PDA

View Full Version : Casseroles and Crock-pot meals

Mothering by Heart
03-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Easy does it! Share your recipes for those one-pot meals that save time and energy :)

Please note our copyright guidelines for recipes:

Since a list of ingredients is not copyrighted, but the directions may be (depending on if they are creative or not), when you post recipes that you got from a book or elsewhere, please write the directions in your own words, adding your own special recipe tips and colorful descriptions, etc. Thank you! :)

2sunshines
03-15-2005, 02:40 PM
I like making beef roast in the crock pot.

I put the roast in, add a can of tomato soup (though someday I would like to modify this to make it more natural) and set it on low and walk away. :mrgreen

About 6 hours later I have a delicious tender roast with some yummy gravy. The tomato soup blends with the meat juices to make a nice beefy-tomatoey gravy.

ArmsOfLove
03-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Not that I do meat ;) but I did learn that adding a can of Coke to beef in the crock pot makes it super tender.

Mama Calidad
03-15-2005, 02:54 PM
French Dip Sandwiches
Put roast, 1 can of beer, 1 can of condensed French Onion soup and 1 can of water into crock pot. :yum I haven't made this in a while, so I don't know what's in that can of French Onion soup. :shifty

ArmsOfLove
03-17-2005, 08:09 AM
I did a little more searching on coke in the crock pot, and I found a recipe for barbequed chicken that adds bbq sauce and coke to chicken in the crock pot, with ketchup and onion soup on a roast, and something with ham that I didn't bother investigating :lol

Allison
03-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Cream Cheese Crock Pot Chicken
This is SO good. I make it no less than twice a month.
http://www.cookingcache.com/crockpot/creamcheesecrockpotchicken.shtml

Allison
03-19-2005, 10:47 AM
http://www.geocities.com/webcipes2/chick/i141.html

Allison
03-19-2005, 10:48 AM
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,182,151166-247200,00.html

kris10s
03-19-2005, 09:23 PM
A One-pot meal!

JAMBALAYA
2 t. olive oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
10 oz.+ of sausage (cajun or kielbasa), sliced
1/2 of an onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1/2 t. onion powder
t each of salt and pepper
2 c. uncooked rice
4 c. chicken broth (one carton)
2 t. worchestershire
1 t. hot pepper sauce (more or less, depending on your preference)

Start all the cubing/slicing/dicing. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Saute chicken and sausage until light brown (about 5 minutes). Stir in onion, pepper, celery, carrots and garlic. Season with cayenne, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cook 5 more minutes. Add rice and stir in broth, crank it up and bring it to a boil. Cover and simmer at least 20 minutes, until the rice is tender. Stir in worchestershire and hot pepper sauce.

Serves 4+.

Abinsmom
03-19-2005, 10:13 PM
(Disclaimer: This is a recipe I got from someone on this board about 3 years ago and I can't remember who it was! It is fabulous, and I'm posting it because it is so easy for busy moms, is easily made vegetarian, and is simply delicious!).
-----------------------------------

Tex-Mex Soup (8 servings, 1 ½ cups each)

1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 pkg (1.25-oz) taco seasoning mix
1 pkg (1-oz) ranch dressing mix
1 15-oz can black beans
½ of a 15-oz can corn
1 15.5-oz can great northern beans (or white beans if you can’t find great northern)
1 15.5-oz can pinto beans
1 16-oz can chicken broth
1 14.5-oz can tomatoes with chiles
1 14.5-oz can stewed tomatoes

Stovetop method: Brown meat and drain fat. Add seasoning mixes. Drain and rinse canned beans. Add to turkey. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Serve hot.

Crockpot method (preferred): Brown meat and add seasonings. Drain and rinse beans, then add all ingredients to crock pot, mixing thoroughly. Cook on low all day.

Vegetarian version: Omit turkey and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Mix all ingredients together in crock pot and cook on low all day.

Serve with corn bread or tortillas, rice (brown rice is our favorite!), and garnish with guacamole, sour cream, or crushed tortilla chips. Freezes well, also!

Thia
03-20-2005, 09:53 AM
If you do the jumbalya, be careful. I have a similar recipe for it that I use and dh loves it....as in, he eats it every week if I make it!

Katigre
03-20-2005, 10:40 AM
That tex-mex recipe sounds great! I've been looking for crock pot meals like that. I just pasted it into word to print :).

Miss Priss
03-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Not that I do meat ;) but I did learn that adding a can of Coke to beef in the crock pot makes it super tender.

VANILLA coke is heavenly!! :yum

Miss Priss
03-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Taco soup
brown 1lb ground beef with onions, or crumble up 1 lb tofu (done it both ways, taste great either way) with a little water and taco seasoning
Pour into pan and add:
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn
1 28 oz can dices tomatoes
tomato paste in case it's needed (depends on if you like it thick or not)
Heat and serve over fritos, put sour cream and cheese on top if you like

Radosny Matka
03-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Mexican beef stew

1 lb beef stew meat
small onion
1 green pepper
1 can rotel
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can white beans
1 can corn

Put stew meat, chopped onion, and chopped green pepper, rotel, and tomatoes into crock pot. Cook on low for 6 hours. Add beans and corn. Turn crockpot onto high and cook for 1 hour so flavors can meld. Then enjoy. This is a family favorite, is super easy, and extra yummy!

Radosny Matka
03-21-2005, 12:56 PM
Sweet potato casserole

Ingredients:
3 15 oz. cans sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c margarine, softened
2 eggs, beaten
1 c milk
1 tsp vanilla

Topping:
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. flour
1/3 c. margarine, melted

Directions:
Mix all the ingredients for the sweet potato mixture and put it in a pan (I used a 9x13).

Mix all the topping ingedients until crumbly. Add flour as necessary to get crumbs. Sprinkle on top of the sweet potato mixture.

Bake uncovered at 350 for 45 minutes. (I think I baked mine longer because the topping still looked wet in the center. Just keep checking on it after the first 45 minutes.)

Radosny Matka
03-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Title: Deep dish chicken pot pie

Description:
A very hearty and yummy pie. You can easily add or omit ingredients to your tastes. Warning - this makes a very full (heaping) pie. If you don't like a really full pie, cut back on the ingredients by half (except for the soup - add the full amount).

Ingredients:
1 can cream of potato soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 deep dish pie crust (will use top and bottom - be sure to get deep dish or your filling won't fit)
2 cups chopped chicken, cooked
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 medium potato, chopped
2 small carrots, chopped
1-1/2 celery stalks
1/2 onion
mushrooms, chopped (didn't measure, put what looks good)
brocolli, chopped (didn't measure, put what looks good)
1 clove garlic
milk
salt and pepper to taste

thyme is a very popular ingredient in pot pies. I personally do not care for the taste of thyme. You can add it if you like, but it tastes great without it.

Directions:
1. Defrost pie crust according to directions

2. Add chicken, soup, peas, corn, and potatoes to a large bowl and mix.

3. Add remaining mixed veggies into pan and sautee until just tender (put a little oil into btm of pan). (You could probably omit this step, but I wanted to ensure that none of my veggies would be crunchy in my pie (yuck) and to let the flavors mix)

4. Add sauteed veggies into chicken mixture and mix well. Add enough milk so that the sauce is neither soupy or pasty. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add thyme if preferred.

5. Add the filling to the pie pan. Cover with the top crust and poke air holes into the crust.

6. Bake at 375 degress for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until crust is cooked and golden brown. If the edges get too dark, you can cover them with foil. I put my pie onto a baking sheet before putting it into the oven to make it easier to get into and out of the oven.

Radosny Matka
03-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Title: Vegetable Lasagna

Description:
I am making this for dinner tonight, and it is really, really good!

Ingredients:
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup pepper, chopped
1 small zuccinni, chopped
1 8 oz package mushrooms, chopped
3 carrrots, shredded
1 tub of ricotta
1 egg
pinch of salt (it really needs more than a pinch)
chives
2 packages shredded cheese (4 cheese is best)
1 large jar of spaghetti sauce
1 box lasagna noodles

Directions:
Sautee veggies until tender.

Mix ricotta, egg, salt, and chives

Add veggies to ricotta mixture and mix

cook noodles and layer in pan. put ricotta/veggie mixture on lap and cover with cheese. Proceed with more layers.

Bake at 350 about 30 - 40 minutes

Radosny Matka
03-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Title: Chicken Shepard's Pie

Description:
Here is my mom's yummy version to the good ol' favorite...

Ingredients:
(This recipe is for about 4)

-2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
-1 can corn or bag of frozen corn
-1 can of mushroom soup
-5 potatoes, mashed (or use instant potatoes to make meal extra fast)

Directions:
Cut chicken into bite size pieces and brown in skilet with oil. Place in casserole dish and add mushroom soup. Mix together. Add corn and spread to make an even layer. Spread the mashed potatoes on top.

Bake in 350 degree oven until mashed potatoes start to turn golden.

Thia
03-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Need:
1 small onion
garlic (I used jarred minced)
2 cans cream of something soup (I've used potato or cheddar)
3-4 cups of frozen corn
2 cans of tuna
Seasonings (whatever you like, I use salt, pepper, dill, oregano, crushed red pepper)
Egg Noodles, I think I use about 8-10 cups

In a saucepan cook up a small onion and some garlic (depends on your family's taste). When they are just browning add the corn, stir, add two cans of cream of potato soup (cream of cheddar works too). Add your seasonings to taste. Then add two cans of drained tuna. Heat through. Mix with hot egg noodles. I like to add some cheese to mine either cheddar, pepper jack, or parm.

It is really easy to make, in the time it took to boil water and cook the egg noodles, it was done. We had plenty of leftovers for the next night. I do believe it tastes less like tuna if you use the cream of cheddar. I'd like to try some celery cooked with the onion and maybe brocolli instead of corn.

Oliveshoots
04-18-2005, 07:57 AM
This was SOOOO easy. Steaks. Can of soup. 2 cans of water. Sprinkled with thyme. Easy!

Sunday morning before church (about 7 am) I threw in some sirloin steaks and cream of mushroom with roasted garlic soup, couple cans of water, and set on high for 5 hrs. Then I boiled some whole wheat egg noodles and dumped them in for about 15 minutes on warm. Steamed some veggies...yum!!! oh and I sprinkled some dried thyme over the meat.

It wasn't quite salty enough, so I added some later.

So here's the "recipe" if anyone is interested:

4 sirloin steaks (about 1 inch thick) thawed.
1 can cream mushroom/roasted garlic soup
About 2 cups water (enough to cover meat in bottom of crock pot)
1 tsp dried thyme

Place meat in crock pot, spread soup over meat (could salt and pepper meat first if desired), sprinkle tsp of dried thyme; pour water over until meat is covered. (I know the crock pot recipe book usually says not too much water, but this worked for me, since I was guessing. It also recommends adding dried herbs at the end of the cooking time, but again, this worked great for me. Cook on high for 5 hrs. (Maybe 6, depending on how thick and big your steaks are).

Yummy!

Oh, another add-in....I'm thinking a small container of sour cream would have been nice to add in the last few minutes, or even just stir in while it's still warm. With the noodles, it would be kind of like a stroganoff.

I also made some easy glazed carrots with it....just boiled the baby carrots, drained off the water, added 1/4 stick of butter, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, dash of cinnamon, about 1 tablespoon regular sugar. (Measurements are estimated, I didn't measure, just dumped stuff in.) But they turned out great! Not too sweet, but tasty. ALMOST as good as my mom's carrot souffle, which I couldn't find the recipe for.

Soliloquy
04-23-2005, 08:41 PM
We love carrot chowder at our house. It doesn't taste like cooked carrots (I hate cooked carrots) but it's full of carrots--very good for you! This recipe says to cook it on the stove but I cook it in my crock pot. 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, some grated chedder, oyster crackers, and Tabasco sauce. YUM!

http://www.dvo.com/recipes_archive/carrot_chowder.html

mykidsmom
05-13-2005, 04:14 PM
(Disclaimer: This is a recipe I got from someone on this board about 3 years ago and I can't remember who it was! It is fabulous, and I'm posting it because it is so easy for busy moms, is easily made vegetarian, and is simply delicious!).
-----------------------------------

Tex-Mex Soup (8 servings, 1 ½ cups each)

Just wanted to add- we just tried this recipe yesterday and it was very good. Also, very filling. :yum

Nancy
05-27-2005, 08:08 AM
Mexican beef stew

1 lb beef stew meat
small onion
1 green pepper
1 can rotel
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can white beans
1 can corn

This sounds good......but I am going to sound like a dolt. What is "rotel"?

Marrae
05-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Rotel tomatoes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A brand of canned chopped tomatoes that include chopped chili peppers or jalapenos.

Cherish
05-27-2005, 08:54 AM
8 can soup!

One pound ground beef, browned and drained

1 can water
1 can corn
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 can vegetable soup
1 can tomato soup
1 can veg-all mixed vegetables
1 can hormel chili with beans
1 can no bean chili

Very cheap. Very yummy. Especially a day or two later when all the flavors have mingled well. Whole wheat sourdough with it is to die for!! :)

Dizzy Blond
06-14-2005, 05:21 PM
We love this one:

INGREDIENTS:
2 cup uncooked rice (I use brown rice)
1/2 cup chopped onion (I often skip this)
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 pound ground beef
1 can of corn
1 can tomato sauce (w/ spices if you like)
1 can of tomato paste
Worchestire sauce to taste
1 cup water (or less)
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste (not necessary)

DIRECTIONS:
Cook rice to done or almost done.
Saute onion and bell pepper and saute for 5 minutes, or until onions are tender. Add the ground beef and saute until browned. Drain excess oil and fat.
Add the corn, tomato sauce, worchestire sauce and water & rice. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked, stirring occasionally. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.

Punkie
06-28-2005, 07:27 AM
Mac and cheese

1 cup elbow macaroni (I use more like 1/2 - 2/3 a box)
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 dash pepper
1 1/4 cups milk
6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
bread

Cook macaroni in unsalted water until tender, but firm.

In a medium saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour and pepper. Add milk all at once. Stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Add cheese. Stir until melted. Stir in cooked macaroni and pour into casserole.

Cut the bread into cubes. Melt enough butter to coat the bread. Toss the bread in the butter. Sprinkle on top of mac and cheese. Top with paprika, if desired (I usually don't, but my family does).

Bake in a 350 oven for 25-30 minutes, or until it is bubbly and the bread is slightly browned.

Leslie
10-03-2005, 03:06 PM
Last year, when I discovered that I can't eat wheat, I tried substituting cooked rice for bread cubes in my stuffing for Thanksgiving, and it was really good! This is my attempt to adapt that and make it a complete meal, and do it in a crock pot. Everyone in my family likes it! Even my 9 year-old son who only likes about two meals that I make!

Stuffing Rice

Saute:
1 minced onion
1 stick butter, margarine or oil

Add:
chicken, diced (I used 1 chicken breast)
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Throw in the crockpot with:
1 1/2 cups brown rice
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup water

Stir and cook on high 4-5 hours. It takes a LONG time for brown rice to cook in a crock pot.

Nancy
10-10-2005, 07:43 AM
My family loves this recipe.......I fix it up on a day that I work and it's ready for them for supper and if I'm lucky there's a bit left over when I get home from work!

Italian Stew

1 1/2 lbs. beef cubes
2-3 carrots, cut in 1 inch chucks (I just put in a bunch of the baby carrots)
3-4 ribs celery, cut in 1 inch pieces
1 medium onion cut into eighths
14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes with Italian spices
1/3 C Minute Tapioca
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T. Italian Seasoning (I use Italian Herb Blend from the Spice House)

Combine all ingredients in slow cookerl Cover. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

LadyBird
10-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Here is a very quick and easy meal to prepare if you like Mexican and mildly spicy.

1/2 bag of Santitas tortilla chips
1 can of Campbell's Chicken Verde soup (whisk with one can milk in a saucepan till warm)
2 cups of shredded cheese (more if you are a chees-a-holic like DH)
1 small package of thinly sliced pork steaks....(very cheap...paid about 2.50)
kosher salt, and fajita seasoning

I just browned the meat in a pan with the seasonings and then cut them into little pieces and set aside.
In a long baking dish, spray some pam, then put in the chips
toss the meat in with the chips
pour the soup over the chips, and add the shredded cheese on top

put in the oven at about 375 for about 15 min or so.

and serve! It tastes very similar to chicken enchiladas. serve with sour cream (optional) very cheap, and great for cold winter nights! enjoy!

asher
12-02-2005, 03:59 PM
Allison or anyone else who can answer this silly question :bag~

Are the kidney beans in the red beans & rice dried or canned?

I CAN'T wait to try this & the jambalaya!

:O Tina

Mothering by Heart
12-02-2005, 06:43 PM
I would think they would be canned. Dried beans take forever in the crockpot.

Bonnie
01-07-2006, 11:20 PM
This is yummmmy. Got it out of a slow-cooker magazine. The original calls for four drumsticks and four thighs, skin removed. I don't do bones :/, so I made it like this:

1 large onion, sliced
grated peel and juice of one orange (or a liberal sprinkling of dry orange peel and some OJ, LOL)
2 Tbsp each Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp minced garlic (I used freeze-dried)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup dried fruit (they recommend and I used 1/2 c each of dried cranberries and snipped dried apricots)

Cover the bottom of your slow-cooker with the onion slices. Mix the orange peel, juice, W sauce, soy sauce, mustard, and garlic in a large bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Dump chicken and sauce blend on top of the onion and arrange meat so it's in an even layer. Add fruit on top. Cover. Cook on low 8 hours.

I'm not a huge fan of onions, but after 8 hours they're so tender and caramelized...Mmmm. The one change I'll probably make next time I do this will be to add another 1/2 c of fruit. :)

Mothering by Heart
01-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Bonnie, that sounds so good!! I don't do bones either!! :grin

DogwoodMama
01-08-2006, 12:38 PM
That sounds yummy! (I think I'll try it with bones, though, doesn't bother me and it's cheaper.)

What did you serve it with? Rice maybe? Green salad?

Bonnie
01-08-2006, 12:59 PM
I put it over a 50/50 white/brown rice blend. And the pic in the magazine shows it with broccoli. :mrgreen

Lantern Light Mama
01-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Oh, I cant wait to try some of these. Heres my easy stew.

2 cups of water
1 tsp salt
1 onion
stew meat or thin sliced steak.
cook until tender
drain

then add.
one can of V8 or veggie juice
one bag of frozen soup veggies
one potatoe
about 1/4 an onion for flavor
put the meat back in
cook on slow heat for about 4 or 5 hours.

cornbread for soup:

1 cup of corn meal
1 cup of self rising flour
one egg
1 can creamed corn
salt
pepper
sugar (only about 1/4 tsp of each)
mix.
preheat oven 300F
oil a cast iron skillet or baking pan
put in oven for ten minutes to heat
take it out and put your mixture in (this gives it a crunchy crust)
back into the oven. bake for one hour or until golden brown or cracked.

amstermarie
01-27-2006, 07:48 AM
wanted to share this link...
http://www.a-crock-cook.com/slow-cooker-recipe.html

herbalwriter
02-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the link! :tu

RealLifeMama
07-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Two Recipes, Can be made back to back.

I originally got this recipe as a pork recipe from a menu mailer, but I modified it a lot and made it my own and use chicken instead of pork.
The best part is that my favorite Chicken Tortilla Casserole can be made in no time the next night or so!

Green Chile Chicken
Cooking Oil
A couple pounds of Chicken Breast
1 small Green Pepper
1 small Onion
1/2 cup of chicken broth
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder or can use fresh
1 small can of Green Chile Salsa (Salsa Verde)

Heat a little oil in pan. Season chicken with salt/pepper and
Brown chicken on both sides in hot pan.
Put chicken in crock pot.
In same pan, saute green peppers and onions until kind of soft, add garlic.
Add peppers, onions and garlic to crock pot, and pour chicken broth and salsa verde over it.
Cook on low for 6 hours.
I shred it when it is done.
We love this chicken! You can eat it plain, with beans and rice on the side, use it for tortilla filling, DH likes it with cheese and tortilla chips. Enchiladas, whatever. You could probably use it with white beans and a little more broth and make white chili, too.
It is really good. My DH eats seconds and thirds and he usually does not like white meat chicken especially in a crock pot!

With the leftovers, I can make my favorite chicken tortilla casserole, but with shortcuts.
Chicken Tortilla Casserole

2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded or chopped
1/2 cup each onion and celery, chopped
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can green chilis
1 - 1 1/2 cup each monterey jack and chedder cheeses, shredded
1/2 bag tortilla chips or 1 pkg corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
favorite salsa (red)

Put chicken in large bowl. In pan, saute onion and celery in broth until tender. ( I have been skipping this and just omitting the celery if I am using the chicken from before, I also omitted the chilis for cost reasons, but you could add them if you want)
Add to chicken. Add can of soup, chilis and half the cheeses.
Add tortilla chips or strips. If it is too dry, add more broth. If it is too wet/soggy, add more chips. This is really, really easy to stretch by just using more chips and more broth until you get as much as you need. With the leftover crock pot chicken there is usually enough broth I don't have to add more unless I want to stretch it with a lot of chips.

Spread in pan. Top with salsa and remaining cheeses. Bake at 350 until bubbly.

jamilyian
08-31-2006, 10:18 PM
I just made the Red Beans and Rice w/ Sausage recipe and dh really liked it! I modified the recipe a bit. It says to use 3 qts of water, but that seemed like too much so I only used 1 1/2 qts. I also cooked the rice in the stew instead of seperately.

Littledisciples
12-28-2006, 09:27 PM
Here is a healthful Cassorole I made up one day.

Chicken/Millet Cassorole

My kids love this and have no idea how healthy it is for them.

Chicken breast
Broccoli 1-bag frozen or 1 pound fresh
Noodles (whole wheat is healthier)
Millet
Alfredo Sauce either buy a package or Make your own.
Fresh Garlic 3 cloves or as to your prefrence
Fresh Onion chopped 1 medium will do
Pepper and Salt to taste
butter
Cheese

In a big sauce pan with a lid.
Start Cooking Millet it takes 30 min to cook. 20 min into cooking Millet add broccoli and let it cook. This step can be adjusted according to your prefrence for doneness on broccoli.
Then after you get the millet on get your chicken going. Chop into little pieces. Add to the millet and broccoli mixture. By this time you probably can turn the mixture to low or warm.
Cook some noodles up and then add that to the mixture.
Make your sauce or packet and add it too the mixture. This is the time to saute your onions and garlic if using a packet just add it to it. If homemade sauce then your onions and garlic will be sauted first.*see below.
Stir it all up and add cheese. Put the lid back on it and let the cheese melt a bit.
Serve with Salt and Pepper to taste. And Garlic Bread to go.

*Home made Sauce. Saute Onions and Garlic, when they carmalize good and are just right add a bit of flour, then add milk or cream which ever you prefer. Stir it tell its thickned a bit add it to the mixture. In a pinch you can use powdered milk just make it up ahead of time. When it's time to add the milk just add it instead.

Another good classic I make

Shepards Pie

Ingredients:

2 -3 lbs Hamburger Meat (lean) Or Ground Turkey

1 med Onion

2 stalks Celery

1/2 Green Pepper (1 whole pepper if small.

5 cups Mashed Potatoes

1 can 12 oz Tomato Paste

12 oz Cheddar/ or American Cheese

1 tsp Garlic

1 tsp Onion Powder

1-1/2 tsp Oregano

Salt and Pepper to taste

1/4 cup water

Preparation Time:Appox 45 min
Directions:

Step 1 ...Cut up your celery and onion in bite size pieces, saute in a little oil, until onion is translucent. Remove vegetables, add hamburger and cook until done. (If you are using Ground Turkey add directly to the pan of celery and onion and pepper, cook until done, no need to drain).

Drain grease and return hamburger to pan with the celery and onion. Add all your spices and 1/4 cup water. Let simmer 10 minutes. Add your tomato paste mixing well.

Step 2 ..Instant potato's work best with this recipe since it is a quick meal for an entire family. Make your potato's according to the directions, approximate 5 cups. (For added flavor to your potatoes, add some onion powder, salt and pepper, or what ever spices you like. (A TBL of mayonaise will make them rich in flavor and very few know why your potato's are so great!)

In a casserole dish place the meat mixture on the bottom, cover with potatoes and top with the cheese.

Bake on 350 degree's for 20 minutes. Or you may put in microwave to a few minutes to melt the cheese!

Careful: will be hot!!

Hint: Better made the day before or make and freeze for another night.

herbalwriter
12-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Joy, those sound wonderful! :yum
Question - with the homemade alfredo sauce, do you add parmesan cheese? And is the cheese referred to in that recipe parmesan or cheddar? Just wondering. I will probably actually try these so I wanted to know! :)

Littledisciples
12-30-2006, 07:10 PM
Joy, those sound wonderful! :yum
Question - with the homemade alfredo sauce, do you add parmesan cheese? And is the cheese referred to in that recipe parmesan or cheddar? Just wondering. I will probably actually try these so I wanted to know! :)

You can use what ever cheese you want I think Parmesan fresh grated is the best but in a pinch about any thing will work. You can even use non dairy cheese too I done that before. Hope that helps you out. I love making homeade sauces they go further and taste so good to me.

herbalwriter
12-30-2006, 07:40 PM
Thank you!

I like homemade sauces too. I don't do mixes. ;)