :heart

ArmsOfLove
03-15-2005, 02:38 PM
:hiding

Mothering by Heart
03-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Yeah, me too :O

Mamatoto
03-15-2005, 06:05 PM
Dd and I have chore time scheduled every day from about 9:00-10:00am. We make our beds, put laundry in, load the dishwasher, and then clean something like the stove or counters or bathroom. Then at around 4:50pm every day we do a ten minute tidy, clean up the toys, put things away, and then start dinner. She helps me to set the table. After dinner we all help with the dishes. I usually do laundry on Mondays and Thursdays and clean the bathroom on Friday. I do my shopping on Wednesday or Thursday. Every night the rooms and toys get cleaned up before bed. Usually on Friday I also vacuum all the bedrooms and bathroom. I like the house to be clean before the weekend. Dh usually vacuums the main living areas every evening after dd is in bed. :candle

righteous mama
03-15-2005, 06:12 PM
I'm pretty much hiding with Crystal, but I do have a schedule...it's just that it isn't being used. :shifty

So I'll tell you what I'm supposed to do...

Monday: Bathroom & Master Bedroom (that's clean them, not hang out in them)
Tuesday: Laundry Day, Kids Bedroom, Clean Off Desk
Wednesday: Living Room/Dining Room
Thursday: Errand Day
Friday: Laundry Day, Kitchen, Clean Up Outside

As you can see, it is an easy schedule. There is absolutely no reason I can't stick to that. Oh, and on Monday's I strip the beds and wash sheets. My goal is to bleach them once a month (they are just white sheets) so that they stay pretty.

SueQ
03-17-2005, 07:53 AM
Crystal:
:hiding
Marcella:
I'm pretty much hiding with Crystal,

I am the same as them. Marcella said she had a schedule but doesn't follow it. Well, I did make a schedule and then it got lost. :blush I really need to make another schedule and then follow it. So right now I am with Crystal and am :hiding :blush

Allison
03-20-2005, 09:09 AM
I have one that was working for me for a while, but recently just isn't getting it all done for some reason. I'm feeling overwhelmed by it I guess. My new plan is to do daily stuff every day (dishes, laundry--from washing machine to folding and putting away, etc) and then do two rooms completely each day. A second cleaning of the bathrooms and extra vacuuming will be done as needed.

BearyBlessed
03-20-2005, 09:59 AM
Count me in with those that are :hiding :blush

Katigre
03-20-2005, 10:35 AM

Mamaka
03-20-2005, 02:35 PM
I try to spot clean bathrooms and unload dishwasher every day, usually in the morning. After dinner, dh does the dishes (I love that man!) and I take care of the leftovers, counters, making lunch for next day. Ds is starting to learn to feed the dog at that time. Then I have a schedule I *sort of* follow for the rest of the week, chores usually happen after learning time and/or lunch.

Monday: floors (vacuum & mop) & dusting
Tuesday: baking
Wednesday: laundry
Thursday: bathrooms (intensive cleaning)
Friday: whatever didn't happen the rest of the week or a major chore not on the list (like cleaning the oven or something), maybe vaccum again

I take the weekends off because there is absolutely no way I can keep the house clean with dh, ds & dog tromping in and out of the house. And honestly, there are a whole bunch of weeks where only some or none :O of this happens.

jghomeschooler
03-21-2005, 05:05 PM
:blush

okay, here goes:

when there are piles of laundry in the bedroom AND laundry room, it's time for a laundry marathon
when I'm tired of having to wash dishes before I can cook, it's time to tame the dish monster (I've been MUCH better about this lately, we do 3 loads of dishes a day in the dishwasher!!!!!!!)
when I am tired of stepping on crumbs in the kitchen, it's time to vacuum
when I can see the floors again in the laundry/bedrooms, it's time to vacuum
when we want to eat at the table, it's time to put all the books away on the shelves where they belong
when we can't find books on the shelves, it's time to straighten them all out and dust the shelves too
when I think someone is coming over, or might step in the door, it's time to put ALL of the toys (downstairs) in a box in the closet, and vacuum the downstairs, wipe down the bathrooms and scrub the toilets.
how's that for a "schedule"?
Jenn

RealLifeMama
03-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Mine is about the same as Jenn's!
But I am working on it.

I am slowly making one, one task at a time, by watching when I seem to need to do it.
So far, I have a list of dailies and one task for each day.

ReadingMommy
03-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Okay, I'm a big geek. I love schedules, I love crossing things off my to do list, I love a clean house, and I'm a new flybaby with a working control journal. :)

Every morning my girls and I do our morning routines.
eat, have bible reading and prayer
they get dressed, make beds
I brush their hair and teeth
They do their chores, empty the garbages, dishwasher, etc.
They play

Then I finish or start my routine, depending on how our morning started.
After showering, etc, I dust (ostrich feather duster, quick and easy) , wipe down bathroom, and do a load of laundry.

Just by doing this, my house stays in good shape. The bathroom is always clean, the dishes are done right away, there is never dust (allergy issue for us) and the laundry never piles up. It's brings peace.

We clean up toys before dinner, we sweep floor after dinner, do dishes, lay out next days clothes, pack lunches if we're going to be out, basically I prepare so that the morning routine can happen smoothly. I can't wake up to dishes, dirt and a huge to do list, or I'm stressed.

I have certian chores I do on certian days too, (Tuesday errands, Thursday bake, Friday clean, etc)Sometimes I do them in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon. However it works with our moods, energy level and activities.

Please don't hate me. :OI used to struggle so much and now I have found the discipline to keep up and it feels great! (Did you know it only takes 10 minutes to fold and put away a load of laundry!!! or 5 minutes to empty the dishwasher!!!) :D

ShangriLewis
03-22-2005, 01:37 AM
The toilet stinks I think I'll wash it.

The dog can't get to his bed. (His den is the laundry room. He loves to sleep in there, so we moved his bed in there. But, he gets rather upset if we let laundry get near his bed..what can I say he's a Border Collie.)

Let's eat at the table...Gibran come get all your art work.

My favorite was the last time we mowed our grass was because Escher walked through this big chunk of it and dissapeared...lol.

Actually, our house stays pretty clean. I did not grow up that way at all..so I've tried to develop habits. I can't stand schedules. So, if I notice we have a problem we work on it till no one thinks about picking things up. Like I find myself cleaning the bathroom if I'm in there with the kids or if I'm cooking I clean the kitchen or put away dishes.

Heather

mummy2boys
03-23-2005, 03:56 AM
I am like ReadingMommy........we can be geeks together :blush :blush :blush

I am a clean freak too so I have a routine I stick too and I need to be really, really, really sick before I stop it

...away to hide under my rock :eek coming with me ReadingMommy ;)

LadybugSam
03-23-2005, 02:19 PM
I'm a fly baby too but i also grew uyp in a home where nothing got done (my mother was bi-polar) so i'm learning a lot of things slowly....

wanna see my schedule

~*Weekly Routine*~
(subject to change)

Sunday
Vaccum
Sort Laundry
Take out trash

Monday
Laundry Day!

Tuesday
Put away Laundry
Clean Bedroom
Bathe

Wednesday
Bills
make shopping list
take out trash
shop

Thursday
Bathroom
kitchen
mop
Bathe

Friday
Quick clean
windows
dust
special project

Saturday
Sweep Front Walk
Bathe
re-stock diaper bag

tada!

and i have morning and bedtime routines too

~*Morning Routine*~

Get up!
Bathroom/Brush teeth
Get dressed (shoes!)

Get Moving!
Empty Dishwasher
Shine sink

EAT!!
Sweep Kitchen
Make Bed

NO INTERNET!!

(depending on whether or not the baby gets up with me, i'll "Get moving" either before he wakes up or while he's eating his breakfast) if he wakes up after me i'll take him to the bathroom and get him dressed once he's up, otherwise we do it at the same time)

~*Bedtime Routine*~

Get ready for bed
Pajamas
Brush teeth/wash face
Set out tommorow's clothes
Put baby to bed

Private time
Devotional/Bible
Pray

Last minute clean up
Dishes
Shine Sink
Sweep
Quick Clean Livingroom

My time
Free time! (no free time if its after midnight)
Bedtime

but like i said i don't stick to it much

i do try to get diner started by 4pm though and i'm pretty good at doing that...

Heather
03-24-2005, 01:40 PM
I have a schedule but it's lost somewhere on this mess at my desk... :hiding

jammomy
03-24-2005, 11:42 PM
My schedule is alot like Jenn's :shrug But thanks to FlyLady, I now get my dishes done daily (most of the time) and get my bed made almost everyday. Also, I set aside two days per month (5th and 20th) to pay bills. Progress, not perfection! :tu

akmyilee
03-25-2005, 08:36 AM
I guess I am one of those, slightly hyper people about this type of stuff. (side note) I am reading a book called Women After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George. I REALLY hated it at first, alot about submitting to your husband and ya know that type of stuff BUT if you can read it with a realistic mindset, knowing what works for you, it has really been a joy for me. I have been learning that my husband/home is my carreer and something that I can be proud of if I am doing it God's way. Ok all of that to say that having a chore schedule / daily routine helps me to "feel" like I have accoplished something, even though I KNOW that I have just by being a loving mother to my kids and dh. We don't follow this to a tee everyday by anymeans, like if we have an afternoon apointment or want to go to the park or somethign. now to the point, sorry about the tangent. oh and btw, what is fly lady?

Daily Routine

6:15A Jonathon gets up

6:40A Prayers

7A - 9A Get dressed / Eat Breakfast
Mom’s Bible Study
Unload / Reload dishes
Start Laundry - Mon / Thurs

9A-1P Appointments - Work - (like paying bills, and helping my dh with the real estate business)
Make phone calls, etc.
NO TV!

1P Lunch

2P-4P Quiet Time
Reading, movie, sleep

4P-5P Cleaning

5:30P Kyle’s reading ½ hour

6P-9P Dinner and family time

9P Kyle in Bed

9:30 Amie and Jonathon Bible Study

Chore Plan

Mon- Laundry
Tue- Grocery shopping
Wed- Clean bathrooms
Thurs- Laundry Fri- Floors

ozmummy
03-25-2005, 10:52 PM
oh and btw, what is fly lady?

www.flylady.net
A whole life system of being organised taking it slowly and developing habits, routines. Excellent when you've got no idea where to start in this.

I have just discovered www.motivatedmoms.com
and I really like it because it's alot more simple, spoon feeding me chores. You basically have a list of daily chores, and then a couple extra jobs each day, which include things like "cut the children's nails" and "exercise" and "quiet time"
So I really like the way its got everything and I don't have to think about it.
I have a kind of morning and night routine happening from flylady, and I find most of the daily chores from motivatedmoms are the ones that are part of these routines anyway.
hth

catholicapmom
03-27-2005, 12:30 PM
I've tried so hard to keep a schedule or routine, but when most of my day is spent with Bethany it doesn't work. :neutral Right now as long as my kitchen is clean by the end of the day I'm happy. :rolleyes

milkmommy
03-31-2005, 04:19 PM
I used to have a schedule drove me batty and house stayed clean for like two days... When GCM went down I felt sorry for my self and accomplished nothing. My new way. Get up look around make a list. post list here on GCM where it might be ingnored but oh well ;) Complete list. Go about life. What I no longer wory about 1) DD toys everything gets dumped into her play pen a few times a day and at bedtime, make beds :O If we ain't having guests I don't bother shes left everywhere. but dishes are done bathrooms clean, flloor are vaccuumed and mopped.

Deanna

waremock
04-01-2005, 12:52 PM
No set schedule here but my house is always presentable no matter thou :) I'm the type who straightens/cleans as I go or as the mess occurs... I'm up at about 5-6am..I have a a quiet devotion bible time and :cup(everyone else is still sleeping except me my 4 month dd) an hour later dh awakes and does his devotion and plays with 4 month dd while I have breakfast and get breakfast ready for my 2 oldest. I shower if I have not done so the previous night. I load the dishwasher or do laundry (if it needs it) sometimes yes sometimes no. I love my (Relaxed non stressful home setting :D) 8am my 2 oldest wake up (on there own if they went to bed by 9pm the previous night) they sleep in til 9am if they went to be at 10-11pm the previous night..... and eat breakfast/talk, brush there teeth and then play for a while. 9am ds wakes up and he watches his bible sing along video while he eats his breakfast in the living room! By 10am I'm doing school with my 2 older dd's and by now my 4 month dd is napping for 2-3 hours. My ds is playing and running around the house wildly!! By 1-2pm we are done with school for the time being.. ds is down for his 3-4 hour stretch nap. dd is awake and the older girls play with her so I can have free time. or if they want to play by themselves..dd is with me having free time by 4pm I'm calling dh at work asking him what he wants for dinner or if he wants to eat out/order in? If he wants me to cook ..then I de-thaw whatever it is and get busy..he gets home at 5:30pm and he eats with me...More then not..my 2 older dd's have already eaten by the time dh gets home.They eat whatever they want within reason....soup,salad,mac-cheese,fruit platter,rice,waffles,oatmeal..all depends what they ask for...They are very fond of breakfast type meals so sometimes do waffles/eggs and oatmeal all in the same day. They do not like to eat meat all that much...with exception of beef stew (spanish style) My dh is a meat and potatoes type of guy. 6pm everyone is up and we are all having family time in the living room. I sit down for about an hour to join in the conversation or board games etc...and then I'm up seeing if there is now dishes/laundry to do.. my 2 oldest dd's are in charge of drying the laundry and putting it away..also the empty the dishwasher and I restock of need be.. Somewhere threw out the day I whip my cordless full size vac out and run it threw each room of where ever ds has smashed his Ritz crackers and cherries He pretty much eats on the go every meal/snack.. (long story but 3 weeks ago he had a very bad scary fall back in his high chair and I have been unable to get myself to put him back in it since then :( I did not even post about it because it was just to sad to talk about at the time......ok, 8pm dh takes over the tv with all those (reality programs and some show called 24 that he won't even think about missing :shrug ) I'm not too much of a TV bug anymore..(I'd rather be here at GCM frankly) I do enjoy the occasional Lifetime movie thou :blush There was a good one on last night at 8 in fact!! ok, so 8pm we sometimes do more school for an hour if the girls want too..Generally they ask to do more ds goes to sleep at 9pm (unless he had more then one nap which he does about once every couple weeks)in which then he's waking up at 8pm and goes back down at 11pm....my girls go to bed whenever he does.. sometimes 9 sometimes 10-11....dh likes all the kiddos in bed at the same time so then we can have some quiet time together :smile

Well, that is it...everything is subject to chance at a moments notice...if it snows like crazy, I surprise the girls with a snow day and they spend the whole entire day in the backyard which is a hill and sled the day away!! Dh once in a while surprises us and comes home early and we all go out to lunch/shopping..I would not even think of changing the way things work around here. In my eyes it's pretty close to perfect. ~Michelle

gracieannsmom
04-08-2005, 05:33 PM
I have major OCD issues with cleaning. I am particularly obsessed with the kitchen. I sweep and mop at least once daily, sometimes more. If I see a speck of dirt on the floor, I'm right there with the Dustbuster to pick it up. Then while sucking up that piece of dirt, I notice others and before you know I'm hunched over "vaccuming" the entire kitchen floor with the Dustbuster. I also bleach the inside of the sinks several times a day, wipe down and sanatize the counters and stove several times a day as well. I am constantly picking up toys and putting them away all day and also sweeping up and disposing of dog hair. I am actually seeking help with a counselor for my issues because they are interfering with everyday life now. I am finding that with a toddler, I cannot handle messes; they need to be cleaned up immediately and if something else happens while cleaning up another mess I lose my marbles completely. I guess my mentality is that I am the only one here to do this since dh is gone for the year and so if I don't tend to messes as they come then I will have a bigger monster to deal with later. Still I have absolutely become obsessed wtih cleaning and I spend more time doing that than with my poor dd. So I finally decided I needed to seek professional help. I'm hoping they will be able to give me some constructive ideas of what I can do to help control my response to untidiness and dirt. I won't even let anyone help me with the laundry because I have an anxiety attack if they don't put a shirt on the hanger so it's facing in the same direction as the other shirts! :eek
Anyway, I'll have to let everyone know what I learn in my sessions when they start.

~yogamom~
04-12-2005, 02:53 PM
I have major OCD issues with cleaning. I am particularly obsessed with the kitchen. I sweep and mop at least once daily, sometimes more. If I see a speck of dirt on the floor, I'm right there with the Dustbuster to pick it up. Then while sucking up that piece of dirt, I notice others and before you know I'm hunched over "vaccuming" the entire kitchen floor with the Dustbuster. I also bleach the inside of the sinks several times a day, wipe down and sanatize the counters and stove several times a day as well. I am constantly picking up toys and putting them away all day and also sweeping up and disposing of dog hair. I am actually seeking help with a counselor for my issues because they are interfering with everyday life now. I am finding that with a toddler, I cannot handle messes; they need to be cleaned up immediately and if something else happens while cleaning up another mess I lose my marbles completely. I guess my mentality is that I am the only one here to do this since dh is gone for the year and so if I don't tend to messes as they come then I will have a bigger monster to deal with later. Still I have absolutely become obsessed wtih cleaning and I spend more time doing that than with my poor dd. So I finally decided I needed to seek professional help. I'm hoping they will be able to give me some constructive ideas of what I can do to help control my response to untidiness and dirt. I won't even let anyone help me with the laundry because I have an anxiety attack if they don't put a shirt on the hanger so it's facing in the same direction as the other shirts! :eek
Anyway, I'll have to let everyone know what I learn in my sessions when they start.

:hugs gracieannsmom! It sounds like you're going through a really difficult time! I will be praying for you. Please let us know how you're doing!

~yogamom~
04-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Here's my schedule. I am new at this (I've been a SAHM for 4 days!). Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Housekeeping Schedule

Monday

o Bedrooms
o Organize
o Dust
o Vacuum
o Windows
o Basics
o Dishes
o Pick up common areas
o Laundry
o Kitchen counters
o Hypnobabies
o Morning CD
o Afternoon CD
o Lightswitch practice!
o Bible Study and prayer time

Tuesday

o Kitchen
o Sweep and mop
o Stove
o Counters
o Microwave
o Clean out refrigerator
o Organize shelves and cupboards
o Basics
o Dishes
o Pick up common areas
o Laundry
o Kitchen counters
o Hypnobabies
o Morning CD
o Afternoon CD
o Lightswitch practice!

Wednesday

o Plan meals for entire week and create grocery list
o Bathroom
o Sweep and mop
o Counter
o Mirror
o Toilet
o Shower
o Replace hand towel
o Basics
o Dishes
o Pick up common areas
o Laundry
o Kitchen counters
o Hypnobabies
o Morning CD
o Afternoon CD
o Lightswitch practice!

Thursday

o Grocery shopping for the week
o Office
o Organize
o Dust
o Windows
o Vacuum common areas and dsd's room
o Basics
o Dishes
o Pick up common areas
o Laundry
o Kitchen counters
o Hypnobabies
o Morning CD
o Afternoon CD
o Lightswitch practice!

Friday
o Wash bedding
o Clean out cars
o Organize
o Vacuum interior
o Windows
o Basics
o Dishes
o Pick up common areas
o Laundry
o Kitchen counters
o Hypnobabies
o Morning CD
o Afternoon CD
o Lightswitch practice!

Saturday

o Basics
o Dishes and sink
o Pick up common areas
o Laundry
o Kitchen counters
o Hypnobabies
o Morning CD
o Afternoon CD
o Lightswitch practice!

Sunday

o Basics
o Dishes and sink
o Pick up common areas
o Laundry
o Kitchen counters
o Hypnobabies
o Morning CD
o Afternoon CD
o Lightswitch practice!

ShangriLewis
04-13-2005, 07:29 PM
What's Hypnobabies?

purplerose
04-21-2005, 10:12 AM
Well, my schedules a bit weird, but it works for us!
Daily-
-pick up messes as I go, but when kids go down for nap, that's when I put all the toys away!
-dishes put away, kitchen clean
-make beds, straighten rooms

Mondays-grocery shopping
Tuesday-laundry
Wednesdays-NOTHING!! A free day (except the daily stuff)
Thursday-BIG CLEANING DAY!!! This day I scrub down the bathrooms, mop the floors, and dusting
Friday-laundry
Saturday-FREE DAY!! This day I spend with my DH and my kids
Sunday-We are true to observing the Sabbath! We go to church, come home and eat lunch, the we have a family nap. After nap we have personal time with the Lord (prayer, meditation, scripture study, etc), then we have dinner and more family time! We don't do any work on Sunday excpet for cleaning up the kitchen after meals!

As needed-
vacuuming, washing finger prints off of windows, walls, etc! Whenever there is a mess, I clean it up! There are times when I don't stick to the schedule....I might clean the bathrooms on Friday, but I try my best to stick to this schedule as it works for us!!!

CelticJourney
04-21-2005, 05:27 PM
When dd1 was little and dh was in Bosnia for 8 months, I developed a schedule because it helped me NOT do so much. It was easier for me to just stop and play with the baby because I got a,b, and c done that day and d,e, and f were on TOMORROW's list. Otherwise I was trying so hard to keep busy that I was cleaning things that weren't really that dirty rather than relaxing and spending playtime with my little one.

So a schedule works both ways depending on your general personality.

Wikolia
04-22-2005, 11:23 PM
I have a weekly schedule I stick too. I grew up in a chaotic home and feel physically uncomfortable if my house is messy. I do have the ability to shut the door on a messy room though! :)

Monday-focus on outside stuff-projects, weeding, etc. Mon. nights are at gymnastics for both my kids. Mondays are my off days otherwise
Tuesday-make up grocery list at night after kids in bed, kids do a trash can chore, dd waters plants for me. also try to make a nice dinner this night, as opposed to throwing stuff together
Wednes-grocery shop, more yard stuff, laundry, help out in dd's class, have gym class in eve. (dd is a gymnast) dinner that night is usually toast and scrambled eggs
Thurs-I usually work in AM til early PM, afterwards just hang out with kids and cook dinner, also try to do a toy pickup with kids in prep for next day (stuff like games, projects they've been working on (Tues. and Thurs. I try to make really nice dinners) dd will also sometimes swiffer my bedroom (it's a laminate floor)
Friday-my big cleaning day! do some home preschool stuff with ds in AM, then let him watch a video while I clean. I usually clean my house all on Friday, plus laundry again!-I usually don't finish this up til late at night. My ds is 3 so he watches a disney movie. I work quickly, lol! I clean bathrooms, mop, clean countertops and vaccuum (usually after the video is over) Bathrooms I clean first, any dusting is done last. I do try to focus on different areas each week. Friday is also watering day for outside plants-fruit trees, landscape trees, garden, and grape vines.
Saturday-with family, weekend projects galore, go out or make a nice dinner
Sunday-church, and Bible study with dd in eve. dh cooks dinner Sun. night (it's either pancakes or waffles)

daily stuff-dishes, dh helps with that. dh also helps with toy pick-up. My dd feeds some of the animals, I feed the dogs. My dh has a home office, and I wish he would keep it a bit neater, but I can close the door. I also try to work on bills one night a week

I do alot of stuff on Fridays!
Vicki

Wikolia
04-22-2005, 11:35 PM
I should have also added that when my kids were younger, I had to break up the housecleaning on different days. It has gotten easier now that they are older.
Vicki

MrsJS
04-24-2005, 06:26 PM
Okay, how do you get your little ones to help? My boys have their days, where they will help pick up, but I would like to start having them help more. Does anyone have any suggestions?????? Thanks!

asher
05-02-2005, 10:50 PM
I love Motivated Moms, too. I have to say I didn't have much discipline before now. We're actually doing The Excellent Wife, which sounds a lot like your book akmyilee & it helped me to come to many of the same realizations. Motivated Moms gives me something to try to aspire to & reminds me of things I may not clean otherwise :D

GrowingInGrace
05-04-2005, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't say we have a schedule really, but that kind of goes with the rest of our lives. Very fluid.

week days we:

pick up toys and laundry
do laundry
do dishes
prepare some of the next day's foods
generally declutter
vacuum
do maintenance gardening (weeds, etc)

Thursday and Friday (our preparation day) we:

do extra laundry that may need to be done
prepare church clothes
prepare all Sabbath meals
do the deeper "cleaning" (toilets, etc)

Sabbath:

we rest!!!!! It sure is nice having a clean house then!

Sundays we:

do the major gardening (planting, building, etc)
mow the lawn
wash the bedding or other major laundry
precook things such as a crock of soup or large pot of beans or gluten for the week
grocery shop

At this point (we haven't always had good home routines) we need to frequently remind the twins to help. We've been doing better since we had Noah so he's always wanted to help clean.

Wikolia
05-06-2005, 10:30 PM
we have certain days that the kids do their "chores" Tues. is always trash can emptying day, since Wed. is or trash pickup day.

Thurs. nights is general pickup the toys, since Fri. is cleaning day.

The kids are supposed to put away their own clothes, after I fold them.

Dd can earn money for washing pots, watering plants, etc. She has a daily routine of feeding fish, cat, and is supposed to make her bed. On weekends I don't care (about the bedmaking part)

My dh is essential in establishing/maintaining the routine. My kids are 3 and 7. and no, it isn't always a well-oiled machine.
Vicki

sarahtar
05-20-2005, 12:51 PM
Here's our routine. I do follow it. I go nuts if my house gets too disorderly.

Each week is a different zone (flylady's influence).
- Entries
- Living and dining rooms
- sunroom and kitchen
- bedrooms and bathroom
- basement

Each day I do 1-3 tasks in each zone. (3 short tasks, 1 long task, etc.) I dont' do the 15 minutes because, well, I just don't. Yesterday, I washed the windows in my bedroom, today I'll do DS's bedroom windows.

Each day, I wash the dishes immediately upon awakening. We don't have a dishwasher and it's easier to wash dishes daily than let them stack up. I can do 5 minutes daily. I can't do 30 minutes every third day.

Each day, I check my Daily Four:
- How is the laundry, including diapers?
- Does the garbage need to be taken out?
- What are we having for dinner?
- Do I need to pick up? ( the answer is always Yes)

Each night before bed, I make a mad dash through the house, tossing toys where they go, stacking books, putting tupperware back in the cupboard, etc.

Each week, on Friday or Saturday, I take care of things like:
- good whole-house pick up
- take basket of misc stuff that is upstairs but should be downstairs downstairs where it belongs
- toilet, sink, and shower

Each Monday, I balance the checkbook, pay bills, and answer email.

Spirit of the Home
05-26-2005, 04:06 AM
Well I see I am coming on board after every one else has moved on but I just have something to say about this one ;).
My mother worked so most of the housecleaning fell onto me. There were 8 in our family and I was the one that did not like having friends over with the dirty house. So I cleaned heavy duty if I wanted to invite someone over.
When I was first married I kept an immaculate see yourself in the waxed floors house :cool
When my children were little I tried to keep up with this style of housekeeping but Crystal cured me of the floors. Every time I would mop and wax, she would spill something major :hissyfit on my see yourself in the floor job. After several times of this I did not like my attitude so I changed my expectations. :-). Since it was a choice I was not embarrased by it :hugheart. I prayed and asked God to just let me have a home people could relax and be comfortable in. :grouphug.
Then during pregnancy # 3 I found I had a harder time keeping up because I believed that the children would be gone soon[ and they were] and I didn' want to miss a moment of fun with them.
We didn't have the flylady and People began to tell me how comfortable they felt in my home :tu.
During the years from my childhood to date I moved 61 times, so most of my major cleaning was at moving time :-). So when we moved into our last home of 18 years, that was my challenge, to learn how to spring clean :rolleyes.
Then I got a job that brought lots of boxes into the home, so now I just got a bigger home where they don' take up the whole living space. :highfive
I also believe in helping my daughter and son that have children and try to clean something every time I visit. ie do the dishes , swish the toilet brush around vacuum etc. They have let me know they appreciate this so I don't feel like I am insulting them or intruding. I see how wonderful the dgc are turning out so I like helping this way. :hug

Before this turns into a novel this is a poem I just read and hope it blesses you.
"This is a Home Where Children Live.
Judith Bond
You may not find things all in place,
Friend when you enter here.
But we're a home where children live,
We hold them very dear.
And you may find small fingerprints
And smudges on the wall.
When the kids are gone we'll clean them up ,
Right now we're playing ball.
For theres one thing of which we're sure,
These children are on loan.
One day they're always underfoot,
Next thing you know they're grown.
That's when we'll have a well-kept house,
When they're off on their own.
Right now, this is where children live,
A loved and lived-in home."
I,m thankful for flylady but I am also set free from see yourself in the floors attitude :highfive
Love Karmen

asher
05-26-2005, 08:02 AM
Awesome inspiration & poem, Karmen. THANKS! I'm going to go play w/ my son now. :D

Tina

sarahtar
05-26-2005, 11:05 AM
LOL - at least right now, cleaning IS playing with my son! He thinks the broom is a special toy that mama only gets out at special times. He loves to use the feather duster as his own mini broom, following me around as I sweep. Any time I get 3 crumbs in a pile, he's right there, scattering them around for me!

He enjoys when I dust, too, and went nuts as I was cleaning the windows. Mostly it was a game of Hide The Soapy Water Bowl From Wally, but he thought it was great fun.

13 month olds are pretty easy, though!

gracieannsmom
05-29-2005, 01:21 PM
During the years from my childhood to date I moved 61 times, so most of my major cleaning was at moving time . So when we moved into our last home of 18 years, that was my challenge, to learn how to spring clean .

Oh my gosh Spirit of the Home....you must have been a military child to have moved that many times! God bless you for keeping up with all that!

ArmsOfLove
05-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Actually, she was the daughter of a minister who moved around and set up new churches and then a military wife--I was the military brat and had the joy of moving and never learning how to spring clean until the last few years :P

Is The Excellent Wife the book? :shrug Does she have some program that goes with it? I do not like that book at all. Is Motivated Moms similar doctrinally? I've gotten a lot out of flylady but right now I don't want all the emails so I'm not getting any daily encouragement.

asher
05-30-2005, 08:29 AM
Yes, The Excellent Wife is a book by Martha Peace & a Bible Study. I don't agree w/ everything the book reads, but it's been helpful in a lot of areas w/ my relationship w/ dh. :D

Motivated Moms has daily reminders w/ emails or you can purchase a schedule OL that downloads & you print it out. It just has a daily list of things that's recommended you do around the house (i.e. make beds, sweep kitchen, etc.) & then diff't things for you to do daily each week (i.e. on Sundays you clip coupons & change bath/kitchen hand towels). I find it helpful b/c I need more of a schedule of things to keep me on track :D

Tina

ArmsOfLove
05-30-2005, 09:49 AM
I'll have to check out the Motivated Moms site. Thanks :)

Punkie
06-01-2005, 07:09 AM
Here's the yahoo group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MotivatedMom/

Its free and announcement-only. They send out the exact same thing that's in the ebook...

Spirit of the Home
06-01-2005, 08:49 PM
gracieannsmom
Hi most people think that I was a child in a military family because of all the moves but I was a wife of a military man. :tu
My daddy was a preacher that was raised in the circus, The wonderlust was in him from moving so much in the circus as a child, and he would just get a whim to move on one day and we would be packing the next. It was a big adventure to me :smile. God used him to minister to small hurting churches that had people that loved the pastor that just left, He would get their focus on God so they could keep going no matter who their preacher was. He did this while still having a lot of fun with the people and they loved him also but their priority was in the right place. :amen
I guess there are more ways that housekeeping to clean up :giggle
Karmen

joyfulmomof2
06-04-2005, 08:13 AM
deleted

raquel
06-06-2005, 05:07 AM
I have to be another Motivated Moms seconder. I was trying to follow FlyLady but while my daily routines were happening I just never got around to doing Zone work. With the Motivated Moms thing I still do "routines" (which gets all the daily chores done anyway) and then when I can I try and get to the tasks which are usually pretty easy. Also, it's a bit more relaxed in terms of how much "cleaning" you do. I like it. I also like having only ONE page to look at each week rather than the many many pages with FlyLady. I guess I've "morphed" FlyLady and Motivated Moms. It's working well....but lets see how I go when I add a baby to the equation! :) Lol.... :giggle

Grover
06-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Motivated mom here too. :heart

Lantern Light Mama
08-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Oh jeeze. Hey Jenn! Our routines are the same. Only im very fond of a clean kitchen but DH's idea of clean is if the dishes are actually done. :giggle I need a routine just to keep me going though! :shifty

Tulip_Plus_3
08-20-2005, 07:29 PM
HERE ARE MY DAILY "MUST DO'S":

Morning
* Start a load of laundry
* Have everything for dinner?
* Reboot laundry?
* Empty dishwasher

Naptime
* Clean up kitchen
* Start dinner?
* HOT SPOTS!
* Zone work

Evening
* Shine the sink
* Corral toys!
* Clean up kitchen
* Start dishwasher
* HOT SPOTS!
* Zone work

HERE IS MY WEEKLY SCHEDULE. I DON'T USUALLY GET EVERYTHING DONE EVERY SINGLE DAY, BUT SINCE THIS IS A WEEKLY SCHEDULE IT'S OKAY, THE HOUSE DOESN'T EVER SEEM DIRTY WHEN I'M CONSISTENT:

Monday
□ Mop entrance floor
□ Feather dust the whole house
□ Sweep front porch
□ Clean & polish dining room table
□ Vacuum upstairs
□ Refill bird feeders
□ Sweep & mop kitchen floor
□ Clean inside microwave

Tuesday
□ Clean children’s bathroom toilet & floor
□ Clean children’s bathroom sink, counter, mirror
□ Straighten children’s clothing
□ Vacuum main floor

Wednesday
□ Clean laundry room toilet
□ Clean laundry room sink, counter, mirror
□ Vacuum downstairs (also on Saturday)

Thursday
□ Refill bottles, containers, & shelves
□ Plan menu for next week
□ Finalize grocery list (check veggies in fridge)
□ Clean & polish windowsills
□ Vacuum upstairs
□ Pay bills
□ Quicken (including debit transaction receipts)
□ Correspondence & cards
□ Cull/toss magazines & catalogs

Friday
□ Clean master bathroom toilet & floor
□ Clean master bathroom sinks, counter, mirror
□ Clean out refrigerator (one shelf a week)
□ Vacuum main floor
□ Change linens in all bathrooms

I ALSO HAVE MY MONTHLY FLYLADY ZONE TASKS, BUT THEY WOULD MAKE THIS POST WAAAAAAAAY TOO LONG!!! I DON'T MAKE ZONE WORK A BIG PRIORITY BECAUSE I HAVE THREE PRECIOUS CHILDREN TO MOTHER, AND THAT TAKES A LOT OF TIME & EFFORT!

RachamMama
09-01-2005, 12:15 PM
I love having a clean house and get a strange thrill from making schedules :O, but have recently accepted the fact that I'm horrible at *following* them when they get too detailed. We do try to have a general flow to our day, but it's a flexible flow! ;)

I clean a room or two per day, straighten up/clean for 30 minutes in the morning and 20 in the evening. Dh cleans the kitchen so this is enough to keep everything liveable.

CelticJourney
09-01-2005, 12:38 PM
strange thrill from making schedules , but have recently accepted the fact that I'm horrible at *following* them

Isn't it funny. It's like making a 'straw man' to rebel against. 'I know I said to vacuum on Monday, but who cares what I say, I'm going to vacuum on Tuesday and dare myself to say anything about it'

RachamMama
09-01-2005, 12:40 PM
strange thrill from making schedules , but have recently accepted the fact that I'm horrible at *following* them

Isn't it funny. It's like making a 'straw man' to rebel against. 'I know I said to vacuum on Monday, but who cares what I say, I'm going to vacuum on Tuesday and dare myself to say anything about it'

:lol I haven't thought about it this way before, but I think you may be right!

Kcross
09-26-2005, 08:47 AM
This may have already been shared, but check out www.flylady.com
A wonderful, supportive way to organize your cleaning, and house, I am a new flybaby too, but its been great so far!!

Karen, Mommy to 2 CUTE bugs!!!

CakeLady
09-26-2005, 08:51 AM
Great ideas....I am really struggling at keeping the house tidy.

Mama-to-3
10-26-2005, 01:51 AM
I realise this is a very old subject but I wanted to add one more idea. A Plan of Attack (or APOA) is a group on Yahoo groups that helps you to set up your own chore listing. The group is actually a 3 week course that takes you step by step thru creating your own plan. I copied FlyLady's idea a little in that I sort my chores by Zone (area of house) but some others sorted theirs by type of job eg windows, washing, floors, etc.

There is an ongoing support group for after you have made your own POA and I found some great ideas there on how to put together a schedule that suited me.

Good luck,
Jennifer in Tasmania, Australia

CelticJourney
10-26-2005, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the additional resource and welcome aboard Mama-to-3

tinybutterfly
10-27-2005, 06:33 PM
Just reading through. Having company this week-end and cleaning up is getting to me... :hissyfit

I did need to read that poem today...I know my house doesn't have to be perfect, but there is a part of me that feels guilty that I can't seem to keep it really clean anymore, even though I KNOW that having my dc and dh help is good for us all, and that clean enough is fine.

It's interesting to see all the different schedules and what works for different people. Thanks!

Jillian
12-31-2005, 01:58 PM
AM
- swipe bathroom (after shower)
- think about meals for day
- start, switch, fold and put away laundry throughout the day

PM
after dinner:
- kitchen (load dishes, clear and wipe counters, empty trash, sweep/mop floor)
- ready for tomorrow (check calendar, lay out clothes, pack lunch/snacks, etc.)
before bed:
- straighten up (collect laundry, dishes, shoes, trash, toys, sweep & spray, empty d/w)
- swipe powder room

Monday
- scrub bathrooms
- one chore, as needed (woodwork, windows, appliances, light fixtures/fans, etc.)

Friday
- banking and bills
- car wash
- gas station
- milk store

fruitofthewomb
01-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Thank you all for sharing your schedules! My life is much more manageable as a result of using some of your schedules to make a template, and revising it to meet my needs. I have been feeling completely overwhelmed, like a cartoon character who is constantly running down the hallway that keeps getting longer and longer, and now I have a sense of accomplishment or am just able to stop when I can look at my schedule and know that I've done at least some of what was on for that day. Thanks!! :highfive

joyfulmomof2
01-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Edited again to reflect a change in my schedule:

My Weekly Plan

(Taking care of, playing with, teaching and feeding dc are all considered a given in my list.)

Sunday:
Church
To Do List
Baths, stories, lights out
Me time

Monday:
Laundry
To Do List
Get ready for work the next day
Me time

Tuesday:
Work

Wednesday:
Work

Thursday:
Work
Me time

Friday:
To Do List
Clean the house
Laundry
Stories, lights out
Me time

Saturday:
To Do List
Stories, lights out
Me time

Taedareth
01-16-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm trying the "Sidetracked Home Executive" system. Has anyone else?

Michelle-Lea
01-25-2006, 02:23 PM
My routine isn't really a routine as much as a daily maintenance.Have a 2 year old and 3 month old twins makes cleaning quite difficult. :lol: I do what I call my morning and evening sweeps..

Get up, make bed
Get DS's up, they make their bed and get dressed
Eat breakfast
DS #1 goes to school
Feed babies, put down for tummy time
Go through all the rooms gathering what doesn't belong and putting it back, wash morning dishes, start a load of laundry and vacuum if needed.
I'm usually done with this by 10 or so, then I feel free to play with the twins/DS #2

We have lunch and I wash dishes up
Then it's story time and naptime

DS#1 comes home from school
We talk about our days and review any school things/do homework
We make dinner and eat
We do dishes and put them away
DS's play
Bathtime
Bible/bedtime

Then, I make another sweep just like I do in the morning. My house isn't perfect, but it's presentable and de-cluttered. And, with as much as I have going on right now, I'm happy with it. :)

Linnis
02-12-2006, 11:47 PM
I do housework in 15 minute chunks, not only because being a SAHW and taking care of my nephew I have active rheumatoid arthritis. Keeps me from over doing it.

Like I'll empty the dishwasher, load it again, & wash any big dishes(AKA pots, pans, mixing bowls)

I'll do something else and come back and clean off the counters, table and sinks, collect trash.

Take a break to message board, then I'll clean the bathroom.

Cleaning the kitchen and dishes happens 2-3 times a day, normally I only load the dishwasher after dinner or on bread making day I do two loads.

Bathroom gets done once a week and touched up when needed. Dusting gets done once a week as well as mopping floors.

Vacuming gets done 3-4 days a week because I have two asthmatics.

AmyS
02-21-2006, 11:37 AM
:blushI am not a great house keeper. However, when I feel the need to take action and reaaly get it under control I like Fly Lady. You even get e-mail reminders. Otherwise, we have a GI party (as in GI Joe) once a week for 1/2 the house at a time.

RealLifeMama
02-21-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm trying the "Sidetracked Home Executive" system. Has anyone else?

I love that system and that book.
I haven't used it in a long time but it really worked for me when I did.

reneeber
02-28-2006, 08:54 AM
I haven't read all the replies, so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not.

I use the schedule from Motivated Moms - http://www.motivatedmoms.com/ It's awesome, and you can buy it and then download it from their website. You can also choose to get one that includes a daily Bible reading plan.

I don't do it perfectly, but it helps keep me more on track.

reneeber
02-28-2006, 08:54 AM
I haven't read all the replies, so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not.

I use the schedule from Motivated Moms - http://www.motivatedmoms.com/ It's awesome, and you can buy it and then download it from their website. You can also choose to get one that includes a daily Bible reading plan.

I don't do it perfectly, but it helps keep me more on track.

HA
04-28-2006, 04:45 PM
:popcorn Keeping a Schedule to list down what should be made priority for each day seems to be the best way to do things by setting a goal before you as something to reach or aim toward.

Blessings,

Dee

KatieMae
07-06-2006, 08:06 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE these posts about how we 'do it all' (or not sometimes! :P~) Simple, Daily Maintenance is the key to never having to do a "project" to get a clean room in your house.

Here's my main idea for housekeeping; I keep it on an index card on the fridge, right at eye level so I always see it...

Monday
* Thorough vacuum of the downstairs
* Laundry (2 loads + sheets + towels)

Tuesday
* Finish sheets/towels (if needed)
* Clean one of the two upstairs baths (while kids play after their bath; These bathrooms are little-used, so I alternate weeks)

Wednesday
* Quick vacuum (high-traffic areas)
* Sweep kitchen & powder room

Thursday
* Meal plan & make grocery list
* Dust downstairs
* Clean powder room

Friday
* Laundry (3 loads + rugs from kitchen/baths)
* Quick vacuum (high-traffic areas) in evening

Weekend
* All shopping done first-thing on Saturday morning w/ DH & children (I mean early, we leave around 7:30am - there are so few people in the stores - it's a great time to shop! No lines at the check-out & you'll get personal attention when you need help)
* Mop kitchen & powder room floor (while DH keeps children occupied!)
* Once a month, I dust & vacuum upstairs (we're only up there to sleep so it doesn't get very dirty at all)
* NOTE: I used to try to do all my big cleaning (floors, bathrooms, etc) on the weekend, but I never got to it b/c I wanted to spend time with my family, so I've decided to spread it out easily throughout the week and now it's done and I can still have our time together.

My Daily Tidy Routine - I especially love doing a "Reset" at the end of the day
* Morning: empty dishwasher while oatmeal cooks
* Quickly hand-wash any dishes that didn't get in the dishwasher the previous night (like large pans, which were WELL-RINSED the night before)
* Throughout the day, as soon as a meal/snack/baking is done, the dishes go into the dishwasher, keeping the counters clear
* Pick up toys when the kids are eating snacks/meals (mine are too young to really "help" much, but when they're older, THEY will pick up at these times also)
* At naptime, I sit relax & enjoy my tidy living room!
* Also, throughout the day, anything that needs to go upstairs is put in the basket we have next to the stairs & I take it up with us at bathtime and I immediately put the items wherever they belong.
* At bathtime, I get each room ready for bed - putting toys away, fluffing pillows, pulling back sheets (note: I never make our beds b/c the kids nap in them mid-day, so it's pretty useless at this point, but again, when they're older this WILL be done)
* "THE RESET": When DH takes Lucas to bed, I pick up & put away their toys as well as make sure all dinner dishes are in the dishwasher or rinsed & on the counter for the morning hand-wash; run the dishwasher. Also, make sure DH's lunch is ready to go for the morning.I go to bed with a clean house & when I come down in the morning I'm not depressed by all the work I already have to do from the previous day.

NEmomof4
08-13-2006, 06:07 PM
What I can handle as far as routine is pretty basic but it makes me feel good when I know if it's not bathroom day, I don't have to clean the bathroom etc.
Monday-Wednesday-Friday - Laundry +weekends if it is excessive
Tuesday - Bathrooms
Thursday - Floors
Those are the main ones for me but every morning we do family clean up where we get the general tidy done and I do the extras like dusting only when I'm having important company :O

jollygreen
11-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Clean (shovel?) for one hour after my morning workout. Then mad scramble when DH calls on his way home - gives me a 30-minute window - to get things appearing tidy. I really need to do something more comprehensive, as kiddo #3 is on his/her way... Inspire me, ladies!

Drew
01-12-2007, 07:01 AM
This thread is exacly wha I need! We just moved into our new house and I'm terrified that it is going to get our of control. We couldn't even manage to keep our apartment clean half the time. :shifty

Quietspirit
01-12-2007, 08:22 AM
I completely plagarized KatieMae :O and used her schedule as a template and added my own things to it. I hope that's okay! I loved how you had it set up. :heart

Anyway, here is my schedule and I'm loving it!

Monday
* Vacuum downstairs
* Laundry (2 loads + sheets + towels)
* Make beds with clean sheets
* Put out new towels

Tuesday
* Clean upstairs baths
* Laundry (2 loads)

Wednesday
* Laundry (2 loads)
* Sweep kitchen & powder room
*Vacuum upstairs

Thursday
* Laundry (2 loads)
* Clean powder room

Friday
* Meal plan & make grocery list
* Laundry (2 loads + bath rug and pillows)
* Vacuum upstairs

Weekend
* All shopping done first-thing on Saturday morning
* Mop kitchen & powder room floor

My Daily Tidy Routine - I especially love doing a "Reset" at the end of the day
* Boys responsible for their chores morning and afternoon
* Quickly hand-wash any dishes that didn't get in the dishwasher the previous night (like large pans, which were WELL-RINSED the night before)
* Throughout the day, as soon as a meal/snack/baking is done, the dishes go into the dishwasher, keeping the counters clear
*Make A’s lunch for next day; check that papers are signed and ready for school
* "THE RESET": I make sure all dinner dishes are in the dishwasher or rinsed & on the counter for the morning hand-wash; run the dishwasher. Any stray toys are put away at this time also. Montessori area is straightened.

anitajoye
01-20-2007, 10:13 PM
So, if I notice we have a problem we work on it till no one thinks about picking things up. Like I find myself cleaning the bathroom if I'm in there with the kids or if I'm cooking I clean the kitchen or put away dishes.

Heather

I actually am writing up a formal schedule because I am starting 15 hours at the university , have 2 kids, and want to keep my life straight! But I agree with this, often, While brushing my teeth I will wipe the sink, if the kids are in the bath I will clean the toilet, etc... If I am on the phone I will do spare dishes....But like I said, I am going to have to tighten up a bit, instead of having whole days to do things, i will need to be more deliberate, which is why I clicked on this thread!
Anyone BTDT with full time school with 2 small ones? I am open to tips! VERY OPEN.
-AnitaJoye

hey mommy
01-21-2007, 12:45 AM
Count me in with those that are :hiding :blush

Yep, me too......

akmyilee
01-21-2007, 07:12 AM
Everyday chores

Pick up living room
Pick up TV room
Load dishwasher
Unload dishwasher
Feed and water the cat
Take out trash

Weekly chores

Monday
Vacuum upstairs
Take out ALL trash
Feed fish – change water

Tuesday
Laundry
Clean out cat box

Wednesday
Clean bathrooms
Change sheets (1/3 week)
Sweep downstairs (2/4 week)
Water plants

Thursday
Clean playroom
Wash sheets/towels/diapers

Friday
Sweep kitchen
Wipe down kitchen cabinets
Clean out fridge

This is my lastest version...........I made a whole chore system, with cards and pockets and tons of stuff I plan to us when I have more / older kids. right now I am just in maintence mode though as I am in my 1st trimester and my husband is working 60+ hours a week. It is a season though, right? :)

Mamatoto
01-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Since I haven't posted since March...

We've sort of fallen into this routine where I do clean every day but I also don't schedule my cleaning for each day before the beginning of the week. I've begun to use my Sunday evenings to sit down and write out my homeschooling goals for the week as well as my housecleaning goals depending on what really needs done. So it could look like this:

Monday:
Clean off fridge and microwave
Clean bathroom

Tuesday:
Kitchen floors
Vacuum kid's rooms

It's a very ecclectic list but I'm quite an ecclectic person so it helps me to be organized while allowing creativity to bloom. :lol The next week could be completely different. The basics like washing dishes, laundry, and vacuuming downstairs happen during our morning rhythm before and after homeschooling times. The kids are always in and out helping me...they love to help vacuum and clean the bathroom especially. I try to get things done in the morning after breakfast so it's over with and that feels good for the rest of the day. :rockon I am such a pile person...like my great grandparents...but I think some creative bookish mess isn't a bad thing...I try to tackle one at a time and go through piles while watching TV in the evenings. I remember Elizabeth George saying that it's good to be busy in front of the TV...whether it is doing your nails or cleaning a drawer and I have found this helpful.

Rabbit
01-29-2007, 12:30 AM
I'm doing the Motivated Moms thing, but I had to rework the daily chores. Mine are now labelled Daily Blessings, and this is what I do daily, starting as soon as people are up and moving about in the morning, stopping only as other things need my attention (or I feel like sitting down).

Brush baby teeth (x2)
Read to children
Enjoy floor time with children
Give and take vitamins (x2)
Change over dishwasher
Clean kitchen sink
Clear and wipe kitchen counters
Sweep kitchen
Empty trash
Wipe out bathroom sink
Check cat bowls
Make bed (usually only after nap)
Do laundry
Exercise (supposedly)
Prepare dinner (I ought to add one for breakfast, lunch, and snack, because I have forgotten those before.)
Read Scripture (doing a 365 thing right now)
Lay out tomorrow's clothing (at least for the children, when I need the car the next day and have to drive Josh in to work, or we won't make it.)

Doing all of this everyday means that on Saturday and Sunday, I do just about nothing. And Josh was able to invite somebody over, without us having any panic, hiding stuff behind closed doors, or yelling at each other. There's more stuff to be done everyday, and it's planned out in the MM schedule so that I just do a handful of other things each day, and keep a decluttered, functional home. Clearly, my children are small and not doing any homeschooling yet.

I like this MM plan, because then I don't spend all day wandering around trying to remember what I've already done, what I'm in the middle of doing, what I meant to do, and whether or not something is important or dirty enough to need doing. I was always remembering things too late, forgetting too many important things, and wasting time on stuff that didn't need doing.

blessedmama
02-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Here's what we normally do...

All kids before breakfast:
Make beds
Fold and put away jammies
(Get dressed)

8yo and 6yo after breakfast:
Feed pets
Personal grooming w/younger "bathroom buddy"
Fold and put away one basketful of laundry each
Breakfast cleanup (whoever's not on supper cleanup)
Do chore for that day (things like empty/take out trash; straighten bookshelves; clean out under bed; scrub bathroom sink; dust living room)

The kids are also expected to keep their rooms and play areas straightened throughout the day. "If you get it out, put it back."

2yo and 4yo after breakfast:
Empty dishwasher (I keep all plates and bowls and silverware in lower cupboards so the kids can easily reach them.)
Personal grooming with older "bathroom buddy"
Fold laundry
Later in the day, these two help me set the table for supper.

My chores:
Monday: Scrub kitchen thoroughly; vacuum porch and living room carpets; clean glass doors
Tuesday: Clean upstairs bathrooms; vacuum kids' bedrooms
Wednesday: Straighten basement family room and play area; clean basement bathroom; clean master bedroom
Thursday: Wet mop floors; vacuum porch and living room carpets; dust
Friday: Straighten decks, carport, yard; vacuum kids' bedrooms

Of course, in addition to the above chores, I'm doing the "unwritten chores," like keeping the laundry going, controlling clutter, dry mopping the floor, returning phone calls and emails, wiping countertops, filling the dishwasher, cooking meals, etc. It's true that a woman's work is never done! :yes Thanks to the book Managers of Their Homes by Teri Maxwell, I've been able to keep up with all of this plus homeschooling and daily exercise. (I'm not nearly as rigidly scheduled as she is, but her book really did help me get into gear in the homekeeping area!)

mummy2boys
02-20-2007, 10:22 PM
I need to do a new housekeeping schedule...When I do it I will post it, probably int he next day or so ;)

liamum
02-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Here is my schedule for the new home. I am implementing it slowly and building up over time so I am not completely overwhelmed at the beginning:

Daily:

Pick up toys
Dishwasher
Internet/email time
Kitchen sink
Kitchen counter declutter
empty trash, sanitize can
clean tassimo (as needed)
Check TP supply
Check soap supply
de-clutter bath counters
de-clutter living, dining, TV, breakfast rooms
Declutter bedrooms, bonus, laundry rooms
Make beds (change linens as needed)
Dirty clothes in hampers
cook/clean (including bcksplashes)

Weekly:

Sundays Bathrooms + mop + tubs/showers + trash (+ laundry trash); fresh kitchen towels; sweep porches, patio; sweep laundry room floor.
Mondays - Laundry; Vac &Mop all hardwoods/rugs; change bath hand/reg towels;
Tuesday - Groceries, any left over laundry; fresh kitchen towels; dust around upstairs windows
Wednesdays - sewing/mending day; clean out ; change bath hand/reg towels
Thursdays- Laundry (finish rug vac and mop); fresh kitchen towels; dust around windows (living, dining, TV, kitchen, breakfast, front door); dust pics, knick knacks, etc. lower level.
Fridays - Bathrooms + trash (but not floors) + mirrors; rest of laundry; clean kitchen appliances; change bath hand/reg towels; sweep porches, patio

Bi-weekly:

Dust - around bedroom doors upper level
Mop Laundry room
Wipe down washer/dryer

Monthly/yearly:

Ev. 3 months- descale tassimo
Ev. 3 months - wash/fix marks on walls and steps and outside doors (from Duncan)
Dust/clean all light fixtures - 1/mo
Dust all window treatments 1/mo.
Wash windows in/out lower level + master balcony 1/4 mos.
Clean stair railing 1/mo.
Dust porch/balcony/patio fans/light fixtures 1/ 2 mos.
De-clutter dresser 1/3 mos.
Wash upstairs windows 1/4 mos.
Vac books - 2/yr
Shampoo rugs and upholstry 2/yr
Wax wood furniture 2/yr
A/c filters 1/ 3 mos
Donations 1/ 3 mos.
Walls, baseboards, ceilings - 1/4 mos.

Maggie
02-26-2007, 01:00 AM
Thanks for sharing that, Leigh! DH and I used to have a schedule of that type before we had kids, but we just kind of got out of doing it. I've been wanting to do up a new one. :)

liamum
02-26-2007, 05:21 AM
Thanks for sharing that, Leigh! DH and I used to have a schedule of that type before we had kids, but we just kind of got out of doing it. I've been wanting to do up a new one. :)

Thanks, Maggie :) I've been doing fairly well with it so far, we'll see how it unfolds over time - I am attempting to be both organized, but flexible about it.

eve
03-26-2007, 11:36 PM
wow! thanks for sharing the schedules... this is my last week working so... soon i'll be a sahm... the schedules posted here really help.

i don't know if someone has shared this or not, but i found these sites : http://www.homekeeping101.com and http://www.simplehousekeeping.com

momof4beauties
03-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Thanks for posting both of those. When I have time (funny with 4 kiddies) I'll have to check them out more!! Any tips could help me at this point!!

phathui5
05-17-2007, 09:16 AM
I've decided to go back to doing Motivated Moms next week. I paid for the thing, so I should probably use it.

PaleBlue
08-21-2007, 08:34 AM
I feel really bad when I see all the nice schedules everyone else has...I'm pregnant and subject to waking up nauseous or not sleeping most of the nights but I'm still :blush that we don't (3 yo DD and myself) keep a regular schedule even of breakfast and waking up or bedtime, much less a housekeeping schedule.

I need to work on this!

pastelsummer
09-16-2007, 08:40 PM
one day a week I try to tame a room or set of rooms a different room for each day it goes like this

monday- kitchen, mop floors scrub counters clean fridge

Tuesday- living room, clean off hearth and vacuum

wensday- bedroom and nursery, vacuum bedroom mop nursery wash bedding

Thursday- bathroom, Scrub everything in the room

Friday- office, file, vacuum

Saturday- Dust and sweep cobwebs

in addition everyday i try to

do dishes
one load of laundry
and general pickup of the house.

Thats what it is supposed to be but like most others I am :hiding

Herbwifemama
09-16-2007, 09:46 PM
I am in the process of creating a household notebook, so this is rather timely. :)

Here is what it looks like:

I divided the house into "zones", and I clean one zone a day for the five days of the week. There are some things that need to get done daily too, however. And then some things can be done on a monthly basis (once a month, the weekly "zones" are slightly more thorough than usual. This is not a tried and true schedule, because I'm not living in the home I planned it for yet, but hopefully it will keep me on top of things, and not be too difficult to keep.

Kitchen/Dining:
Daily: dishes, wipe counters, sweep, wipe chairs
Weekly: clear off counters and clean, mop, deodorize sink/drain, change tablecloth
Monthly: clean stove, fridge, windows

Bathrooms:
Daily: spray shower, wipe faucet
Weekly: clean toilet, tub, sink
Monthly: floors and mirror

Living room:
Daily: clutter pickup
Weekly: vacuum (or as needed)
Monthly: dust, windows

Stairs/Hall: vacuum (as needed)

Bedrooms:
Daily: make bed, put away clothes
Weekly: vacuum, change sheets
Monthly: windows

There are other things, like decluttering and cobwebs and such that will happen with even less frequency (prolly biannually), but that's the gist of it.

Currently, I do all of that stuff in about two days once a month. It gets pretty grungy around here before I'm moved to clean, and then I have problems with bugs and mildew, so I"m hoping to prevent those with this schedule.

somanyjoys
11-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Fun thread! I'm new here, so I'm catching up slowly. I'm just ending my first trimester of pregnancy, so my routine has been off for a bit, but here goes:

Daily -- load of laundry, kitchen counters, load dishes into dishwasher as used, run and empty dishwasher as necessary
I start the laundry in the a.m. and move it to the dryer at some point. I fold it around 4:00, do a tidy-up, pick-up around the house, and start dinner.

Mondays -- bathrooms
Tuesdays -- dusting and living areas
Wednesdays -- floors (vacuum carpets, Swiffer hard floors, wet mop every other week)
Thursdays -- rotate bedrooms / office (so that I hit one every few weeks)
Fridays -- catch up or organization / project (closet, holiday decor, etc)

I love the system because my house is always presentable if someone drops by. I did really miss never having that "Ah, the whole house is spotless" feeling. Then, when I was at the height of tiredness and nausea, I hired a couple of ladies to clean the house one time for me. They did a fine job, but I still felt that I could have done it better and even having the whole house "spotless" that one day didn't last long. Made me rustle up the energy to get back into keeping up the house as best I can.

tntmedic
04-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Fun! I tried to figure out my "schedule", but realized I don't think I have one. LOL

That said, we generally always have a clean and tidy house because our daily routine and some general "house rules". AND... I would rather spend most of my time playing with baby than cleaning, so we try to keep things simple. Our routine usually goes something like this:

First thing in the morning, the dirty dipes go in the washing machine and are line drying by breakfast, followed by our daily laundry being done throughout our day. And the bed gets made as soon as we get up.
We keep a "clean as you go" rule in the house which means cleaning the kitchen after each meal (countertops, dishes) and putting toys away before pulling out new toys to play with. "Clean as you go" also means that laundry gets put away as it gets folded (um, MOST of the time!)

Depending on weather and other daily activities (like getting out to the park, library, play groups, etc) we either have breakfast and head out, or get one of our "big" cleaning things done, like cleaning the bathroom, vacuuming, washing floors, whatever. Floors get done at least twice a week, bathrooms once a week, and dusting once a week. We try to keep on top of the little messes so we don't have BIG messes later (like wiping up spills in the fridge right away or using a "touch it once" policy when it comes to putting things away where they belong) but the BIG things that do come up, I usually try to squeeze in during my husband's "Daddy Time" when it needs to be done.

Clutter happens, but we have a few rules to manage it.
-The "one basket rule": Kids are only allowed to have all the toys that can fit in one basket per child. This rule is great for disuading well-meaning grandparents who bring gifts all the time, as well as reducing whining for new stuff. The older kids understand that if they want a new toy, they have to get rid of an old one to make room for the new one. Simply asking "Which toy will you be donating to Goodwill if we buy this one?" usually makes them think about whether or not they REALLY want the new item.
-The "End of the Day rule": means all the toys have to be in the baskets by the end of the day, and tucked away where they belong.
Grown-ups have to have thier clutter stored by the end of the day, too!
-The "Everything has a Place Rule": means everything has a specific place it goes. If we don't have a space for it, it doesn't come in!

bananacake
06-20-2008, 07:05 PM
You guys are all so detailed & organized! Do you actually do all those things? Some of the things you do daily & weekly, I rarely do monthly :shifty

kakrmom
08-20-2008, 09:20 AM
I HAVE to have a schedule for everything or NOTHING gets done! The kids and I do basic pickups all day as we're finished with stuff, My older ds and I make our beds and straighten our rooms right after breakfast in the morning and otherwise my days look like this:
Monday: Wash 2 loads of kids clothes & Clean Kitchen
Tuesday: Wash 2 loads of adult clothes & Clean Bathroom
Wednesday: Wash 2 loads of towels/sheets/blankets & Clean Family Room
Thursday: Wash 2 loads of adult clothes & Clean LR
Friday: Wash 2 loads of kids clothes, Vaccuum Bedrooms & Run Errands

I do my washing and deep cleaning in the afternoons while my kids are sleeping. All that said.....I by no means keep up with my schedule the way I would like to, but if I didn't have one I wouldn't end up doing much of anything besides wondering around overwhelmed wondering what in the world to do next! :)

Anani
08-20-2008, 09:32 AM
I was just thinking about this yesterday! I need a good schedule to STICK to.

I am gonna go back and read all the replies now.

Joyful Mommy
09-16-2008, 09:52 AM
I don't have a schedule per se, but do things when they need to get done, and that TENDS to be on the same day of each week, but not always. I am trying to crack down on it a little bit more, and have a routine that we can follow...

boobymummy
03-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Ditto Jenn, only my table is covered in (more) laundry. The book shelf is in bubs room - the only tidy room in the house prob coz he doesn't sleep there. Correct that - its messy now because after 4 nights of no sleep we both slept on the floor in there last night, leaving dh to snore his brains out in peace in our room. Its hard to keep the house clean whilst carrying a 9kg 6month old. Also, its easy to put a load of washing on, harder to take that load out and hang it and later get it off the line AND fold it.

I try to get out of the house most days. It is very hot where I live (and humid) which makes it extra hard, carrying bub and doing housework with our sweat combined. Also... am I the only mum of a 6month old who doesn't get to sit down in peace for 'only 10 minutes' to fold laundry? I spose I could do it while he is sleeping, but Im usually sleeping myself then or in the car out of the house.

My only routine is my son usually awakens at around 6am and wont be boobied back to sleep anymore, so we get up for an hour or so. He goes in his play station while I get some musli (granola). Then I sit and 'talk' to him in his playstation for about 15mins. Then we take the compost out (I usually put the dinner scraps in the fridge overnight), showing Asher the plants and veggies growing haphazardly outside. Let him play with the wind chime and have a chew on it lol. Let him chew on the rainbow garden flag also. Have a shower together. Booby to sleep, and have a nap with him. If that doesn't work I put him in my home made carrier and try to do some laundry until he gets bored and complains. I try to let him touch and explore whatever he is interested in around the house, delaying what I want to 'get done'. Usually more mess gets made then cleaned, a carrier left here, a play mat left there, a chewed on seed packet cast to the floor while I wasn't looking. Etc.

Then hubby gets home around 8am and he usually half grumbles and half happily holds Asher while I rush off to throw some clothes on or straighten my hair or put deodorant on. 5mins break max. Then Steve wants to sleep. Im usually hot and bothered by this stage and my back is sore and I want to get out of the house.

We visit in laws, I take Asher swimming while steve films surfers down the beach (his other job) or I entertain asher under the umbrella down the beach for a few hours. We buy a smoothie. We go home. Its ridiculously hot inside, I wipe the benches and spray bleach in the shower whilst thinking how bad it is for the environment and my health but how I never manage to keep completely on top of the mould and I wish I could find the time or energy or desire to be truthful to prioritise scrubbing it down with some bi carb soda concoction.

Asher might be too awake to sleep so I carry him over to the shops.

At night I might make dinner or just have more cereal. Steve puts the dishes in the dishwasher (out of sight out of mind) and leaves it for a week until black with mould no matter how many times I ask him to actually DO the dishes. And then he puts the cycle on and can't be bothered getting them out so they end up getting washed about 3 times before coming out. EWWW. At least he keeps his clothes in his cupboard in order...

Hmm, not feeling very Christian right now. Complaining about my husband. I love being a mum and I prioritise time with my son over housework. But I feel pressure to do more of both.

Bookworm13
03-09-2009, 06:58 AM
I am inspired by those of you who have a daily schedule. I tried it once, but couldn't stick to it. I think I'm going to give it another shot. I always feel guilty cleaning instead of playing with the boys though. :/

--Stephanie

raquel
03-09-2009, 09:20 PM
I am inspired by those of you who have a daily schedule. I tried it once, but couldn't stick to it. I think I'm going to give it another shot. I always feel guilty cleaning instead of playing with the boys though. :/

--Stephanie

I completely get this feeling too! I've tried scheduling times throughout the day where I'm specifically interacting/playing with Shelby and times when she's playing independently. She loves the attention but I think it's also her "job" to play and learn through play whereas it's not necessarily my job to play with her so much as facilitate it. That means I might set her up with some toys and play a bit so she knows how it works but then leave her to explore, play and do her thing as well. I also try not to schedule more than 1-2 hours of housework besides meal prep and laundry work per day. Most of the time my "extra" housework takes no more than 40 minutes following the Motivated Moms schedule (that's not including the Daily Chores which I fit in at set times of the day eg Morning, Afternoon and Evening Routines). Good luck trying a daily schedule again!

OkiMom
04-16-2009, 11:40 PM
I really need to get a home keeping schedule. I had one once upon a time before nursing took up 75% of my time. So, heres what Im thinking of.. who knows if its going to work

Cleaning:
Monday: Kitchen/laundry area, make list of anything that we are out of
Tuesday: Living/dining room
Wednesday: Playroom/Den/Master bedroom
Thursday: Bathroom and hallway
Friday: catch up with anything I missed, prep for the weekend, meal plan for the next week
Saturday and Sunday are off days so I can enjoy time with my husband and girls.

Laundry:
Monday: DD1's bed linens, Girls clothing, Diapers
Tuesday: Our bed linens (except extra blankets), DH and My clothes
Wednesday: One extra blanket, Whites, Diapers
Thursday: The other extra blanket, towels
Friday: Diapers and anything else that needs to be caught up on
Saturday: Diapers again (I don't like doing laundry on Sunday, its my day of no house work- well very little at least), DH's uniforms

Daily:
Dishes
Sweeping (it needs to be done more than once a day here, the floors are dust magnets)
Wipe down counters
Quick bathroom wipe down (I don't like a dirty bathroom)
Take out trash
Cooking/baking
Wipe down table
Put away toys, tidy playroom

I think that's everything.

raquel
04-17-2009, 12:29 AM
That looks like a really good and completely doable plan OkiMom! :rockon I like your laundry plan. I'm thinking I need to work out a laundry schedule too. Well, once the newborn comes and we start cloth diapering again it'll be essential--at the moment I can get away with just doing bits and pieces as I think of it but I remember being overwhelmed at times trying to do that when I added cloth diapers to the mix. Off to start a thread for more ideas on how others make it work.

OkiMom
04-17-2009, 04:36 AM
Thanks Raquel!
I do a lot of diaper laundry since we barely have enough for two days of normal use (so if shes peeing/pooping a lot its more like daily laundry). What Ive found out works really well for me is I gather up the diapers and throw them in the wash as I go to sleep at night. Then when I get up to work out I put them through another wash this time without detergent. When I'm done working out I throw the diapers in the dryer and then go about my business. By the time I shower, get dress and make breakfast the diapers are ready for the day.

raquel
04-17-2009, 04:10 PM
That's a very good system! I'll have to remember that. Part of the problem for me and diaper washing is the walking up and down the 30 steps of our unit block to the laundry for the three stages of diaper washing (rinse, wash, dryer). But splitting it up over night and first thing in the morning is a brilliant idea and DH is often up to exercise early so if I can get him in the habit of switching to the next stage as needed that would help me a lot too! :rockon

Titus2Momof4
05-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Well this is interesting. Can't believe I didn't find this thread earlier!

I have tried the "pick up as needed" thing, and it never seems to work out. Somehow, for me, keeping a cleaning schedule FORCES me to do it, even when I don't feel like it, and that's a GOOD thing.

Mondays: Clean Kitchen. Includes dishes, counters, cabinets (INCLUDES cleaning out any 'junk drawer', making sure inside cabinets is straightened out and there are no avalanches, etc.), table, sweeping/hand-scrubbing the floor, cleaning off all kitchen appliances, cleaning out the fridge/cleaning off the fridge, sweeping the pantry. Dust chandelier and anything else that needs dusting. Clean sliding glass door and sweep outside patio (just off the kitchen) if it's stopped raining long enough to allow me to do so.

Tuesday: Living room and family room: pick up any stray items, dust ceiling fans, dust tv and everything on tv stand, sewing table, pictures, window sills......clean with cleaner all surfaces, tables, window sills and windows, large toys in the family room (such as kitchen, my computer desk, etc.), vaccuum, scrub foyer.

Wednesday: Laundry...generally a few loads, and clean out the van.

Thursday: Clean bathrooms (we have 3). Scrub counters, pedestal sink, toilets, floors, tubs/showers. Rotate towels, empty trash cans.

Friday: Tidy up bedrooms, and vaccuum upstairs (bedrooms, school-room...always clean now that we don't homeschool...and upstairs hallway).

Saturday: More laundry

Sunday: none

Our house is 2400+ sf, and two stories. 3 bdrm/2.5 bath, plus a family room and loft. (I didn't have this type of schedule when we lived in a teeny house).

Gentlemum
06-26-2009, 08:47 AM
My week schedule is:

Monday: Laundry
Tuesday: Baking
Wednesday: Secretarial Day (I make phone calls, catch up on email, write letters, mail packages, etc.)
Thursday: Errands Day (we wash the car, go grocery shopping, hit the library and go to the farmer's market)
Friday: Cleaning Day (clean the bathrooms, sweep, vacuum and wash floors and change sheets on beds)

Then supposedly my daily tasks include:

Empty and reload the dishwasher
Do one load of laundry
Wipe down kitchen surfaces (counters, dishwasher, micro, stove and fridge)
Have cuddle time with kids (a half hour close contact, we sing, read together, write letters to grandparents, call aunties on the phone, do baby massage, or fun snuggly things)
Go outdoors
Prep dinner (during the boys nap)
Make dinner
Sweep under the dining room table (after eating)
Quick pick up the house (after kids are in bed)

bananacake
08-13-2009, 02:12 PM
My home is better organized than it's been probably since we moved in, and I'd like to get on a housekeeping schedule. Honestly, though, most of your schedules completely overwhelm me. I wonder if I should start a thread for housekeeping for minimalists - anyone interested?

fireweedmama
08-24-2009, 12:54 PM
This thread made me feel so much better! :giggle I am not the only one who doesn't have or can't stick to a schedule! Now if I can figure out how to not be so hard on myself when I fall behind....

mezzogirl
11-12-2009, 09:42 PM
For a few years now, I have used the "Motivated Moms" homekeeping routine. It has really helped me in so many ways. Each day you have around 5 things to do, as well as daily tasks that are routine. With everything broken down, I am able to see the week at a glance and if I know I am going to have a crazy week, I try to work ahead, or work after the craziness is over. As well, it helps b/c the kids ask what the get to do (hope this lasts) and I just cross that off the list.

Starfish
01-15-2010, 03:07 PM
I can't stick to a set schedule either. What I've been trying is to set up a 'cleaning time' (same time each day). Then I wrote all my weekly chores on slips of paper and put them in a jar. At cleaning time, I pick one out and do that chore. Once all the papers are out of the jar, I toss them back in and start again. I think its more fun, and usually I pick a chore and think "that's not too bad, I can get that chore done".

This doesn't include laundry or grocery shopping, I just do those when I run out of food or clean clothes. :O Before, I tried to have one day as "cleaning day" but that got overwhelming very fast.

LisaMarie
03-04-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm a total housekeeping failure. I've never been successful at keeping my house organized and clean. The best I got was just after I got married and DH & I would spend our Saturdays doing crazy cleaning and then wait til the next week.

A month or 2 ago I found www.justmommies.com 's housekeeping plan and omgosh - my house looks so much more amazing! I am feeling more successful and have seen such an improvement. I'm not embarrassed if people come by, etc.

I'm not where near perfect, but the changes it's motivated in me have been tremendous.

Basically, there's every day routine tasks - morning, afternoon and evening. Then there's daily tasks - like Monday is changing the bathroom towels and bed sheets. and washing the laundry. Tuesday is vacuuming and dusting. Wednesday is washing the bathroom and wiping lightswitches/doorknobs. etc. etc.

Then there's a calendar for the month. Each day has something to do. Like today is sweep the front and rear entrances.

For people who want/need more, there's monthly goals too - like to go through your drawers and get rid of clothes you don't need, etc.

... maybe it sounds more complicated than it really is!

I just printed out what I have to do every day. Printed out a blank meal plan for the week. Printed out the calendar. Then taped them all on my pantry door in sheet protector.

I've also finished reading Steve & Teri Maxwell's book "Managers of their Chores" and have been inspired to include my boys in the housekeeping. I made their little chorepacks and added them to the pantry collection of paperwork. Day 2 of adding them into the plan and they love it! (Hoping that continues). I'm finding getting them involved gets me involved.

My husband has actually mentioned that he can see the difference - and THAT, for me, is success. :) :)

arctic oak
03-22-2010, 07:52 PM
I've just realised in reading all these posts from you lovely ladies that I am more into doing, thinking about, and talking about household chores than I ever thought possible! It seems to consume me these days, but I am trying not to be a perfectionist so that I can also have a balanced life with the kids! Now that #3 is about to be born I maybe need to tone down my expectations in order to stay sane!

My 4 year old told me the other day that I need to learn to live with chaos! I think he's right, but in the meantime my home-keeping schedule is pretty non-stop! So rather than have a weekly schedule like lots of moms out there, I just do things a bit at a time all day, every day- with bigger chores whenever they seem to really need done.

In the morning I make breakfast first (between pregnancy and 2 hungry tummies to feed that is my priority!)- when the kids have mostly finished eating but are still busy with food, I run around making beds, throwing laundry in, doing breakfast dishes, getting snack ready for later, folding diapers, etc. So I do laundry (clothes and/or diapers) every day.

I try to incorporate the boys in the bigger cleaning things- I have dish mops that look like mini floor mops, so they can "help" me wash the floor, they play with the vacuum when I have it out, and I wash the bathroom while they are in the tub. All this is easier now that my youngest is walking and stable in the bath- having another is sure to slow me down for the first while. But even when my youngest was a year old, I'd put him in the sling facing out while I washed the floor (he was at least 25 pounds then, so it was a bit of a workout!).

If I have a chore to do that I need to keep the boys away from (like washing the fridge- they helped at first last time and then I got scared for the eggs!) then I set them up with a craft and confine my 21 month old to his high chair while he colours (usually his tummy rather than the paper).

For me, it's all about being organised in the first place (knowing where things go) and making the most of the minutes when the boys are happy playing. And they love to help so I've had to learn that it might take longer to do something, but they'll be happier if I involve them.

Oh yeah, I also go out as much as possible so the boys let out their energy on something other than the house! They can make as much mess with stones, sand and snow as they like!- or run off steam at community activities. I'm really fortunate to live in a place where there's lots going on for kids.

MarineWifeRet
03-23-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm pretty much hiding with Crystal, but I do have a schedule...it's just that it isn't being used. :shifty

So I'll tell you what I'm supposed to do...

Monday: Bathroom & Master Bedroom (that's clean them, not hang out in them)
Tuesday: Laundry Day, Kids Bedroom, Clean Off Desk
Wednesday: Living Room/Dining Room
Thursday: Errand Day
Friday: Laundry Day, Kitchen, Clean Up Outside

As you can see, it is an easy schedule. There is absolutely no reason I can't stick to that. Oh, and on Monday's I strip the beds and wash sheets. My goal is to bleach them once a month (they are just white sheets) so that they stay pretty.

I really like that schedule! I just happen to like playing on the computer more. :hunh :yes:blush

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

I just need to throw this out in the air:

I am really enjoying finding other Mamas to talk about cleaning with and share experiences and humor. I thought growing up that I'd never amount to a good wife because I didn't learn a lot of this stuff. It's so comforting to me to be able to learn without judgment and pressure. Because of the kindness of everyone, I'm able to do far more than I thought I could. It's like I get on GCM to the happy homekeeping stuff, and instant hope arises from within me. I thank God for this forum.

mamaroland
03-24-2010, 01:57 AM
These posts are all so encouraging. Thank you mamas! I don't have time to read them all so I'm bumping for my reading enjoyment later :)

FarmMama
01-04-2011, 12:30 PM
So many great ideas! I am currently trying to get on paper what it is I WANT done every day and to be more organized. I find that the basics that make the house seem clean (and this is daily) would be two loads of clothes washed and put away (that part is often the hardest for me), two loads in the dishwasher, make beds, wipe down bathroom, and pick up floors. Then maybe atack a hot spot a day? I don't know, just pinging ideas out there. But I love all the ideas that you all have mentioned!

Grace78
04-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Looking fwd to catching up on this thread!

Guardandolaluna
10-16-2011, 12:47 AM
:blush

okay, here goes:

when there are piles of laundry in the bedroom AND laundry room, it's time for a laundry marathon
when I'm tired of having to wash dishes before I can cook, it's time to tame the dish monster (I've been MUCH better about this lately, we do 3 loads of dishes a day in the dishwasher!!!!!!!)
when I am tired of stepping on crumbs in the kitchen, it's time to vacuum
when I can see the floors again in the laundry/bedrooms, it's time to vacuum
when we want to eat at the table, it's time to put all the books away on the shelves where they belong
when we can't find books on the shelves, it's time to straighten them all out and dust the shelves too
when I think someone is coming over, or might step in the door, it's time to put ALL of the toys (downstairs) in a box in the closet, and vacuum the downstairs, wipe down the bathrooms and scrub the toilets.
how's that for a "schedule"?
Jenn
That's my schedule, too! :)

orthodoxmama
12-13-2011, 04:02 PM
I don't really have a set schedule right now but I would like to bc I think it would make things easier! Basically I make sure and wipe down the kitchen and run the dishwasher every day. I try to do 1-2 loads of laundry every other day (for example, mon. and wed.) and then tues and thurs would be my days to fold and put away the laundry that i washed the day before. one day a week is devoted to errands and paying bills, though the day that i do this changes each week. i also try to wash sheets and towels once a week, but again, i don't usually do this on the same day every week. i do love the idea of setting aside a day for baking! that is something i love to do but i feel like i never have time for it anymore so maybe that would help! right now all of my other household chores are done on an 'as needed' basis.

JenniferJuniper
06-25-2012, 08:09 PM
:read

OkiMom
11-02-2012, 03:19 AM
So I recently redid my housekeeping schedule when we started homeschooling in August then twicked it a few weeks ago when my 4th little one was born.. Heres what is "suppose" to be done:
Laundry Schedule:
Monday:children clothing, diapers
Tuesday: my DH/my clothing
Wednesday: towels, diapers
Thursday: linens
Friday: Anything extra that needs to get done, diapers
Saturday: Dh's uniforms, diapers (I don't do housework past upkeep on Sunday so I do everything possible on Saturday so I don't have to do anything on Sunday)

Housework:
Monday: baking/food prep for the week, meal plan if needed
Tuesday: Kitchen and living room
Wednesday: both bathrooms
Thursday: playroom and both bedrooms
Friday: sweep the patio, clean up the yard, sweep the driveway, prep school for next week, prep church clothing
2 Saturdays a month: yard work and other large household projects (Aka: anything I need an extra set of hands to help with :))

Daily tasks:
meal clean up
morning/night clean up
vacuum at night
sweep kitchen
wipe down bathroom sinks each night

Seems like a lot but I only average about 2 hours cleaning per day, that includes laundry and meal clean up. I have a rather small house so it makes clean up quick :) This will change again when DH leaves for training/deployment.

VeganIma
11-14-2012, 08:30 AM
My homekeeping schedule revolves around the Sabbath.

Sunday: Prepare big batches of food for the week
M-W: Tidy up house
Thursday: Vaccuum everywhere, laundry
Friday: Clean bathroom and kitchen; prepare food for the Sabbath

I only have a son and a husband to care for, so my chores aren't too bad!

blondie
12-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Here's what I've come up with and it has CHANGED my life!! We've been doing it for 3 weeks, and I'm not as crazy as I used to be because I have a routine. I'm about half-way through a whole house organizing/decluttering spree and that has helped a ton- to have a specific place for everything to go.

I broke it down into just a few things a day and it's sooo nice. Like today, I was running low on time and started to deep clean the kitchen, and I actually pulled myself away, knowing it will get done later this week. It lifted the stress and time crunch I was feeling and I was able to spend time with my kids.

I underlined what's on my list- just a few words to make it easy for me, but explained a little in case it could help anyone. :heart My list was inspired by a former GCM and I wish she was still around so I could thank her for the jumping board!

Every night before we go to bed :
1. Upstairs toys cleaned up
2. Sink clear or almost clear
3. Kitchen table clear
These are fairly flexible- like if we are out late or have company, but that's only happened a few times.

As needed:
Sweep main floor
Vacuum kitchen rug/shake rugs
Wash cloth diapers
Extra tidying
Extra laundry

M- laundry/change sheets- I take ALL the laundry downstairs and sort it. I wash/fold/put away as much as I possibly can. I usually get almost all of it done- Today I put away 3 baskets that were left over, and washed 2 more loads and I'm totally caught up. I used to try to do one load a day and it was too crazy. Changing sheets this same day guarantees that clean ones get back on my bed, and the spare set gets put back in the closet. I also have cleaning our room on Mondays- picking up my clothes, putting away necklaces that I pile up during the week, etc. On Mondays I also try to make a meal.

T- girl's rooms - I keep Tuesdays and Thursdays easy because I work in the evenings and try to reserve some of my energy for that. I just check their rooms for any extra messes that need to be cleaned up. Or I organize their pajama drawers, clean up random stuff that may have fallen to the closet floors, get the changing table organized, etc DH's Tuesday job is to clean up the basement - Today I did it for him, but will ask him to vacuum the family room, change the cat litter, put away a few dishes, and sweet the laundry room. I don't usually make meals on Tuesdays or Thursdays- DH will make something, do leftovers, or do something easy like sandwiches and veggies.

W- Dust. I haven't done this yet. :shifty I'll be dusting one or two rooms a week once I get the dusting going. Organize a closet or drawer. Tidy main floor. Make a meal.

T- Deep clean kitchen - I wipe everything down, organize a cabinet or drawer, clean up the fridge, microwave, etc. I also do bathrooms on Thursdays, so they are fresh for the weekend in case we end up with company. DH's job is to finish the bathroom and do trash on this night. Gather everything and take it down...although we might swap his Tu and Th jobs because of the garbage dude's schedule. :think

F- Free day/Catch up day. I usually take the girls out to do something on Fridays. Shopping, playdates, etc. I try to make a meal. My main thing on Fridays is to plan next week's homeschool stuff.

S- I work on Saturdays, so I'm free, but DH does the upstairs floors (we have hardwood that he refinished, so he likes to check it out every week and watch how it wears<3) and any of his laundry that I may have missed/didn't have time for.

bclemons84
12-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Blondie, your cleaning schedule sounds very much like mine. I will add that I vacuum our apartment every other day just to because it is so dusty in here for some reason and that really bothers my sinuses. Other than that, I do spend around 30 minutes to 1 hour a day doing cleaning stuff but it is spread throughout the day and it depends on what Jada is doing. I get most of my cleaning done during her afternoon nap or in the evenings after she gets to bed.
I LOVE having a place to put everything. :)

JenniferJuniper
12-18-2012, 07:48 PM
I just found this schedule and have been LOVING it! I got it from moneysavingmoms dot com - in their downloadable section. She's gives her example, but there's a customizable one as well.

I have it broken into daily and weekly:

Daily

Before Breakfast
- Shower & Dress
- Make Beds
- Get Eloise Up & Changed
- Start Load of Laundry
- Put Clean dinner dishes away

After Breakfast
- Clean up Breakfast Dishes
- Take out Meat for Dinner
- 5-Minute Pick Up ((These are my LIFE savers!))
- Flip Laundry

After Lunch
- Eloise down for Nap
- Clean Lunch Dishes
- Put Clean Breakfast Dishes Away
- Sweep Kitchen Floor
- 5-Minute Pick up & Quiet Time

Before Dinner
- Dinner Prep
- Fold & Put Away Laundry
- Day of the Week Chores
- 5-Minute Pick Up

After Dinner
- Clean up Dinner Dishes
- 5-Minute Pick Up

Weekly To-Do

Monday
- Strip and Wash Bedding
- Clean Bathroom

Tuesday
- Kitchen - Clean out refrigerator
- Wipe Down Appliances
- Mop Kitchen floor

Wednesday
- Vacuum & Dust 2nd Floor
- Clean 2nd floor Windows & Blinds

Thursday
- Grocery Shopping/Errands
- Meal Plan for the Week

Friday
-Vacuum & Dust Main Floor
- Get Behind Couch / Toy Hunt
- Every 2nd week - vacuum under couch cushions

Saturday
- Outside work
- Clean out Car

Sunday
- Crock-Pot Meal
- Day Of Rest

So that's what I've been doing and LOVING it! I feel so much more organized and cleaner! I'm really making a commitment to stick to it! :thumbsup

Peace,
- Jenny

GamGam007
01-29-2013, 11:09 PM
I have a schedule for my home, but have not been following it lately. However, I LOVE seeing everyone's schedules! It's encouraging. :)

FarmMama
02-05-2013, 01:23 PM
So many great ideas! I am currently trying to get on paper what it is I WANT done every day and to be more organized. I find that the basics that make the house seem clean (and this is daily) would be two loads of clothes washed and put away (that part is often the hardest for me), two loads in the dishwasher, make beds, wipe down bathroom, and pick up floors. Then maybe atack a hot spot a day? I don't know, just pinging ideas out there. But I love all the ideas that you all have mentioned!
*cough* two years later aaaaand still working on a schedule :shifty

LadybugSam
05-14-2013, 11:09 AM
I need to go through this again. I have NOT been keeping up with regular maintenance on the house. I've been picking up, but besides dishes, cleaning has not been happening here.

I've even been forgetting to do laundry on a regular basis :bag

Time to recommit!

Snake_Girl
05-23-2013, 11:57 AM
I don't do well with a rigid schedule. I use my own version of FlyLady's morning routine (I THRIVE on a morning routine - it just sets the whole tone for the rest of the day) but for the rest of the day we pretty much fly by the seat of our pants! I would like to dedicate a day to each part of the house. Something like Monday - living room, Tuesday - kitchen, Wednesday - bathroom, Thursday - bedrooms, Friday - outside work. We're about to move, though, so I'm going to wait to try and implement that.

Sparrow
06-11-2013, 09:52 PM
How often do you wipe baseboards and stuff? Doors? Cupboard doors?

MariekeSings
11-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Subbing to come back and read the whole thing.

princessrhani
02-17-2014, 04:34 AM
I love Fly Lady! I need to get back on the cleaning bandwagon!

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

What's the run down on motivational mum? Is it similar to Fly Lady?

LadybugSam
02-17-2014, 01:56 PM
What's the run down on motivational mum? Is it similar to Fly Lady?

its different. its a premade checklist that changes (very slightly) from week to week

LeoCross
03-30-2014, 10:21 PM
Coming back to this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwoMams
07-26-2014, 04:38 PM
I have a loose daily routine moreso than schedule, and I have to keep it flexible with a one year old and a three year old to care for. Often I sleep quite badly between the two of them, with breastfeeding overnight so don't want to overload with work.
Meals are the priority here as I am currently following "The Maker's Diet" and the rest of the household eats more Nourishing Traditions style. This means my house is often messy because there just ain't time to do it all!
Morning is breakfast, unpack/repack dishwasher, a load of washing on a good day, a break for me (20 minutes online with tea or coffee) then it's art or school stuff (homeschoolers to be!).
Around midmorning I start lunch and prep dinner. After lunch is a quick floor pick-up and vacuum in the main areas then I take the girls outside to garden for as long as I can manage.
In again for snack, more washing (laundry) then the girls play and I relax for a bit before dinner, bath, bed, clean kitchen (again, on a good day! :D).
I find that if we are home several days in a row I am caught up enough on the basics to then spend time on the bathroom, bedrooms and more deep cleaning needs - this is really on done when the areas get messy enough to annoy me.

JenniferJuniper
07-28-2014, 07:55 AM
ARG! Reading my old schedule is kinda depressing..I was doing so good and I've fallen off the wagon, time to RECOMMIT! :D

---------- Post added at 06:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

I try to do a wipedown of cupboards once every 2 weeks, baseboards..honestly, when I notice they look gross. ;) Lol

peekaboomama
07-28-2014, 11:05 AM
I'm so bad at housekeeping; I have a loose schedule this summer that I'm finally getting towards following. It's not extensive; I'm operating under the "it's better to do SOMETHING than nothing" mindset. But I've made major strides over the past 3 months and I'm really pleased!

Every day: stay on top of dishes and laundry, general pick up, wipe off the table and sweep - ideally after every meal but realistically at least once a day. I've come to appreciate making our bed. Garden work while the kids play in the yard. And quick wipe the bathroom surfaces (we only have one bathroom so it gets dirty fast).

Monday: Kitchen
Tuesday: Change and wash sheets and towels; make grocery list
Wednesday: Errands and clean out car
Thursday: Dust (ha! rarely happens) and Declutter
Friday: Floors - vacuum and mop
Saturday: Yard work, family errands
Sunday: Get head on straight for another week!

Things like blinds, baseboards, cabinet doors, etc get done when they catch my attention... which doesn't happen all that often. That will get added to my rotation eventually. Right now I've just got to get the habit of doing some cleaning every single day.

mrskellyray
10-20-2014, 09:48 PM
This is so helpful!! I've been trying so hard to find a good cleaning schedule! Now how do you find motivation?

FarmMama
10-21-2014, 10:34 AM
This is so helpful!! I've been trying so hard to find a good cleaning schedule! Now how do you find motivation?

:popcorn

princessrhani
11-30-2014, 06:33 PM
This is something I struggle with so much!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk